The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Russia (1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible)

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2018, 02:59 AM

Newbie from Russia (1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible)

Hi Everyone!
My name is Alex, I am from Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
So I purchased a project for restoration, a second-generation Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible. The car had a difficult path before it came to me: it was brought to Russia from US about 4-5 years ago in a pretty bad state. The previous owner of the car in Russia put the fully restored 455 engine and restored all electrical systems.
So my plans are:
-restore all the body (I think to make 442 clone, cause the engine and the gearbox from 442 is already installed )
-add some pro touring elements: modern and slammed suspension, willwood brakes, some interesting wheels and maybe steering rack (I know that play in the steering wheel is a feature of old american cars, but then I have to turn off the power steering and drive without it - otherwise I can not predict the steering angle and it is quite dangerous when driving in heavy traffic)
-interrior: will be fully restored stock 442 interrior

This Olds in my first oldtimer, my daily driver are 2017 Audi A5 and 2016 Mercedes-Benz AMG GLC 43

Old October 4th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new toy.
Old October 4th, 2018, 07:35 PM

Welcome, Alex. That's a pretty radical Cutlass! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:30 PM

Congrats Alex, beautiful car. Please send more pictures of your Cutlass and other musclecars from Russia. Cars and music bring people together.
Old October 5th, 2018, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
Congrats Alex, beautiful car. Please send more pictures of your Cutlass and other musclecars from Russia. Cars and music bring people together.
My home-city Saint-Petersburg is the capital of automotive culture of Russia. We have a lot of thematic car parties, especially popular is drift-JDM and classic American cars (muscle cars, vans and pickup trucks released before the end of the 80th)
For example, this party was about a month ago, it is called Original Meet.
Here is the video

Old October 5th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Lansing built

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum! Nice looking ride.

Watching the videos, if these are the owners? It's amazing to see such a young crowd for having old cars! Over here, it's about double that age for our car shows.

Pat
Old October 5th, 2018, 05:01 AM

Welcome, very cool car!
Old October 5th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum! Nice looking ride.

Watching the videos, if these are the owners? It's amazing to see such a young crowd for having old cars! Over here, it's about double that age for our car shows.

Pat
Some of them are owners, someone are friends of the owners, someone just love classic american cars and they came to see.
But mostly such car owners in Russia are younger than 35 years old. And many of them own 3 or more cars (some guys have more than 15 classic american cars)
Of course we have guys that are 60 years old and they have a big collection of muscle cars (sometimes more than 50 cars), but most often such people do not participate in parties and exhibitions.
But if to speak as a whole, the youth in Russia loves such cars, just not everyone can afford them, cause the price is 2-3 times higher than in US and average salary is 3-4 times lower
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:47 PM

Alex, thanks for posting the videos. My friends and I liked them very much. Like I said, cars and music bring people together. There are people in the US who would love to own a Russian classic car. Keep us posted on your Cutlass.
Old October 6th, 2018, 07:25 PM

Great addition to the group! I really look forward to seeing more of you pix and hearing more about the Russian motorhead world...