The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Winter is coming

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Ion

Winter is coming

Hi all. Olds owner up in the cold north of Europe here, where polar bears wander the streets (not really).
Almost end of season and I went on and got me an Ocean Mist 1966 4-4-2 cloned Cutlass convertible.
330 engine 381917 (A) with #3 heads, which really needs a new cam and valvetrain.. Click tick tick.. Followed by a Jetaway with switch pitch and kickdown not wired up, so a bit slow this one (for now at least).
Allready got me a BOP350 Im gonna throw in, so I dont mind the switch pitch and kickdown for now.
Regarding my 330, I know nothing about Olds engines, all my previous Oldses had Chevy powerplants. So if anyone has some ideas for a good lumpy sounding hot street cam, that is driveable and good bottom torque Im all ears. As long as I can shred this two beefy rear tires at once, Im happy.
Im gonna shut up now and let you see it..

rRB9C2Ul.jpg 2WMB4Pjl.jpg
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:07 PM

A 330 shredding tires, hmmm, probably not. A "small" torque cam would be your best bet along with a better gear ratio. Find out what your gear ratio is and go from there. Your probably around 2:73 now. To make it more "peppy" and have a chance of peeling the tires, I'd go 3:36, 3:42, or 3:55 depending on which rearend carrier you have. Probably an 8.2 but someone may have switched it to an 8.5. Don't go "low" (higher numbers, such as 3:90 or into the 4:++ numbers) in my opinion, the car wouldn't be as much fun on long road trips.
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Ion

I reckon I have to change rear end ratio, still identifying everything on this car, so I know what I have. Rear end is one of the next steps, since I have to replace an axle bearing that started making some noise, it is for sure a 8.2 that I know.
I really would go big block, but engines are not easy to come by here. And I know, my job is actually working with US cars only, classics and new, importing tonnes of parts every week. Even have a US only scrap yard (not by far the scale you are thinking), but might still have some useful parts.
My 330 seems like it is in decent condition, so I'll leave it for now, until I get my plans sorted, but I suspect it has a tired camshaft and valvetrain.

Well, maybe not shredding tires is first priority, but I would like it to make some smoke at least
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Hookers under Hood

Really sharp looking 66 even though it has been cloned to some degree. I put a Posi with 3:42 rear gear in my 76 years ago, it sure helped getting my heavy car with a smog 350-180HP SBO motor moving a little quicker.
Had some additional changes along the way to help with the rear gear , well worth the investment .
Good luck with the 330 , I'm sure you will come up with a decent combo to get it more to your liking.
We have bears all over us here in the city , however they come at us with lights and camera's, especially when shredding or smokin' the tires.
All the best with your new ride and build.
Cheers,
Eric
Old September 13th, 2018, 06:39 PM

By the way, what country are you in?
Old September 13th, 2018, 07:22 PM
W30

Originally Posted by Kennybill
yah
you talk like your a olds native
Old September 14th, 2018, 01:51 AM
Ion

Originally Posted by 76olds
Really sharp looking 66 even though it has been cloned to some degree. I put a Posi with 3:42 rear gear in my 76 years ago, it sure helped getting my heavy car with a smog 350-180HP SBO motor moving a little quicker.
Had some additional changes along the way to help with the rear gear , well worth the investment .
Good luck with the 330 , I'm sure you will come up with a decent combo to get it more to your liking.
We have bears all over us here in the city , however they come at us with lights and camera's, especially when shredding or smokin' the tires.
All the best with your new ride and build.
Cheers,
Eric
Car was resprayed in 2014/15 or so, and the result is really good, brought back to bare metal first. Interior is in really good condition, looks like it has mostly been parked this one.
Came here in 2008, and the 4-4-2 parts where put on in US somewhere along 1966 and 2008.
Im getting a posi og truetrac anyway for my rear end, so I'll be changing the ratio as well. I have a TH350 to replace the Jetaway now, but I might change that later too. My plans are never nailed until it is actually done, and even then I tend to change it (dont we all? ). Before I know it I probably have gotten a 425 or something too, depends a bit on whats coming in here in our shop too. But I know I need a new cam for the 330, so I need to identify and get the right one for my engine. As I have read, it isnt straight forward as Chevy lump..
We have those kinds of bears too, but they dont bother us that much here if we were to let some smoke out of the tires.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Kennybill
"Olds Olsen" and I are from Norway.
Old September 15th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Welcome from the cold end of North America, where white tail deer walk our streets, Saskatchewan Canada. Talk to Cutlassefi on here for a cam. With the new cam, lifters, also replace the rocker arms and bridges. When you swap in the TH350, add a 2000+ stall converter. I have a 214/214 .472/.472 110 LSA mild custom cam from Mark(Cutlassefi), 9 to 1 compression, shorty headers and dual exhaust. Before my daughter ran the 2004R trans low on fluid, I had a 2300 flash stall and it would lay rubber for a 1/4 block with a 2.78 open rear. I currently have a TH350C where the lock up that won't work with a factory converter flashes at 1600 rpm, it will barely spin the tires off the line. Needless say a 2004R is going back in with the 2300 stall.
Old September 15th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Ion

