The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New from pa with a 68 toronado

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2018, 04:34 AM

New from pa with a 68 toronado

Just figured I'd stop by and introduce myself. I live southwest of Pittsburgh and just acquired a 1968 toronado that my wife's grandfather left me when he passed. Finding it pretty hard to source parts or even find info so I'll be digging around here for a while.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:16 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome and glad you posted a picture. You have come to the best place there is for an Oldsmobile owner. The 68 Toronado is a very nice car. Yours looks pretty solid but I assume it is not running since it looks like there is a tow chain on the front. There are no parts reproduced for the Toronado but you will probably be able to find some here.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Welcome and glad you posted a picture. You have come to the best place there is for an Oldsmobile owner. The 68 Toronado is a very nice car. Yours looks pretty solid but I assume it is not running since it looks like there is a tow chain on the front. There are no parts reproduced for the Toronado but you will probably be able to find some here.
Thanks, we pulled it out of the garage with the chain and I tinkered with it at home and got it running. However the steel line from the pump to the carb has a hole in it so I'm gonna have to make up one of those. Plan for this summer is to get it running and driving just to do a little cruising. Would love to eventually do a resto on it. It has a little rust here and there but nothing major, it was a well taken care of car.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:40 AM

Welcome to the site. Definitely a cool car.

Mechanical parts to get it running shouldn't be difficult to come by. What's hard to find is body and trim pieces. Good luck with your project.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:50 AM

I recommend joining the Toronado Owners Association and the Olds Club of America. Good sources for info and to make connections in case you plan on keeping the car.
Old May 31st, 2018, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome, sure is a nice car.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rdowney
Just figured I'd stop by and introduce myself. I live southwest of Pittsburgh and just acquired a 1968 toronado that my wife's grandfather left me when he passed. Finding it pretty hard to source parts or even find info so I'll be digging around here for a while.
Very nice! I have a '78 Toro myself.

I will second the idea of joining both the OCA and its Toronado chapter as well as the Toronado Owner's Association (http://www.toronado.org/), which is a separate organization. Both are a dynamic bunch and certainly would be good places to look for parts. I'll give a slight edge to the TOA for their very nice, glossy, every-other-month magazine, Front Wheel Driver.

I'm curious about the history of your car. You got it from your wife's grandfather. Where did HE get it? Was he the original purchaser? If so, very cool, as it has been in the family for 50 years and counting.
Old May 31st, 2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Very nice! I have a '78 Toro myself.

I will second the idea of joining both the OCA and its Toronado chapter as well as the Toronado Owner's Association (http://www.toronado.org/), which is a separate organization. Both are a dynamic bunch and certainly would be good places to look for parts. I'll give a slight edge to the TOA for their very nice, glossy, every-other-month magazine, Front Wheel Driver.

I'm curious about the history of your car. You got it from your wife's grandfather. Where did HE get it? Was he the original purchaser? If so, very cool, as it has been in the family for 50 years and counting.
I'm going into joining those two groups for sure, seems info is a little scarce on these cars so talking with some enthusiasts would be awesome. I'm more of a mopar guy and fairly knowledgeable on those so this is a totally different world for me.

Yes I got it from my wife's grandfather and he purchased it in 1972 from the original owner. He had many many cars but he only kept this toro and a 77 vette that he bought off my wife's uncle in the 90's (which he just gave back when he passed). Hey made 7 trips from Ohio to key West with his wife and 4 daughters in the toronado for vacations and it was his pride and joy. I'm not sure exactly when he parked it but it's spent about 25-30 years in his garage. Everytime we talked cars he always talked about his toro and how good of a car it was.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:41 AM

I'm going into joining those two groups for sure, seems info is a little scarce on these cars so talking with some enthusiasts would be awesome.
Good story on the car's history. Glad you're saving it.

Info on these cars isn't that difficult to come across once you get hooked up. As far as Toronados go, your car, being from the first generation (1966 to 1970), is more popular and has a bigger following than any of the later generations. Go to any Olds show, and, in my experience, you'll see more Toros from your era than any other.

