The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2018, 08:21 AM

Hello Everyone!

About a year back I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a one owner all original 68 Cutlass S that’s had a ton of work done to it. Everything under the hood has about 19k on it (just passed 115k on the body) and she runs like a dream. The rest however is 50 years old and it shows. Every seal needs replacing, dash is cracked to hell blah blah blah. A few electrical issues I’ll look up before I start asking questions about that stuff. I have the chassis manual but is there some kind of restoration manual out there for all the small stuff? Like the window felts, I have em but no clue how to get the rotted ones out and install the new ones. Installing exterior mouldings properly etc..YouTube is of little help. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I’ve been stockpiling parts (while waiting for the wife to start 3rd shift so I can get some work done). Thanks guys. Happy to be here!!
Old August 11th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Everybody on here loves pictures so please post some. This is the best place to be for an Olds owner.
Old August 11th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Randy C.

Get a Body Service Manual as well, along with a Product Information Manual (more commonly referred to as the assembly manual). These manuals can be purchased on ebay. As well, look at what is for sale on this site, using the search key. The body service manual is available both in hard copy and CD; I highly recommend the hard copy that you can have right with you instead of running back a forth to a monitor. The commonly available assembly manual for '68 for the most part is hardly readable. But there are clean copies available - you just need to look around for who has them and pay a little more but it's worth it.

You will find this is the best site around for Oldsmobile owners. There is a ton of expertise here - I've tapped it many times and it's wonderful to have that expertise at your fingertips, for the most part free! Post some pics when you get a chance as we all like to see another Olds that has made it through all these years!

Randy C.
'68 4-4-2 convertible
'69 4-4-2 convertible
Old August 11th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats, lets see the car. You can watch videos for any A body, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, or Olds to get ideas on how stuff works or fits together on youtube.
Old August 11th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with our project...
Old August 15th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! I uploaded a few pics. Not sure if they attached to the actual post or not. Doing all this from my phone, still trying to figure out how to navigate through all this.
Old August 17th, 2018, 11:53 AM

Welcome from another '68 fan!