The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the scene.

Old July 22nd, 2018, 08:36 AM

New to the scene.

Hi all! I've lusted over a 442 for many years now but never had the heart to pull the trigger on one. A series of events lead me to change my mind and now I'm looking for a decent 70-72. YOLO right??

Having very minimal wrenching experience (oil changes and brake jobs) I'm looking for a quality driver with a good body and engine. As problems arise I'm willing to learn as I go along.

After several weeks of searching I came across the following:

1972 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 442 Rare 1972 Cutlass Supreme ordered with the W-29 option, four barrel carburetor, four speed manual transmission and true dual exhaust. Great driver and I have owned this car for 23 years. This car is technically a 1972 Cutlass Supreme ordered with the W-29 option, which primarily consists of a suspension /handling and appearance package. It has the 350 c.i.d. Rocket engine with true dual exhaust, the TH 350 automatic transmission, power front disc brakes, power steering, power windows and power convertible top. This car is painted in GM specified Matador Red with white top, white bucket seats/console interior and white 442 stripes. It also has an AM/FM radio linked with a factory 8-track player. Of the 9,845 442’s produced in 1972 (all were built in Lansing, Michigan including this 72), only 1,131 were convertibles. In addition, this was the last year for the Cutlass soft-top although convertibles were available in the Delta “88” line until 1975.
Rest of the photos can be found here:​​
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Oldsmobile/442/DUNCAN/British+Columbia/19_10663646_/?mnclk=1&showVs=1

Looks pretty and all but my #1 concern is whether or not the W29 option is factory or if the owner or previous owner(s) cloned it. From the past threads I've read the only true way of telling is from the factory build sheet, broadcast card or window sticker. Did I get that right? Alternatively, from the limited research I've done, GM's vintage vehicle services could be an option to verify the W29 option, at a cost.

In the end, I was hoping the 442 experts could chime in with your opinions on the car and whether it would be a good buy or not. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and I'm looking forward to learning lots about my future 442.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 10:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. In the 1972 model year, the 442 was demoted from a separate model line to an option package on the Cutlass line. This "handling and appearance" option included only the suspension and 442 grills, emblems and stripes. It was available on every engine in the Cutlass line, including the pavement-ripping 160 HP 350 2bbl single exhaust motor. There is nothing in the VIN or on the cowl tag to prove the car is a real 442, so 1972 cars are most frequently cloned and claimed to be real. In the case of this particular car, if it was originally sold in Canada, you can obtain documentation from GM of Canada.

Things I see here are incorrect side stripes and new "resale red" paint. The cowl tag will tell you the original paint code. The Cutlass Supreme emblem on the glove box is correct for a 1972, as is the non-cutout back bumper (only big block cars got the cutouts). Also, the ad copy contains errors. For example, this statement is not true:

Of the 9,845 442’s produced in 1972 (all were built in Lansing, Michigan including this 72), only 1,131 were convertibles.

Olds built 442s at ever assembly plant that built Cutlii, not just in Lansing.