The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie Intro - 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Newbie Intro - 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88

Howdy howdy. Great site and I've seen some good info so far.

Last weekend I acquired a 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 in a trade for my Harley project. I had put my bike up for sale when I heard there was a shovelhead project available at an attainable price but a sporty doesn't command a lot of money so any offer I got was either stupid low....or a trade of some kind. Being more into hot rods and bikes I'm pretty picky on trades.

Then...

This guy from south of Houston sends me a pic of this and wants to know if I'll trade.

60Olds008.jpg

Welp. That's a helluva trade up in my opinion. How many 1960 two door Oldsmobiles are around these days?

(The wife was digging the picture the guy sent and was pushing me to trade.)

Rode the bike down to Stafford (after the wife told me if I waited a week it may be gone) and the deal was done. I'm not big into Customs but I know quite a few guys that are and I figured if it was too much for me I could sell the car for well more than I had in the sportster. Then as the wife and I kept looking at it on the trailer (the guy towed it home for me) it really started growing on me.

Of course it's a keeper. Especially after my wife busted her butt getting ALL the junk and trash out of it. Cleaned everything. Found all the holes and rust and all the other stuff that I will have to fix. BUT...she digs it so what do you do. Happy mothers day? Bah. She deserves more than this but if she likes it so be it.

1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88. All original except for the pearl white paint, wheels, and gold pinstripe added in the sixties. Plans are to fix all the rust (two doors from Arizona in the trunk) and get it resprayed with a flake white, gold or bronze pinstripe, with a gold or bronze laced roof. So says the woman.

We have all the trim and ornaments including two chrome fender skirts. She took some of it off since it was loose. Can't believe all the stuff that we don't have to find. An absolute complete, albeit a little rusty, bubbletop Olds.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

door.jpg

I have two close friends with 60 models.

1960 Buick.

MarcosBucik.jpg

1960 Chevrolet

jerryscar111.jpg
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Smile

Sweet looking bubbletop. Keep posting up new pics as you work on it.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Oldsdruid

Kewl. The Sixty has always been one of the sexiest Oldsmobiles ever built. A mild Kustom right from the factory, almost. I want one myself someday- we had one for many years when I was a kid.

The Buick wears those Cruiser skirts and scallops well.

Just realised you have a factory air car. A Dynamic will be a little easier to live with than a Super or 98 with their high-compression 394s, and transmission guys aren't scared to death of Jetaway HydraMatics like they are Slim Jims.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Welcome welcome. Sweet ride. Looking forward to following your build. Keep pictures coming.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Definitely a GOOD trade. Just love bubble tops. The car is a work of art, much prettier than the 60 Buick or Chevy.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Past Administrator

Wow, a definite trade up in my opinion! I recommend you go on over to this site. They will go absolutely gaga over your ride, not that we won't too. I like what you have done already to the car, never liked the contintental spare. You can probably unload it on someone over at the HAMB if you decide to. Welcome to CO.
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Welcome to the site Brad. Nice find
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:06 AM
may the Olds be with you

awesome trade! welcome to the forum
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Wink Welcome

Welcome from Susan & Larry in the Mo. Ozarks Nice cruiser
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM

another newbie here

Hi folks. I have had my 55 4 door hard top for quite a while now and enjoy it a lot. This forum seems to have a lot of info and interest. Hopefully I can use some and contribute as time goes on.

Like your 1960 find good luck with it.

Paul
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks all. Found some great info on another board on how to restore those Cragar Star Wires. Wife wants to keep them but I'd much rather go with Supremes. Either way it's getting wide whites.

Looks like it'll be resprayed white once the body work is done. I'm trying to talk her out of a gold flake for the roof but it's not going well. lol

Any idea on where I can find the plastic attachments that hold the trim to the body? Not sure if I'm searching with the correct terminology.
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Welcome Brad! GOOD TRADE!!!
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Little help please

hello to all: I'm new to the olds forum ...I just got a 1960 olds dynamic 88 and know very little about the model would like to see if anyone on here has any reliable info on where I could find some replacement bumpers and what available paint options where for the year mine is a 4dr hard top w/ a 371 that is frozen up and tore down to the block just under 72,000 mi.
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by BradS
Any idea on where I can find the plastic attachments that hold the trim to the body? Not sure if I'm searching with the correct terminology.
Try these guys:
http://www.auveco.com/product/index.html
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM

pics of my 1960 oldsmobile dynamic 88 I just got

this is the olds dynamic I just got need to find bumpers or info on how to fix thesephoto005.jpg

photo009.jpg

photo014.jpg

photo017.jpg

photo016.jpg
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:51 AM

"fix all the rust"

you southern guys crack me up.

Oh, damn ALL THAT RUST! oh, no! Dang, we better get some NEW DOORS!!!

I have a 60 Super 88 for parts, but frankly I doubt much would be worthy of your car. ***** n switches maybe.

Now THIS is rust:

12112_RUST1.jpg