The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New meber from Poland

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2018, 04:49 AM

New meber from Poland

Hi guys, I'm Michał - new to the forum.
I'm form Poland, few week ago I recieved a car I ordered, it's a 1968 cutlass 442 clone with early 455 in it which was cammed,edelbrock performer olds 455, stock heads, pontiacs quadrajet carb, TH400 trans, proabably original converter, and rear axle. Also Hooker headres and new exhaust pipes. At first i had to refurbish drive shaft because it was badly welded - that was done by a shop. Heads were done to equal compression between cylinders, and car was running fine I guess. But after a while, and about 1000miles, engine gave up..
I love the car, i'ts in overall good shape I assume, and want to keep it. I want to rebuild and remanufacture the engine. The problem is the longer search for info how to do it right, the deeper rabbit hole goes..I want to do it right the first time. So I'm standing before the decison to make - order parts and let guys from here to do it - as long as I trust them to do the job right, I don't know if they have enough knowledge about these engines. What parts to use to gain some extra power and reliability, but not ruining my budget completely. I also want to rebuilt transmission using some better strength parts - but these are some times availible in Eurpoe, even if not, the're not that expensive. Either that, or ordering complete 455 engine from US.
The problem is, that after contacting f.e. Dick Miller he charges 14k for the engine, this adds to 1,5k shipment, and all is 15,5k plus 25% (customs and VAT I have to pay), and it is way over my budget. On the other hand there is not many guys I could find that build 455 as crate engines that I could trust, or know I they're any good - On ebay I found 2-3 complete engines for about 8-9,5k, where one of the sellers is a scammer for sure with multiple people being ripped off form money, never saw engines they ordered. I don't want that happend to me.
So I guess I'm looking either for a shop that builds 455 that are trustworthy and ships over seas, or help from you guys on topic how to build engine correctly. Note that I would't build it by myself, machine shop and a mechanic shop would take care of it - they have proper equipment.
I would like this engine to have lats say 450-500HP, be streetable, with some nice rumble. I wont use it for racing, but love burnouts tough.. I don't know what to invest in, there is sooooo many possibilities - endless run I guess.
Can you guys help?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180727_163002.jpg (2.05 MB, 10 views)
20180727_163029.jpg (2.25 MB, 12 views)
20180727_163043.jpg (2.08 MB, 18 views)
Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Congrats on your new ride; I'm sorry to hear that the engine cratered on you so soon. BTW, your car shows evidence that it was originally a W36 order as noted by the proper placement of the fender stripe.
I think I'd be inclined to order the needed parts but have the engine rebuilt in Europe. Google the internet for classic car clubs in your area and see who they use to work on their cars. You may even find someone who owns an Olds who can help you out. A 455 (even stock) has plenty of grunt and won't disappoint you when you hit the go pedal. Also consider the price of fuel, if you turn it into a high compression engine you'll be forced to run Premium instead of regular gas. Where's the trunk lid lock?
Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks, I love the car too. It's not the problem with ordering parts, but what to choose for my application? So many choices.. I don't know where to start. Should I leave my brake edelvmbrock prefromer 455 and Rochester quadrajet or go for something else? Forged pistons and rods but what make? For my application is it necessary to go with forgedcrankshaft or OE is enough. What make bearings and sealings? Which alu heads and what set of roller rockers? What cam? Go with tapper hydraulic lifters or with roller set? Which push rods? What type of main seal on rear side crankshaft to use to kae it seal once and for all.
I have a spare billet-pro distributer but is it enough?
are you pro or anti using oil restrictors to keep more oil on mains? High volume oil pump with 6-8qtrs oil pan?
Lots of topics I know but I'm new to American cars and I don't have a clue what manufacturers are quality ones, but not to over pay. Ideally if I go for bringing my engine to life it would be perfect to find a store where I can find all olds parts I need so they can be shipped together on a crate.
As for trunk lock I lost it first time doing burn out😆 but I got GM installed and it looks the same and works😉
Old September 2nd, 2018, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice car. Can you go into more detail on "engine gave up".
Old September 2nd, 2018, 12:44 PM

