The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi all!

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2018, 04:53 AM

Hi all!

Hi everyone, my name is Amanda I wanted introduce myself. I have a 1970 Olds Delta 88 Custom with a 350 Rocket. She really is a gem. I ended up getting her because of the 73 olds in the evil dead movies. LOL My son is a huge fan (as well as me) Eventually I'm going to redo the top as my son loves to point out Ash's is white and mine is black haha. Im going to stall that as long as I can! Anyway shes mint, almost perfect condition. A few quirks, but I was told she was only driven 27K in 48 years so not so bad. She was bought from the original owner who wanted so badly to pass her down to his grand kids but sadly they just didnt want it. So lucky me!! Heres a few pics and I'm going to pop over to the question area to ask a few questions.

Nice meeting you all!
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice score. I hope you and your son get many years of enjoyment out of it.
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:57 AM

Wow! That is very nice! Welcome to the Olds group.
Old October 16th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate it! Definitely happy with her. I have to get pics of the interior, thats mint too, I love the embroidery. Its Beautiful.
Old October 16th, 2018, 05:51 AM

Great car, congrats. If you make any changes to the car you really need to consider keeping ANY old parts for possible future use. About anything on that car can be rebuilt or reused with a little work & almost always would be better than the parts store replacement. Things such as AC compressor, water pump, master cylinder, etc...
There are many people on here that can help you with any future parts needs or questions also.
Old October 16th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the tip! I actually plan to keep all the old parts unless they can be rebuilt then I'll just rebuild the original. The whole car is original which is amazing. I can eat off the frame its so clean!! I have the original radio that came with it and the original shocks that were replaced. When the guy sold it,he still had the first set of plates that came with the car. I saved his info, I want to make a little photo book and send it to him so he knows his baby is still loved. I couldnt even change her name, he named her Antoinette after his wife when they first bought her new. So I kept the name!

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Great car, congrats. If you make any changes to the car you really need to consider keeping ANY old parts for possible future use. About anything on that car can be rebuilt or reused with a little work & almost always would be better than the parts store replacement. Things such as AC compressor, water pump, master cylinder, etc...
There are many people on here that can help you with any future parts needs or questions also.
Old October 16th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Amanda, welcome to the Olds world
I am a senior new member working on my first Olds engine project, and decided I needed to join an "interest group" to learn specifics from those folks currently and in the past dealing with engine rebuilding.
When you mentioned "photo-books" I had to chime-in because my wife gets one each month compiled with photos of our 11-month old first grand-daughter

My 32 year old daughter, the oldest, has a '71 Jeep Gladiator pickup which came from the factory with a Buick 350 V-8, which needs engine work. I purchased another engine (s) to rebuild and then swap engines. She is anxious to learn and get started, so there lies the reason that I have joined this group, is to get some pointers on the "do's and don't's" of a good direction from other members here who are "on-the-know."

One of my uncles gave me his '74 Lincoln 2-door Town Coupe about 15-years ago, which he bought new in Gridley, California. He told me it will pass anything on the road but a Gas-Station ! hahaha _ _ _ I have not tried to start it yet, but I do keep the engine vacuumed and rinsed on occasion.
p.s. if I drive 15-miles west of town, we call it "Hicksville".

Enjoy your nice '70 Delta !
Old October 16th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Welcome Amanda !
I am a new member myself, who has just joined this group to learn some specifics and get suggestions from the other members of the group, as I have joined because of the interest in rebuilding my oldest daughter's 1971 Jeep Gladiator pickup which came from the factory with the Buick 350 V-8 engine. She is 32 years old and would look great driving around in a restored early '70's olds powered pickup. _ _ _ sounds good in theory right !

Oh, speaking of one-owner, about 10-years ago, one of my uncles gave me his retired '74 Lincoln Town-Coupe with the 460 engine which he bought brand new. He said it would pass anything on the road but a gas station. I have not yet tried to start it, and it needs brake hydraulic work.

Enjoy your Delta and the Group !

Len
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:02 AM

Nice to meet you as well Greaser!! I think the Jeep is an awesome idea! I'm sure shes going to love it when its done ! Funny I just had a 75 Lincoln in my shop for a transmission reseal! Beautiful car!!! Good luck with both of them!
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:26 PM

Welcome to the Oldsmobile club! I think it's great that y'all got this for your own "Ash-mobile".
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks Fun71. Ya we are all huge fans, wait till the halloween pics. We do a home haunt and the delta will def. be a part of the display. I gave up my 80 Camaro for this girl. I'm really happy I did it though, Ash aside the car is amazing. I cant believe what good condition its in and it rides better than a brand new Cadillac!! Def. very happy with it!!
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=deaditedelta;1131047]. We do a home haunt and the delta will def. be a part of the display.

Welcome to the best Olds forum on the web! I hope you post some pics. Nice Delta, That would be cool to see !

Eric
Old October 16th, 2018, 05:18 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:45 AM

Thanks guys. We plan on putting some red lights in the grill and under the car to give it a creepy glow and hide some fog machines under it too. We did the whole yard evil dead this year just because of the delta lol.
Old October 17th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Oldsdruid

Cue up Delbert McClinton around 1:15...
"She got a big Oldsmobeeel!"

That is one fine-looking Delta. It'll look better if you keep the black top- white might wash out against the cream. Keep this one as is and find a 73 for ED fun, and have a pair! There are always nice big Oldsmobiles looking for homes.
Old October 17th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Very clean looking Delta... Is it an original New York / Northeast US vehicle???
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:46 AM

Rocket, youre going to get me in a whole lotta trouble with the hubby!! LOL funny isn't the guys bringing home cars that gets the hubby in trouble!? LOL Either way, it's me always in trouble with the cars lol. Maybe if I get a new house with a much bigger garage!! LOL Thanks for the video! Loooove it! Going to play it next time I take the Delta out!!