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Welcome from the cold end of North America, where white tail deer walk our streets, Saskatchewan Canada. Talk to Cutlassefi on here for a cam. With the new cam, lifters, also replace the rocker arms and bridges. When you swap in the TH350, add a 2000+ stall converter. I have a 214/214 .472/.472 110 LSA mild custom cam from Mark(Cutlassefi), 9 to 1 compression, shorty headers and dual exhaust. Before my daughter ran the 2004R trans low on fluid, I had a 2300 flash stall and it would lay rubber for a 1/4 block with a 2.78 open rear. I currently have a TH350C where the lock up that won't work with a factory converter flashes at 1600 rpm, it will barely spin the tires off the line. Needless say a 2004R is going back in with the 2300 stall.
Thanks We have a lot of deers too, and I have on several occations hunted deers with a Skoda, hit them only once tho. Nice dinner after too
I have already not spoken with, but saved "Cutlassefi" to my brain for when its time to get a new camshaft, Im will send him an query, and see what he comes up with.
Just have to get all the numbers from my engine block so Im sure of what I have (381917 A, #3 heads). And also my current rear end ratio.
Thanks for your input here, will definately take them to concideration when Im starting swapping things around. First of all I have to verify if this BOP350 is working, and if it does what to do next. I have a workshop in my backyard with hoist and everything, so late night wrenching is what I mostly do on my spare time Thats why I got me an Olds, cause I was tired of wrenching on easy peasy Chevys that nobody cared about in the end. I also have a Camaro 2nd gen, but nobody cares, so Im going to sell it. My 81 Caprice daily driver gets more attention than my Camaro, lol.
Today Ive wired up Switch Pitch and Kick down, and the thing actually came a bit more alive now, its pulling harder, but MAAAN that Jetaway screams when switch pitch are active and it kicks down!!

0SyZHB1l.jpg

Last edited by Ion; September 15th, 2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:25 AM
Ion

Change of plans.
I got a hold of another powerplant to swap out the 330. Hope its ok with a Buick 455 and TH400 for under 1000 bucks, running.
Now I have something to do this winter, rebuild and upgrade both engine and trans.

Last edited by Ion; October 3rd, 2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 06:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

Is the 455 out of a Buick Wild Cat ?
Bourbon, rocks and Old Buicks go well together !

Eric
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Ion

Originally Posted by 76olds
Is the 455 out of a Buick Wild Cat ?
Bourbon, rocks and Old Buicks go well together !

Eric
I dunno yet, Im gonna get it home and start identifying what it is - and what to do with it.
All I know now is that its painted in a horrible dark blue flat color, and should be gold!
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:19 AM
Ion

Summer is coming..

I dropped the plans with the Buick engine and was gonna buy a long block Engine from overseas, but then a 425 appeared out of nothing, and I was in luck.
Engine number 389244D with C heads with bigger valves. Stock cam. Stock 385 hp short block, only swapped to forged pistons and new bearings and rings. No wear at all to talk about, completely round cylinders and everything.
Gonna build this engine this summer and drop it in my Cutty next winter, together with a TH400 i also got.