It looses oil. It burns oil like crazy valve stem seals gave up for sure as well as few cylinders no equal compression we did refurbish heads because they were leaky, but that didn't help for long. Lots of smog always, uneven work on cold engine than little bit better but still not good. Proabably doesn't have even comparable power to what it should have. Burns tires only from the start. So either a new engine or complete remanufacturing this one. No time for doing this several times, better to do it once and for good I guess.. also distributed was causing misfires so I ordered pro billet to change it but when it came engine was done already so I didn't have chance to do it.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 12:53 PM

The first step is to find a capable mechanic. Then discover what all is wrong. What rear differential gears do you have ?
Old September 2nd, 2018, 12:56 PM

Engine is going out soon, rear end is probably stock..
Old September 2nd, 2018, 12:58 PM

Welcome aboard

I think you'll find many people here believe in thoroughly diagnosis the problem before worry about [or throwing ] parts at the problem
Old September 2nd, 2018, 01:32 PM

Beautiful car! I think it would be better to find a good machinist close to you. Stock parts should be happy at 450-500 hp. A hydraulic roller cam will get the job done. Make sure your gas octane rating can handle the compression ratio. An upgraded quadrajet will work well with your combo. Here's a few links you can research. Good luck.
https://www.amazon.com/Oldsmobile-V-8-Engines-Build-Performance/dp/1613251742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535920239&sr=8-1&keywords=oldsmobile+engine+book https://www.amazon.com/Oldsmobile-V-8-Engines-Build-Performance/dp/1613251742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535920239&sr=8-1&keywords=oldsmobile+engine+book
https://cliffshighperformance.com/
http://www.everyday-performance.com/
https://quadrajetpower.com/
http://jonescams.com/street-performance
Old September 2nd, 2018, 04:31 PM
Lansing built

Witam to Classc Olds! We have a bunch of knowledgeable people here on just about anything. What part of Poland are you from? The wife was born in Poznan. On the engine, I would go back to stock, instead of adding a bunch of aftermarket stuff and chasing more issues.

Pat
Old September 3rd, 2018, 01:02 AM

Hi again guys. I live in Krakow now.
As for the engine I'll proabably go with complete build engine from US which will have a potential for further development if needed.
the one I already have I will remachine here but using stock same components as are installed now. Will work for spare for me or maybe I'll sell it.
Old November 14th, 2018, 10:08 AM

Hi guys, so the build is unavoidable I started completing the parts that I need for it, but I would like to hear your opinions about it, as far as it goes to feasibility and my choices. I'm also looking for some input. So:
- did enyone mount alu pulleys from ebay? I don't want to mount a serpentine setup, but would like an affordable way to make engine look nicer. Who to buy alu pulleys from? ( 6inch water pump - AC, PS setup, so 3groove puller, 3 groove pulley on waterpump, PS pulley, alternator pulley)
- I want a comfortable ride on the streets, but 455 engine will have around 500hp, so I want it to withstand that power on burnouts etc. without wheel hops. All steering tie rods, steering pump, steering box etc will be from moog. I am thinking about the suspension. New springs stock height (or lower would be better? and Eaton springs will be fine?) KYB gas-a-just shocks, and should I mount poly bushings all around? Or just rubber form moog? Or just some complete complete suspension kit like bmr level 2 kit (but I'm affraid of ride comfort?)
- It will have 200 4r trans with 3,73 gears posi axle
I would love to hear your opinions of this..
Old November 14th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your engine project...
Old November 15th, 2018, 04:02 PM

Welcome! Love the '68s.
You'll need a pretty stout 200-4R trans behind that 455, especially if you are shooting for 500HP. I recommend a CK-Performance or similar build (at least buy the parts from them). You might be better off cost wise just building that TH400 and go w/ 3.23 or so rear gears. With BBO torque, you don't need a high-ratio rear gear.
Old November 24th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Hi again,
Transmission is being build to with stand that power and torque and probably more than that. But thanks for keeping eye on t, it was my consideration too.
I do have a question for you all - I want to use ratchet style universal floor shifter - I was leaning towards B&M Megashifter, but my colleague had some real hard time not long ago trying get it to work properly, many times it was stuck not to go from first to second gear for example. He told me to better go with Hurst shifter, but it's the same company now that makes B&Ms.. I found TCI street fighter shifter that also has a ratchet style shifts. did any of you installed one of these? Or any other ratchet style shifter, that works fine and allows to use with 2004r 4 speed? Any info will be deeply appreciated.