The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1971 Cutlass S Project Newbie

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2018, 06:11 AM

1971 Cutlass S Project Newbie

Hi Everyone - Just picked up a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass S, that the previous owner tried to clone into a 442.
I am totally new in regards to classics. I've owned a few Corvettes, mostly C5 Z06s, and recently a C6 Z06. They were all modded, with at least headers, intakes, tunes etc.; two had cams - great cars. I sold the C6 Z06 last month to help fund a kitchen renovation. I thought about getting a cheaper C5 Z06, but feel like I've been there already and I've always had a thing for the late 60s, early 70s pure American muscle cars.

I looked for either a Cutlass or a Buick Skylark. My budget was right around $2-2.5k. Seemed like everything was rusted/rotted, shell, or not running in that price range. I came across this 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass S, about an hour from my house. Asking price was $4500, but I ended up getting it for $2,400. Maybe you guys can weigh in on whether it was a good buy or not...

It's red, which I am not a fan of and will eventually be repainted; has the stock Rocket 350 with Holley intake and carb that knocks very loudly - I think it's a rod knock. Still starts, runs and drives, but not a lot of power. Has metal flakes in oil. Has had the rear trunk pan and quarters redone already; aftermarket fiberglass hood; heater core is out; interior seats are in good condition but have been reupholstered - maybe a kit, since I found the white headrest skins in the trunk; it's a one legger, but best of all it's a 4 speed!

Thank you in advance and I look forward to learning and chatting with you all. I will try to upload some pictures.

Konrad

Last edited by konrad; November 27th, 2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:18 AM

Welcome to the site, will be a fun project, nothing tons of money and time cant fix! LOL
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:32 AM

Thank you! Unfortunately, not a lot of time, or money, haha! I want to get this thing on the road this week!
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Oldsmobiles!
Thats a fair price IMO depending on how the body work was done and frame condition but prob worth close to that in parts. Looks like a good project but be careful because this could have the potential of getting away from you from an ROI perspective. A real documented 71 442 would be a different story but it is a 4 spd and has some nice options and when it come down to it, do what makes you happy. Good luck and your in the right place on the Net and there is a parts vendor in CT by the name of Fusicks automotive who specialize in Olds and Buick cars. Im in MA also not too far.
Any idea what trans?

P.S. Are you sure its a clone? what's the VIN start with?
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:43 AM
delete

For the price paid its def well bought. It's worth way more than that in parts. More pics would be helpful.
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by konrad
Thank you! Unfortunately, not a lot of time, or money, haha! I want to get this thing on the road this week!
Well it seems like your 350 is not long for this world, pull it now or you may end up with a basket of parts. You should be able to find a running 455 or lesser sized Olds engine to drop in. Thing is Olds had a stick crank and an auto trans crank so that would be an issue. I have had limited success with the adapter bearings/bushings to convert an auto crank to stick. Please don't even consider putting a Chevy engine in there....
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:55 AM

Thanks guys - that makes me feel better. I really went into this not knowing much about these, so I was hoping not to lose out.
The VIN starts with 336, or 366, I'm not there at the time and can't check. But that was one of the things I googled before buying - how to identify a 442 by VIN. I don't remember what it had to be for that year, but it didn't match. Regardless, I thought the car has potential.
Scrappie, I don't know what transmission it has in it. How can I tell? It does need a clutch, which I'll be replacing when replacing the motor.
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Well it seems like your 350 is not long for this world, pull it now or you may end up with a basket of parts. You should be able to find a running 455 or lesser sized Olds engine to drop in. Thing is Olds had a stick crank and an auto trans crank so that would be an issue. I have had limited success with the adapter bearings/bushings to convert an auto crank to stick. Please don't even consider putting a Chevy engine in there....
I did not know that about the crank. I found two rocket 350s in my area, one a complete and another a shortblock, but now I guess I have to verify cranks. Or, should I pick one of those up and just change out the cranks?
Old November 27th, 2018, 07:27 AM

Or, should I pick one of those up and just change out the cranks?
The stick cranks are scarce I would not even look for one just have a machine shop bore it out factory style for the pilot bearing, or you can reuse your "original" crank in any small block Olds engine you choose. If going to a big block just have it machined.

Old November 27th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Very helpful, thank you Oldsmaniac. Do I need all 4 of those measurement dimensions bored out? Or just that last one at .750?
Old November 27th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Very helpful, thank you Oldsmaniac. Do I need all 4 of those measurement dimensions bored out? Or just that last one at .750?
The 1st one is already there, the second one is for the pilot bearing and the 3rd one is to be sure the trans shaft doesn't bottom out on the back of the crank.
Old November 27th, 2018, 08:21 AM

Let me add if you are going with a later engine, 1974 and up you will not have a spot for the z-bar pivot ball. You will need to source a pre 74 block.
Old November 27th, 2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Let me add if you are going with a later engine, 1974 and up you will not have a spot for the z-bar pivot ball. You will need to source a pre 74 block.
or go hydraulic throw out bearing
Old November 27th, 2018, 12:41 PM

Thank you all very much for chiming in today. I've learned a lot and got great advice. I'll be a frequent visitor here as I'm sure I'll have constant issues and questions during this rebuild.
Old November 27th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group and good luck with your Cutlass project...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; November 27th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.