Any one has some input on how I could build a torquemonster of a 425, or some other input on my build, that has been down this road?
Old April 1st, 2019, 05:44 AM

the 425 is already a torque monster. i put a bone stock 66 425 from a 98 in my nephew's 66 cutlass,th350 trans and 3.55s,car ran 13.6 1/4 mile with street tires and closed exhaust.turn key trouble free power.
Old April 1st, 2019, 10:27 PM
Ion

Okay, nice. I'm really excited getting this and a 400 swapped in instead of my 330 and ST300.
Gonna spend some time getting this engine together, with Milodon head studs and measure all the bearing clearance and everything, so I know what I have.
Any oiling issues I should tend to before I put this engine together?
Old April 5th, 2019, 05:06 AM
Ion

My C -heads has gotten big valves from a BB Chevy, biggest possible to fit in these heads. Now I have to find out how long these valves are supposed to be. They needs to be trimmed down.
I also have to find pushers, pushrods and rockers to work in this engine.
Old April 28th, 2020, 05:31 AM
Ion

Something happened, the now retired 330 got a new place under the shelves in my garage, and suddenly a 425 bigbore took its place.
Also the old Super Turbine 300 got a new retirement under the shelves in the garage, and a Turbo Hydramatic 400 was inserted where the 300 once stood.
Painted nicely in the Oldsmobile gold, and the steel intake got a round with aluminum paint for rims, and all brackets got some copper tone to it, all went nice together..

Got a nice B&M Quicksilver on the floor even.

Does anyone know about a set of headers that will fit? I can see its pretty tight down there...

I guess you want to see.. okay..

Old April 28th, 2020, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Congrats, car is looking good. Any big bock header made for 64-67 will work. American Racing headers have probably the best fit but are also the most and very expensive. Hedman and Hooker also make some less expensive sets, you'll need to decide what coating is or will be applied. All headers usually require some messaging to fit.
With some adjusting you can use the throttle linkage that is on the car for the T400 kickdown switch and the Holley carb.
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:50 PM
Ion

Have some issues with the driver side exhaust manifold only now, I have to see if I can jiggle the engine over just a bit so it will clear.
And I have to bend the trans cooler lines also to clear the manifold on drinkers side, but else it was quite painless to swap to a bigblock.

Also have to trim the yoke just a bit for the propeller, since its out of a 67 LeMans. And I need to find a carb-adapter and fuel line that will go nicely on the Toro intake..
Its to high the combo I have now, a plastic one and a mr gasket one.
Old April 29th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Why the 2 adapters?
Old April 29th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Ion

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Why the 2 adapters?
To get the Holley high enough for the fuel line to clear the intake. Need to find another clean solution to this.
Old May 7th, 2020, 01:26 AM
Ion

Finally got "Oldsen" out on the road. Third transmission worked, and its a Chevy unit. Need to rebuild one of my BOP's.
And this thing hauls, man. Cant wait till I get the other C-heads with even bigger valves sorted.

The unit put in there now is a 67 Toronado engine, with the big lifters and 39* angle. Bore-mark on the front next to the oil fill tube. All the pulleys, pumps and brackets are from a 74 Toronado.

I also have the 455 from the 74 Toronado, and Im gonna rebuld that unit too and sell it, put the money back in the 425.

Next on the plan is to get the 4L80 trans fitted with an adapter-plate, disc brakes front and rear (already have a rear axle from a 67 GTO prepped with disc brakes and a true trac.
Just need the parts for disc brakes front, new master and valve. This will be a project for next winter.
Old May 17th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Ion

Does anyone have the color/vacuum diagram for HVAC with AC? 66 cutty
I know I could get the books, but its just too costly, like I have to pay more than the books itself in shipping, and taxes upon shipping and the books to get it here.
Its like, I could take a vacation over there and find a 66 look under the hood and then go home after a week for what theyr asking.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 06:22 AM
Ion

Well thinking of the next upgrades already.
I have a rear axle that I got from a friend of mine, from his 67 LeMans/GTO, ready with truetrac and disc brakes. So now Im looking at some kits to convert to disc brakes front and rear. Gotta stop better than these drums can, and of course get to two circuit system. Yeah, I know drums stops good, but you only have one chance lol.
Also, next transmission swap is also planned, will be a 4L80 with adapter-plate.

Also looking for an ultra low profile AC compressor and brackets if anyone knows about a good solution to this?
Old December 7th, 2021, 04:37 AM

Snow is forecast here for tonight, which means salt, sand, no more old car driving.