Cruzn, I believe it is a NY car. I technically bought it from the second owner, BUT he just snagged it and flipped it so I'm not sure if he actually counts as an owner. The info was all in the original owners name. From what I was told Fred bought it new with his wife back in 1970. He took real good care of the car with the hope the grand kids would want it one day, being it wasn't a hot rod they wanted no part of it. I was told the guy took the original plates off the car when he sold it to the guy I bought it from. I'm not exactly sure how I would track down the cars history. I was thinking of writing to the original owner who lives in the Hamptons somewhere.
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by deaditedelta
I'm not exactly sure how I would track down the cars history. I was thinking of writing to the original owner who lives in the Hamptons somewhere.
You're actually quite lucky here in that you apparently have the name and address of the original owner, and it appears he is still alive 48 years after he bought the car new because he sold it very recently to the flipper you bought it from. Most of us are not in your situation. If we buy a car that has had several owners in its life, we'll know who we bought it from and that's it. We may or may not have any way of tracing ownership history back any further. If all maintenance and service invoices have been kept since new and have been passed along with the car each time it was sold, then names and then-addresses of the earlier owners would be available on those invoices. But this isn't usually the case, either.

There are no formal ways to trace a car's ownership history. There is no database somewhere where you can just type in the VIN and out pops all you need to know. Carmax will give you past collision information if the car is post-1981 or somewhere in there, but that doesn't help us with the older cars. You CAN sometimes go to a the website of a state's DMV and search under the car's VIN for past titles issued if they were issued in the same state. But vehicle titling and registration is at the state level, not national, so if a car is moved across state lines and titled in a new state, the trail of old titles is broken. Searching the DMV site for every possible state the car might have ever spent time in can get old quickly.

In any event, what a DMV title search will usually only tell you is when and in what county in the state titles were issued. You WON'T be given the information you really want, which is the name and address of those owners. They do this for privacy reasons. Some people might not want to be contacted out of the blue by someone who now owns a car that that person owned 30 years ago. Our intention might be benign in that we only want to know the car's history, but the former owner might not think that. They may think you want to complain about the car's condition and demand money or who knows what.

Keep in mind also that these cars of interest (mostly '60s and early '70s) are now 50-ish years old. These Oldsmobiles tended to be bought by more affluent people who were middle-aged doctors or lawyers or bank vice-presidents, and they're very likely now dead.

So we don't obsess about finding former owners. We just enjoy our cars the way they are today.
Old October 18th, 2018, 09:46 AM

Thanks Jaunty. What I actually plan to do is after Halloween I'm going to print a bunch of pictures of the old girl and write to the original owner. Hopefully I will get a response. I'll include a few pics of us with the car. Rich said he was very concerned that she went to a good home, someone that wasn't going to molest her and turn her into a hot rod. I even kept her name Antoinette. I just couldn't bare to change it after 48 years. Hopefully he can verify what the flipper told me, because after all, as you said, I can not verify that info. I know a few tall tales were told. Like she was never smoked in. (I died laughing when I found every ashtray full of decades old butts and even an ash tray in the glove box! LOL) If what I was told was true, then he will be more than happy to respond knowing I reached out to him out of love for the car!
Old October 18th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Jeff

Needs a big propeller on the front of it for a proper Army of Darkness display.
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Olds Fever

First and foremost, if the vehicle was originally purchased in NY, there is no "ORIGINAL TITLE" to search for since NY did not become a title state until 1973... Vehicles were simply transferred using the registration document and a bill of sale... And that still holds true today, unless NY has changed some rules, which I am unaware of, you will not receive a title for your 1970 Oldsmobile, just a "TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION" as proof of ownership...
Old October 19th, 2018, 04:26 AM

Weezer, I would love to do that but I'm so afraid I'll ruin the car! LMAO, However I did think maybe next year I'll make it all out of cardboard! LOL

Cruzn, you are 100% right. There is no title for her. Its a registration only. I didnt realize that until last night when I started looking then smacked myself in the head and said DUH!!! lol I'm a little brain damaged, to much antacid in the 90's LOL My best hope is to get in touch with the original owner and see what he has to say. Hopefully he will get back to me which would be awesome.
Old October 19th, 2018, 03:23 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Nice 88! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of it!

Old October 19th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Pat

Amanda,

Welcome! Very Nice Original Car!
Old October 19th, 2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by deaditedelta
Hi everyone, my name is Amanda I wanted introduce myself. I have a 1970 Olds Delta 88 Custom with a 350 Rocket. She really is a gem. I ended up getting her because of the 73 olds in the evil dead movies. LOL My son is a huge fan (as well as me) Eventually I'm going to redo the top as my son loves to point out Ash's is white and mine is black haha. Im going to stall that as long as I can! Anyway shes mint, almost perfect condition. A few quirks, but I was told she was only driven 27K in 48 years so not so bad. She was bought from the original owner who wanted so badly to pass her down to his grand kids but sadly they just didnt want it. So lucky me!! Heres a few pics and I'm going to pop over to the question area to ask a few questions.

Nice meeting you all!
Nice car thanks for saving old girl . I have a blue one the same year.
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:36 AM

Thanks Eric. That’s one beautiful 88!! Congratulations on her!! Never thought I’d own an Oldsmobile! Lol I’m happy I did. I’m going to take more pictures today of the interior and that. It’s amazing how clean this car really is!!
Old October 20th, 2018, 08:08 AM

Welcome aboard! Sharp car, I like those 70s hwy cruisers!