The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Trying to decide if I want to buy a 1962 F85

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2018, 08:55 PM

Trying to decide if I want to buy a 1962 F85

Hi, I'm Chad and a friend of mine told me about this car. I am looking for a low budget father/son project. I don't know much about oldsmobiles and parts availability. As you can, see there is some pretty decent damage in the rear. Are replacement panels available? Would you consider this for restoration, or is it better off left as a parts car? Thanks in advance.
Old July 18th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is some serious damage for a father son project. It is going to be hard to find the parts since nobody reproduces these so used parts will be your only option. Personally I would look for anther car and leave this one to somebody else. It looks like it has been sitting for a long time. Check the classified ads on this site.
Old July 19th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Best for parts, unfortunately. Pay a little more for something that will be easier to save.
Old July 19th, 2018, 02:27 AM

Parts are not easy to find for these car. I have 4 of them but two of them are parts car. With this model you need to start with something better to start with. That being said, if you like these cars and want to fix one up, I would recommend buying it as a parts car if the price is right. I would be interested in it if you don't buy it and the price is right.
Old July 19th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Given the difficulty of fining parts for these cars, you will be money ahead by starting with a car that is more complete and in better condition. You'll pretty much need to replace that rear quarter panel. I don't know your welding and fabrication skills or available tools, but if you have to pay someone to fix that damage, you'll spend more than the car will be worth. At best, you'll buy another parts car to get a good quarter. Usually in cases like that, the parts car ends up being the one that gets restored because it's in better condition than the original.

Do NOT ask me how I know this...
Old July 19th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Also, keep in mind that the Y platform is a unibody, making it that much more difficult to isolate and repair damage.
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
That is some serious damage for a father son project. It is going to be hard to find the parts since nobody reproduces these so used parts will be your only option. Personally I would look for anther car and leave this one to somebody else. It looks like it has been sitting for a long time. Check the classified ads on this site.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to pass on this one. I will check out the classifieds.
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Also, keep in mind that the Y platform is a unibody, making it that much more difficult to isolate and repair damage.
Thanks. Did not realize it was a unibody.
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:44 PM

Best for parts, unfortunately. Pay a little more for something that will be easier to save.
Thanks. Will do.
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Given the difficulty of fining parts for these cars, you will be money ahead by starting with a car that is more complete and in better condition. You'll pretty much need to replace that rear quarter panel. I don't know your welding and fabrication skills or available tools, but if you have to pay someone to fix that damage, you'll spend more than the car will be worth. At best, you'll buy another parts car to get a good quarter. Usually in cases like that, the parts car ends up being the one that gets restored because it's in better condition than the original.

Do NOT ask me how I know this...
Lol, I won’t follow in your foot steps. I’m gonna keep looking. Thanks.
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:06 PM

very cool cars in my opinion. Keep looking. you will find a nice one! good luck
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think you made a good decision. You can post a wanted ad in the classified section if you decide on a particular car to restore. A bodies are probably the easiest since they are more popular and more parts are available.
Old July 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM

Specifically, the '68-'72 A-bodies (especially '70-'72) are the easiest to find parts for since they're the most popular Cutlasses. They're also the most expensive for the same reason. I'd recommend trolling CL for a few months for the right car and not rushing into things. And start with something drivable with minimal rust through.
Old July 21st, 2018, 09:35 AM

Thanks all. Here’s some more pictures of this car. If someone is interested in it I can message you the contact info.

Old July 21st, 2018, 01:33 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That interior is very nice. I would love to have those bucket seats for my 57 Chevy.
Old July 21st, 2018, 03:44 PM

Something is wrong with me.... I am headed out at 6:00 AM to buy it. Thanks for the contact information.
Old July 21st, 2018, 03:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Not that we've been trying to steal this out from under the OP, but if you do get the car, I'm interested in the rear wheel opening lips, from just in front of the center to the back edge and to an inch or so above the feature line. I suspect the passenger side is crumpled, but even if it's bent a little, I'm still interested.
Old July 21st, 2018, 04:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric, you have really been on a buying spree this week. You are going to corner the market on these cars. Congrats.
Old July 21st, 2018, 05:02 PM

Eric, you have really been on a buying spree this week. You are going to corner the market on these cars. Congrats.
And I have to quit buying... I picked up a 62 Cutlass with a pile of NOS 62 parts last Saturday. Got a turbo carburetor setup Thursday, A Jetfire 4 speed carburetor Friday, A 62 Cutlass limited slip 3.36 rear end, and now this...
Old July 21st, 2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
And I have to quit buying... I picked up a 62 Cutlass with a pile of NOS 62 parts last Saturday. Got a turbo carburetor setup Thursday, A Jetfire 4 speed carburetor Friday, A 62 Cutlass limited slip 3.36 rear end, and now this...
The first step is admitting you have a problem. Now on to step two......
Old July 21st, 2018, 07:52 PM

wow that interior, oh are those 15" wheels Eric????

Last edited by carbizguy; July 21st, 2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by carbizguy
wow that interior, oh are those 15" wheels Eric????
Look like 13's but I will check
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:14 AM

It has 13,s on it. I need to look it over but I believe the quarters are rusted to bad to use as patches. The steering wheel is in GREAT condition! From what it looks, the back seat is great also. I can use that material to make original material front bucket seat covers. The driver seat on my wife's Jetfire has some little tiny cracks and if they get worse I at least have material now. Also has a really nice set of original 62 floor mats! First set of those I ever had. I have family time now so I will look it over better later.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:19 AM

Something is wrong with me.... I am headed out at 6:00 AM to buy it. Thanks for the contact information.
Lol. I’m not sure if I should say “l’m glad to help” or “sorry for feeding your addition”.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chuth62

Lol. I’m not sure if I should say “l’m glad to help” or “sorry for feeding your addition”.
lol. It has gotten a little out of hand.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 04:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric, if you decide to sell the bucket seats, sent me a PM.

Thanks

Glenn
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:05 PM

Eric, if you decide to sell the bucket seats, sent me a PM.

Thanks

Glenn
I will let you know. I am not for sure what I want to do with the interior yet. I know I am going to pull it all out so that it does not deteriorate from sitting outside. I would love to hang on to all the interior for a future project but also need to recoup my money from all these cars and parts I have been buying.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:07 PM

The engine runs beautifully.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:49 PM

the engine runs beautifully. https://youtu.be/rxripxjkwe0
👍
Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:51 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Stay in the hunt - father/son Olds projects are great!
Old July 23rd, 2018, 06:12 AM

I have another 62 that would be a good father son project but would be major work. It is a 62 Cutlass that is all apart but the majority of the body work is done. Just needs painted and put together. Likely a carburetor rebuild and major tuneup also. Who knows what all you would find good and bad but I believe all the parts are there. I did not want to buy the car because I don't have time to finish it. I bought it because it came with a pile of NOS stuff I wanted. I will loose money on the deal but gain needed parts I wanted.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 10:48 AM

I have another 62 that would be a good father son project but would be major work. It is a 62 Cutlass that is all apart but the majority of the body work is done. Just needs painted and put together. Likely a carburetor rebuild and major tuneup also. Who knows what all you would find good and bad but I believe all the parts are there. I did not want to buy the car because I don't have time to finish it. I bought it because it came with a pile of NOS stuff I wanted. I will loose money on the deal but gain needed parts I wanted.
That’s probably too big a project for us right now. My son will be 16 in about 9 months and, with my current schedule, there’s no way we’d have it drivable by then (honestly, we wouldn’t have had this cutlass drivable by then either). So we’re gonna focus on something that at least runs.