The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Returning to Oldsmobile after a long hiatus

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Oh no, not again...

Returning to Oldsmobile after a long hiatus

Greetings from western Canada!
I've picked up a 53 Olds Super 88 sedan that I'll be restoring over the course of the next few years. The car "runs", but is going to need a total overhaul. How I came to be in possession of this car is a long story; the last time it was driven was when I drove it about 8 years ago, it did 100 mph on 6 out of the 8 before the fuel pump packed it in. There's a head gasket issue, it's not into the oil (yet) but yes, the motor is shot. Prior to that, the car last ran in 1969. Long story short, this car was originally a parts car for a friend and is coming back to me. It's got a solid body and a so-so interior, it's in too good of shape to slaughter, but there are a few pieces missing, and that's my biggest problem.
Now I'm normally into Buicks, this is my first foray back into vintage Olds ownership in about 20 years. I taught my girlfriend (now wife) how to rebuild engines on a 1964 394,so I'm pretty familiar with the older Olds engines. The last one I rebuilt was a 303 in a 53 hardtop, (the car that was supposed to use mine as parts). I love those original Olds V-8s; they're a beautiful little engine, it's amazing how snappy they are.
So far I'm looking for a distribution block off the master cylinder and a defroster vent, (I'm not sure which one yet). Once I get the car here to the house I'll probably find more things that are missing. I imagine there's some interior hardware that's gone missing.
I'd like to eventually put a Treadle-vac power brake unit in it, as well as power steering. Right now both are manual, and I'm used to Buick which had power.
The other thing I'd like some clarity on is that funny looking ballast resistor; - where can I find one or what can I replace it with? The one in the car is original and it looks pretty shaky.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Marc
Old July 20th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance. Make a list of parts you need and start a parts wanted classified on here. Need to see your funny looking ballast resistor, however most auto parts stores carry them.
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:51 AM

Welcome aboard.

You will find quite a few first generation Old's fans on CO, many hang around the vintage forum so when you get a chance drop on down and say hi. This is a pleasant forum with many posters with years of experience willing to help.Love the fifties era cars.... Tedd
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Not too hard to figure out but guessing by the name I would guess you are a Canadian with a Buick. I love those old Buicks also but don't have one. I think the old nailhead Buick engine was one of the coolest looking engines ever. I worked for a Buick dealer right out of high School in 1964 to 1966 when LBJ came calling. Does you 53 have a hydra-matic or dynaflow in it. That was the year the hydra-matic plant burned and Olds and Cadillac used dynaflow transmissions for a while. The addition of power brakes and especially power steering will make the car a lot easier to drive. I added them to my 54. One thing I would suggest is get an original factory shop manual for your car. There are usually several listed on ebay but the prices will vary. You should be able to get one for $30 or less. Good to have you here are we look forward to following your progress.
Old July 20th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Oh no, not again...

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard.

You will find quite a few first generation Old's fans on CO, many hang around the vintage forum so when you get a chance drop on down and say hi. This is a pleasant forum with many posters with years of experience willing to help.Love the fifties era cars.... Tedd
Thank you! I'll do that...That's a lovely 55 you have there.
Old July 20th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Oh no, not again...

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance. Make a list of parts you need and start a parts wanted classified on here. Need to see your funny looking ballast resistor, however most auto parts stores carry them.
Thanks! I'll be doing that once I get the car here. The first few pictures won't be much to look at , this car has been out standing in it's field for a few years now and is going to need some cleaning up. My first concern was to get the brakes functional in it first, and my buddy took out that distribution block because he couldn't find one like it anywhere around here. (It's the T piece off the master cylinder that hooks up the brake lines, for anyone who didn't know)
Old July 20th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Oh no, not again...

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Not too hard to figure out but guessing by the name I would guess you are a Canadian with a Buick. I love those old Buicks also but don't have one. I think the old nailhead Buick engine was one of the coolest looking engines ever. I worked for a Buick dealer right out of high School in 1964 to 1966 when LBJ came calling. Does you 53 have a hydra-matic or dynaflow in it. That was the year the hydra-matic plant burned and Olds and Cadillac used dynaflow transmissions for a while. The addition of power brakes and especially power steering will make the car a lot easier to drive. I added them to my 54. One thing I would suggest is get an original factory shop manual for your car. There are usually several listed on ebay but the prices will vary. You should be able to get one for $30 or less. Good to have you here are we look forward to following your progress.
I currently have 2 restored Buick convertibles, a 66 Electra and a 67 Wildcat. Love 'em both, can't part with them. And then along comes this Olds, and if I didn't take it it was headed for a wrecker.
My Olds has the Hydramatic in it, not the Dynaflow. I do have a service manual around here somewhere, I just haven't found it. I located my old Chilton's and Motor manuals which will do in a pinch.
My Electra has a Nailhead, they are finicky little things and not as forgiving to build as an Olds.The biggest killer of a Nailhead is bad fuel; they have a lovely domed piston and the closest thing to a Hemi style arrangement on the valves. Because of the way the combustion chamber works the engine absolutely hates regular fuel, I've actually blown a piston apart on it.

You've got a nice 54; - and I love the B-24 next to it in the picture, and the one in the avatar, is that a P-40?
Old July 20th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is a P40 in my avatar and the B24 is one of two that are in flying condition. Both pictures were taken several years ago at a show done in conjunction with CAF.
Old July 21st, 2018, 05:09 PM

Welcome. Very pretty olds.
Old July 21st, 2018, 07:09 PM
Oh no, not again...

If there's one Olds I've always wanted, it would be a 1962 Starfire. I'd love to have a nicely optioned out coupe in red with a red 3-tone interior., IMHO they were some of the prettiest cars GM ever built. I'd happily trade one of my Buick convertibles for a nice one.
So the convertibles I do have a picture of, pardon me that they aren't Olds...
1966 Buick Electra , 1967 Buick Wildcat