The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Say hello to the new guy

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2018, 08:37 PM

Say hello to the new guy

Hey everyone how's it going? My name is Dave and I want to introduce myself. I am the proud new owner of this 72 Cutlass Supreme. As you can see from the pics, she is in great shape, with just over 98,000 on the clock.. The only thing I've done is put new tires on and added the air cleaner lid with the engine call-out...and yes, it's the original 455. When I bought it, it had Weld Drag Lite wheels, but the seller threw in the wheels you see here, as well as the stock wheels. The other modifications were done by one of the previous owners who apparently was going to run it at the dragstrip. The engine has been worked with a cam, dual exhaust and headers. On top sits a Holley 670 Street Avenger carb bolted to an Edelbrock intake. Obviously for the paltry sum of 80 Bejamins she needed some tweaking, but it has all been minor (new turn signal switch, horn relay and passenger side drip rail trim are a few that come to mind), but the top is brand new. I also have the original chassis service manual, the original owner's manual, the original warranty information pamphlet, the original emissions pamphlet, the original warranty information card and the dealership pre delivery checklist from when she was purchased new. She wears original front disc brakes up front with front and rear coilovers with heavy duty lower control arms. She runs great on 93 premium unleaded and cranks right up with no hesitation or issues. She's a blast to drive and of course I get a "thumbs up" from onlookers every time I take her out. She is an original A/C car but the guy who built it for the dragstrip removed the system. I do have the original compressor and intend to add A/C back in (the summers in SE Virginia can be brutal)...lol. But for now I'm just going to enjoy her as she is and tinker on her when she needs it.

Thanks for the read and see ya here on the board!
Dave

Old July 24th, 2018, 08:43 PM

Welcome to CO

Very nice. There are a few members from Virginia on here. Enjoy the ride.
Old July 24th, 2018, 09:17 PM

Welcome.
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:45 AM

Welcome aboard
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on the new toy.
Old July 25th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard,
I'm glad you're happy with the car. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket attempt at hood scoops or the blacked out rear bumper but the car does look like it's in good shape. This is a nice example of an A51 car with column shift. You do know the Air cleaner is wrong.

Is the PNT code on the cowl tag 11 G?
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome aboard,
I'm glad you're happy with the car. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket attempt at hood scoops or the blacked out rear bumper but the car does look like it's in good shape. This is a nice example of an A51 car with column shift. You do know the Air cleaner is wrong.

Is the PNT code on the cowl tag 11 G?
Hi Allan and thanks for tet input. I know the hood scoops aren't that appealing, but eventually I do plan on swapping out with a W30 fiberglass hood, but for now I'm ok with it. As far as the bumper and air cleaner, they will be replaced at some point...but for now I'm happy with what I've got.

As far as the pant cde, yep...11 G on the cowl tag...based on my research , Cameo White, right? The car did have a repaint back in '97, and it looks like the original color, is that right?

Thanks😀

Old July 25th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Dave,
Yes code 11 is Cameo White, and G indicates a green vinyl roof. So the repaint on your car appears to be done with the right color combo. And the green roof matches with the green interior. When the paint job was done, it looks like all the body side trim was removed and left off, including the stainless rocker moldings on the bottom.

I tried installing one of those steering wheels back in the day on my 72. I thought it would look cool, but it turns out to be a smaller diameter and made it hard to read the gauges.

If you post your VIN number and Cowl tag pictures, it's an easy decode if you like. There were not a lot of U code cars built back in 72.
Old July 25th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Hey Dave,
Yes code 11 is Cameo White, and G indicates a green vinyl roof. So the repaint on your car appears to be done with the right color combo. And the green roof matches with the green interior. When the paint job was done, it looks like all the body side trim was removed and left off, including the stainless rocker moldings on the bottom.

I tried installing one of those steering wheels back in the day on my 72. I thought it would look cool, but it turns out to be a smaller diameter and made it hard to read the gauges.

If you post your VIN number and Cowl tag pictures, it's an easy decode if you like. There were not a lot of U code cars built back in 72.
Thanks for the info Allan...I was curious whether or not it was the original color...now I know😀 . I didn't know about the rocker panel molding but that's good info for the future. I do have NOS fender and grille scripts that the seller threw into the pot. I am holding onto them for now as I'm not crazy about punching holes in the body. I've also looked at getting the trunk lettering but not sure if I wanna pony up a hundred bucks for it right now.

I will post the VIN and a pic of the cowl tag later, and thanks again😀
Old July 25th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The trunk lettering is a big decision. Although it's a trademark of the 72 CS models, the letters have small attachment posts that fit into barrel clips set into the deck lid. That's how the factory did it anyway. It's invasive to your paint job as you'd have to drill holes for them. The 'other' way to attach those letters is to grind off the small mounting posts and use really good automotive double sided tape. You just need to have a good template to line everything up. The trunk letter set is only about $65 from Fusick, $59.00 from The Parts Place and over $100 from OPGI. All are the same letters, just different pricing. I've had good service from The Parts Place, but shop around and get the best deal.
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hello Dave, nice new toy! Enjoy.

