The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1968 Cutlass

Old July 11th, 2018, 04:26 PM
OLDS455

1968 Cutlass

Hello everyone, I just picked up a 1968 Cutlass S 350 4speed. Wondering what is the best and easiest electric fan to purchase and install to keep temp down. Summers are usually over 100 here and I love driving it.

Thanks
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lets see it. Are you having an issue with engine temps or just want to spend the money for an electric fan?
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If it's a stock car, and delivered to CA originally it probably has HD cooling which includes a fan shroud and clutch on the fan. Other than that you really shouldn't need to do anything to keep the temps down. Check the radiator for crud inside, and if it's looking ugly, drain it and have it flushed/then pressure tested. Those are the common and easy fixes that usually work.
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:49 PM
OLDS455

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, lets see it. Are you having an issue with engine temps or just want to spend the money for an electric fan?
Engine runs on the hotter side but no guage, no shroud on radiator. Just want to be proactive.
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Go with the fan shroud first. That will channel the air really well and contribute a LOT of cooling.
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:12 PM

I agree with the above. I routinely drive my car in 110+ Phoenix summer temps and don't have issue with overheating.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:16 PM

'68 has a fan shroud as stock equipment, even the six cylinder cars!!!
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BPOMEROY77
Engine runs on the hotter side but no guage, no shroud on radiator. Just want to be proactive.
The hotter side of what? Without an actual temperature, how do you know you have an issue?
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:31 PM

Ah yes, I remember being "proactive". It seemed like every time I decided to go looking for trouble, I found it! If ain't broke, don't fix it. An Olds will stay cool if you have all the good parts; 4 row radiator, shroud and clutch fan in good condition with the timing set properly. Jussayin.
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BPOMEROY77
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 1968 Cutlass S 350 4speed. Wondering what is the best and easiest electric fan to purchase and install to keep temp down. Summers are usually over 100 here and I love driving it.

Thanks

The best and easiest "electric" fan is the stock mechanical clutch fan. These cars were tested at the GM Desert Proving Grounds in Arizona at temperatures well over 100 deg. They did not overheat. Why do you think you have to do something different?
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Also to answer your question, there are many late model fans that adapt easily and work well that are inexpensive at your local wrecking yard. Be sure to get the controller, temp sensor, and wiring. There are also a multitude of cooling fans advertised to adapt at low $'s to the gold plated hi $'s.

Here is some reading:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=4310326
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Also to answer your question, there are many late model fans that adapt easily and work well that are inexpensive at your local wrecking yard. Be sure to get the controller, temp sensor, and wiring. There are also a multitude of cooling fans advertised to adapt at low $'s to the gold plated hi $'s.

Here is some reading:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=4310326

I'll still argue that rather than wasting time and money on an electric fan that will only mask the real problem, why not find out what is really causing the overheating and fix THAT?
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Put a shroud on it and that's probably all you need to do. My 68 with a 455, four speed, and a single core aluminum radiator runs at 180 degree well up into the high 90's. If the shroud doesn't work the problem is something else.
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'll still argue that rather than wasting time and money on an electric fan that will only mask the real problem, why not find out what is really causing the overheating and fix THAT?

i agree, a good quality radiator, fan shroud, factory thermal clutch and factory 7 blade fan should be all that’s needed. And if the radiator needs to be replaced, upgrade to a good aluminum radiator.

If if you are determined to use an electric fan, I would suggest a fan from a late model car or truck. Most of the aftermarket fans have seriously inflated advertised airflow ratings. Find a fan (or fans) with a shroud that covers as much of the radiator as possible, make sure not to cut corners on the wiring (some big fans can pull 70-80 amps on startup) and use a good quality fan controller to activate it.

Some people just just have to have the whirring sound of a electric fan. If electric fans could pull as much air as a engine driven fan, you can be certain there would be a electric fan on my Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine. It’s a engine driven fan with an electric clutch, talk about a wind storm when that kicks on! I have been in heavy traffic, in 100 degree heat, with a trailer and the A/C going, you can hear the roar over the noisy engine and all the other big trucks. around.