The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from OR-gasm..new one here.. o_-)

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2018, 01:54 AM

Hello from OR-gasm..new one here.. o_-)

Hello All.. just arrived here as I just bought a 1964 F85/425ci two spd PG w/ a 10bolt.. Gonna need me sum help trying to put 'er back together as It's been garaged and sleeping/sitting last 15years.. ! She did run when put away for 'er long over done sleep/ nap. My Great friend Harold sold me the car as he's getting a big D(after 26yrs) and has a '77 cMaro he's more in love w/ than the Olds..(lost interest) so he pawned 'er off on me. I am (meantime) just finishing up doing a few things w/ my other car-ruck (a '64 Chevelle/El Camino) ie swapped out eng's from a weakling '78 350ci to a rebuilt '68 327ci (large journal) also from a Saginaw 4spd to a WC T-5 Borg Warner 5spd and a 10bolt 3.55 Posi rear disc brk rear end'r.. (not yet installed)... currently a 3.08 one tire Fire..!
here's what I know so far about the F85.. has been media blasted inside outside except doors,hood an trunk.No Rust. All is primer grey or bare ***'d metal... need too paint lots of Black Epoxy/Hot Rod Black. whole frame is repainted and frt suspension brks and steering parts rebuilt,replaced also upper / lower ball joints, rear cntrl arm bushings. need one main frt too rear brk line. Also the rear trunk/ window filler panel is removed/missing buying soon.. same as 64-65 Goat or Lemans.. Tempest. Good thing. the Eng is a 425ci later 66-67-68 Police Apprehender as I've been told..? and it's all ready been Built. twenty odd yrs ago.. tho. it's got J heads on it (455ci), Edelbrock intake, HEI, Milodon 7qt oil pan(gold and matching eng color),cam/lifters/bored over ? .20-.30-.40 who knows.. stk exhaust manifolds.. cracked and rubbing left side (drvrs side) frame by a nub on manifold. 2spd Jetaway/PGlide trans w/ trans cooler. All parts are here/there except trunk filler panel and brk line. I am very Stoked about getting this Car as I sold my last Muscle car yrs ago back in Bay Area,Calif.. b4 I moved North too OR-egon. my Plans are Simple. budget period correct 60's Strt/Drag 1/8 / 1/4 mile car. Already got my drv'r. '64 A-body ELCamino which I should state is a ROAD Rally caruck parts get'r bike hauler and everyday drv'r. a simple utilitarian vehicle.. lol here's a few pic's I have so far. I bring 'er home soon but 1st must paint and replace rear filler. It's on.. time too be busy. Thanks in advance for the time and info.

frt drvr's fender is mashed but will be fine to fix.. hood,doors, trunk will remain this black. all else will be same some day soon.

I can't steer this thing. help ..!

a 425ci BBO police Apprehender ! ?

my 1st BB and Olds-mo-bubble !

yes indeed, it needs.. Lots of paint.

my fave view.

no Controls. lots of work too do

at least its OLDs Gold.

yep it's reel Clean inside. too ... gray.

my other True Love. 'er name is Marilyn Lorene after me Mither. my 2nd '64 ElCo. At the Sea. PNWest North of Florence,OR

historic dwntwn Oakland,OR-eGon. the Olds will be a blk step-sister but real similar too Marilyn Lorene
Old October 28th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Hookers under Hood

Put-er'ther "n' welcome.
No better place to take er' out of her deep sleep. Many have been woken up here, stripped ofer' bells 'n' whistlers . So much so, they come alive sreemin' with a tone that will get your neighbour-hoodie excited.
Stick around, this is the best site on the web to swing with. Marilyn Lorene is welcome too !
I see er' foundation is rockin' , bells "n' whistlers are their ,a bit ah high doo' and she'll be flyin down the strip to Gloria.
Cheers, "n',
Keep the pics comin'
Eric
Old October 28th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sounds like a really cool project.
Old October 28th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. FYI, your trans is not a Powerglide. It's a Super Turbine 300 (aka "Jetaway") and other than also being a two speed automatic, it has nothing in common with a PG. No parts interchange between the two.
Old October 28th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your new project... It's always good when someone strives to help keep the Old mobile heritage alive...
Old October 28th, 2018, 11:07 AM

Thanks kindly guys.. I am really looking forward to this becoming a real fun car and project.
Thanks for the info and tech tips in Advance. l don't know where or how to start but I'm sure it will come too me.. hopefully soon. I gotta get her home in a safe place.. then put this together too make her Roar.. !