Eric
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:12 PM
72 Olds CS

Nice 72 I like the dual snorkel air cleaner...the hood scoops eh not so much. Are the hood scoops just stuck on w tape?

looks like a solid deal at 80 benjis
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:30 PM
delete

Hey Dave,

U codes are pretty rare and cool cars. In 72 442 was just an appearance & handling package so the high performance variant was is the U or V code (and of course the X for W30)
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

True enough Ron. I tend to see the U code 72 cars as the equivalent of the SX in 71. Not a 442 but all the performance and power associated with it. I think a 72 442 with a U code engine would qualify easily as being more than just an appearance and handling package. 72 U codes are greatly undervalued too.
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Nice 72. Are the hood scoops just stuck on w tape?

looks like a solid deal at 80 benjis

I was going to ask if those hood vents/scoops were original or aftermarket. They look OK to me, no for my 76 but look OK on his 72.
I like the Cragar rims.

Eric
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:04 PM

I've got my second U code now and love it. Yours is a very well restored car. I got the W-30 hood too. It's a requirement these days apparently. They look so cool. If you buck up and add the air cleaner that works with the hood it adds a little HP if that sort of thing interests you.
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76olds
I was going to ask if those hood vents/scoops were original or aftermarket.
Whuuuut? Seriously?? You're just messin with us aren't ya? Those are not Olds produced hood scoops.
1972 with W25 hood

Maybe you were thinking more of the 69 Hurst Olds?

or mebbe a GTO

Old July 25th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Gary M
I got the W-30 hood too.
Gary? It's a W25 Hood. It came with the W30 W machine package. Otherwise optioned out as RPO W25 on a dealer/customer order. Also popular as a dealer installed option. I've seen pics of your hood and when you got/fitted it. Looks really nice. They've gone way up in price if you buy direct from Troy.

Originally Posted by Gary M
It's a requirement these days apparently.
Dare I say, watch out? This is one of Joe P's pet peeves. I thought about it at one time, but there's nothing wrong with the steel hood my car was born with either. Besides, who can justify around $5K for a hood now? (That includes shipping, under hood breather, and body shop labor/paint)
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

Well, I took the day off today. My good buddy Jack dropped with some ice. I got to lookin' 'n' thought well maybe... haha.
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:29 PM

The trunk lettering is a big decision. Although it's a trademark of the 72 CS models, the letters have small attachment posts that fit into barrel clips set into the deck lid. That's how the factory did it anyway. It's invasive to your paint job as you'd have to drill holes for them. The 'other' way to attach those letters is to grind off the small mounting posts and use really good automotive double sided tape. You just need to have a good template to line everything up. The trunk letter set is only about $65 from Fusick, $59.00 from The Parts Place and over $100 from OPGI. All are the same letters, just different pricing. I've had good service from The Parts Place, but shop around and get the best deal.
Hey Allan here's the VIN and cowl tag...
3J57U2Z140877

Old July 25th, 2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I was going to ask if those hood vents/scoops were original or aftermarket. They look OK to me, no for my 76 but look OK on his 72.
I like the Cragar rims.

Eric
Thanks for all the comments... scoops are bolted down and the wheels are actually vintage Rocket Racing mags.😁
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:49 PM

Gary? It's a W25 Hood. It came with the W30 W machine package. Otherwise optioned out as RPO W25 on a dealer/customer order. Also popular as a dealer installed option.
Also note that it was part of the W-machine package for the W-31, not just the W-30.
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Congrats on your new toy... Nice looking ride... You will feel right at home here on CO...
Old July 25th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Fun71
Also note that it was part of the W-machine package for the W-31, not just the W-30.
But W31 wasn't a 1972 production. That's what I was referring to. You are correct of course with the W31 and don't forget the W45 cars.
Old July 25th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, your VIN decodes as follows

3 - Oldsmobile Division of GM
J - Cutlass Supreme
57 - Body style: 2 door Holiday Coupe
U - Engine code L74 455
2 - Check digit for model year 1972
Z - Freemont production. This means you might find a build sheet on top of the gas tank. That would be super cool.
140877 - Assembly sequence. Not related to Cowl tag. All production started at 100001

Your Cowl tag is as follows
ST - 72: Model year 1972 ST = Style
3 - Oldsmobile Division
42 - Car line: Cutlass Supreme
Z - Freemont Fisher Body works (built the car shell and interior)
16575 - Body number assigned to the car by FBW. Not VIN related
TR 972 - Green naugahyde themed interior
A51 - Strato Bucket seats. Standard equipment on CS models
PNT 11 G - Cameo white lower body, Green upper vinyl roof
06B - Date build code (FBW). Car body was built in the second week (B) of June (06) 1972. This is a late build just before cutoff for the 73 model year retooling.
400607 060585 These numbers are referenced in boxes 1 and 10 of the Build sheet, which also by coincidence shows the production date and VIN sequences of the car.

You will find the VIN derivative on the stamping pad of the engine block. It should read 32Z140877 which will indicate it's the engine the car was born with.