Old October 28th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by 64F85policeApprehender
the Eng is a 425ci later 66-67-68 Police Apprehender as I've been told..? and it's all ready been Built. twenty odd yrs ago.. tho. it's got J heads on it
Just to clarify, the 425 was superseded by the 455 in 1968. And are you certain that it is a 425 block? The block casting ID numbers are on the shelf behind the water pump. Post those numbers and we can tell for certain what block you have.

Old October 28th, 2018, 07:20 PM

yes Sir..Copy.. I am not sure bout number's yet but as soon as I can.. I'll be investigating it.. I hope it is what I was told. I've been reading up on Oldsmobile's and their history.. at this point I'd just really like this car to run good an strong and have some Real Fun..w/ Her.
Old October 28th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 64F85policeApprehender
I'd just really like this car to run good an strong and have some Real Fun..w/ Her.
Any version of a 425 or a 455 will definitely achieve that goal!

Old October 28th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Hookers under Hood

Once you get er' pieced back together and fired up, you will know how much fun an Oldsmobile will be. If your really good with er' she may even raise your head 'n' throw you in the back seat.
I would look into a rear sway bar if she didn't come equipped. That will help to keep er' rear from swingin "n' swayin into on coming iner' spectators.

Eric
Old October 28th, 2018, 09:16 PM

If your really good with er' she may even raise your head 'n' throw you in the back seat...
I certainly Hope So..!
I'm thinking of leaving the back seat out in favor for a roll bar.. tho
I've been told by former owner that back in 90's that if You took off from a complete stop w/ lots of open road ahead of you and stomped gas pedal too the floor and didn't let 'er up She would shift @ just south of 100mph into 2nd gear...!
I was sold on just that comment. . !
btw My Grand-Papa was from Winnipeg (Winter peg) Manitoba. my Ancestors are All from Scotland by of Nova Scotia
only a 2nd Generation Californian / American here.. Cheers .. Sl`ainte
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Welcome to the site! I'm just south of you in Medford and have some 1964's myself. Lots of good people here and lots of information, so as you go through your project feel free to post any questions that come up! John
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Welcome aboard!

Just to clarify, the 425 was superseded by the 455 in 1968. And are you certain that it is a 425 block? The block casting ID numbers are on the shelf behind the water pump. Post those numbers and we can tell for certain what block you have.
well on short notice and much to my surprise.. I got a number.
#389244 D
from what I've found on a Oldsmobile site (http://www.v8volvo.se/mekartips/iden...mer-block.html ) for casting numbers.
It is a '66-'67 425ci block. (1st BB for me)
I saw a J on the heads. no numbers yet..
I have not had a lot of time viewing the car as personal reasons w/ my friend and his situation w/ his soon too be ex-Wife.
I will be getting the car soon (already paid for it) this next weekend or sooner but it will be put in a body shop to repair / install rear trunk filler panel and paint the underneath of body and inside of car before I can bring it home to start putting back together. until I get it too a place where I can spend some time looking at the engine and head numbers all I have too go on is the above info.
I do know this.. this car originally had a 330ci V8 small block and a 2spd automatic transmission. It still has a 2spd trans and I would assume the stock rear end. 10 bolt.
Thanks All.
Scott A
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:36 PM

Hello John from Medford.. I been a few times too the drag races at Medford / White City raceway / Speedway. Thanks for the Info.
Scott A in Roseburg.
I'm not from here but love Living here in OR-eGon.
Too Hell w/ where I'm from, the East Bay Area of California !
o_-)
Old October 30th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Welcome to a fellow Oregonian. I am in Redmond, John in Medford is a great guy and not far from you. I have some 64 parts and a few 65 parts cars as well.
Welcome and enjoy a great site.

Larry Moyer
lemoldsnut@aol.com
541-815-4363
Old October 30th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Welcome to a fellow Oregonian. I am in Redmond, John in Medford is a great guy and not far from you. I have some 64 parts and a few 65 parts cars as well.
Welcome and enjoy a great site.
Thanks Kindly, Larry. I look forward to learning more about these Awesome Car's /brand ie Oldsmobile.
I've only owned Chevrolet's to this point in my life so I welcome a New'r brand / model car to my stable.
GM All the Way !!
Scott A
Larry Moyer
lemoldsnut@aol.com
541-815-4363
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:31 AM
66 Delta Convertible

Welcome and congrats on ‘yer Olds. Looks like a solid car and a great project. You’ll find a lot of knowledgeable people on here on this site and great information. John from Grants Pass
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:52 AM

Thank You John from GP ..Good too know as I'm going too need tech help putting this really cool A body '64 Olds F85 back together..so as too drv the wheels off of 'er and kill me sum tires too..lmao
Good day and thx again .
Scott A