You have a very cool and rare (IMHO) car that has survived well. Now it's up to you to determine how it will continue it's journey.
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:03 PM

J - Cutlass Supreme
U - Engine code L74 455
Z - Freemont production. This means you might find a build sheet on top of the gas tank. That would be super cool.
140877 - Assembly sequence. Not related to Cowl tag. All production started at 100001

3 - Oldsmobile Division
06B - Date build code (FBW). Car body was built in the second week (B) of June (06) 1972. This is a late build just before cutoff for the 73 model year retooling.
400607 060585 These numbers are referenced in boxes 1 and 10 of the Build sheet, which also by coincidence shows the production date and VIN sequences of the car.

You will find the VIN derivative on the stamping pad of the engine block. It should read 32Z140877 which will indicate it's the engine the car was born with.

You have a very cool and rare (IMHO) car that has survived well. Now it's up to you to determine how it will continue it's journey.
Thanks so much for breaking that down for me Allan. As far as where the journey leads, well, time will tell, but I'm leaning towards bringing it back to mostly stock with a few modifications. That's why I'm holding onto the factory wheels. On another note, where would I find the stamping pad to check the pedigree for the engine?
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You'll have to look under the #1 cylinder. This picture shows where the stamping pad is. Your heads will be labeled GA. Most likely you'll have to rely on your cell phone to get in there and take a picture. Might have to wipe off some grime too.

Old July 25th, 2018, 07:45 PM

J - Cutlass Supreme
U - Engine code L74 455

3 - Oldsmobile Division

Allan would you have any idea as to how rare?
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
Allan would you have any idea as to how rare?
And btw, it has a tilt steering column...
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Gary? It's a W25 Hood. It came with the W30 W machine package. Otherwise optioned out as RPO W25 on a dealer/customer order. Also popular as a dealer installed option. I've seen pics of your hood and when you got/fitted it. Looks really nice. They've gone way up in price if you buy direct from Troy.

Dare I say, watch out? This is one of Joe P's pet peeves. I thought about it at one time, but there's nothing wrong with the steel hood my car was born with either. Besides, who can justify around $5K for a hood now? (That includes shipping, under hood breather, and body shop labor/paint)
i was thinking of Joe when I wrote that

dont know why I keep referring to mine as a w-30 hood. I think I though W-31 was 350 and W-30 was 455. Thanks for the clarification. I just bought one from Troy for my latest 72 convertible. 3000.00 plus what ever shipping was and now to paint. No justification needed just blind ambition.
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:07 PM

If the NOS fender he gave you is a passenger side, keep it. They are very hard to come by and not cheap. Seems passenger side doors and fenders got the most damage over the years.
Old July 26th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, I don't have the exact number handy right now but my memory is thinking it was somewhere around 1% of production in 72. Total Cutlass Supreme hardtop coupes produced in 1972 was 105087. CS Verts 11,571, and CS Sedans 14,955

Gary might know offhand because he's had U code cars. Terry might know too; I'll pm him later and ask.
Old July 27th, 2018, 07:19 PM

You'll have to look under the #1 cylinder. This picture shows where the stamping pad is. Your heads will be labeled GA. Most likely you'll have to rely on your cell phone to get in there and take a picture. Might have to wipe off some grime too.

Allan, I checked the stamping pad and even wiped it off but couldn't see the VIN derivative. I was, however, able to verify the head stamping and it reads "GA".
Based on this can we assume that the engine is original?
Old July 27th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No, it has to have the VIN derivative to confirm originality. Try using your cell phone to get a picture of the stamping pad.
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Welcome! Gorgeous 72 cutlass supreme. I had one in high school, this brings back good memories.
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave,
Your VIN derivative on that stamping block should read: 32Z140877
Old July 28th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Dave,
Your VIN derivative on that stamping block should read: 32Z140877
Hey Allan..great news...vin derivative verified...32Z140877😀
Old July 28th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That is good news. That means your car still has the engine it was born with. Chances are really good the rest of the drivetrain is original too.
Old July 28th, 2018, 05:00 PM

That is good news. That means your car still has the engine it was born with. Chances are really good the rest of the drivetrain is original too.
How can I verify the rear axle?
Old July 28th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It has a stamped code on the right side of the axle tube just around the vent tube area. It will have a 2 letter code and an ordinal date. Ex: My car came as a stock 72 Cutlass S which has 2.73:1 gears. That's code SA on the axle tube. My car came off the Lansing assembly line on April 10, 1972. The axle is stamped with the ordinal date of 0101, which is April 10 (since 1972 is a leap year and my car was built after Feb, add 1 to the 100 that is set against the 10th, making it spot on for the production date.

I have a picture of it somewhere in my picture files, hang on and I'll look for it. Here it is. Luckily I only used 220 grit on the sander but you can make out the code and numbering. See the vent on the top of the axle? The axle code will be down on the rearward facing part like this. Hopefully your axle isn't too badly rusted.

Quick Reply: Say hello to the new guy