As far as "info" on the car, what, exactly, are you looking for? If you plan to do any work on the car, which it sounds like you do, and if you don't have one, your first purchase should be a '68 Olds factory chassis service manual. These are available all the time on ebay. Get an original, paper copy, not a pdf on a CD. You should get a Fisher Body Manual for that year as well as there is much info in that manual that is not in the chassis manual, such as wiring diagrams for power options (windows, locks, seats) and much more.

Here's just one listing for a seller selling both manuals together. Shop around to see what kind of price you can get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Oldsmo...0AAOxyuPtQ9yPI

Old May 31st, 2018, 03:53 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your Toro project... Definitely a lot of good info to be had from this site...
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:47 PM

Welcome to the site! I'm in Peters Township, so I can't be far from you.

Terry
Old June 1st, 2018, 04:23 AM

Good story on the car's history. Glad you're saving it.

Info on these cars isn't that difficult to come across once you get hooked up. As far as Toronados go, your car, being from the first generation (1966 to 1970), is more popular and has a bigger following than any of the later generations. Go to any Olds show, and, in my experience, you'll see more Toros from your era than any other.

As far as "info" on the car, what, exactly, are you looking for? If you plan to do any work on the car, which it sounds like you do, and if you don't have one, your first purchase should be a '68 Olds factory chassis service manual. These are available all the time on ebay. Get an original, paper copy, not a pdf on a CD. You should get a Fisher Body Manual for that year as well as there is much info in that manual that is not in the chassis manual, such as wiring diagrams for power options (windows, locks, seats) and much more.

Here's just one listing for a seller selling both manuals together. Shop around to see what kind of price you can get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Oldsmo...0AAOxyuPtQ9yPI

Those manuals would be a great start I'm gonna get those ordered. I guess I'm just used the more common cars where you can open up a catalog and pretty much build the whole car. The more I dig around the more info I find, those clubs seem to have a ton of stuff. There's actually an all olds show coming up June 17th in Pittsburgh that I'm gonna try to make it out to.
Originally Posted by vette442
Welcome to the site! I'm in Peters Township, so I can't be far from you.

Terry
Yea I'm out in burgettstown so not very far at all.
Old June 1st, 2018, 07:48 AM

I guess I'm just used the more common cars where you can open up a catalog and pretty much build the whole car.
By "more common," you mean Chevy and Ford, right? Yes, I'm quite sure you can build an entire 1957 Chevy out of parts made in 2018. Not so for Oldsmobile, especially if it's not a '64 to '72 Cutlass. No reproduction body or trim parts are made for any full-size Olds ever made. Nothing for Toronado. Nothing for any of the other non-Cutlass models Olds made over the years (Omega, Firenza, '70s-era Starfire, wagons). You need anything like a fender, bumper, molding, trim piece, it will have to come from a parts car. Or, if you get lucky, you might find an NOS piece on Ebay and pay a medium-sized fortune for it.
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:34 PM
Oldsdruid

www.fusick.com is your source for what little Toronado reproduction stuff there is. I believe you can get a new pump to carb steel fuel line.

Does this thing have dual exhaust and a notched bumper? If it does check the trans code for OM. If so you have one of the 111 1968 W34 cars.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 03:56 AM

By "more common," you mean Chevy and Ford, right? Yes, I'm quite sure you can build an entire 1957 Chevy out of parts made in 2018. Not so for Oldsmobile, especially if it's not a '64 to '72 Cutlass. No reproduction body or trim parts are made for any full-size Olds ever made. Nothing for Toronado. Nothing for any of the other non-Cutlass models Olds made over the years (Omega, Firenza, '70s-era Starfire, wagons). You need anything like a fender, bumper, molding, trim piece, it will have to come from a parts car. Or, if you get lucky, you might find an NOS piece on Ebay and pay a medium-sized fortune for it.
Yea I have 2 mopars sitting at my place and I can anything I need with a few clicks. Although I'm not doing a full resto or anything on the toro I'm not going to be needing a bunch of things. The car is complete so I wont be needing anything major.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
www.fusick.com is your source for what little Toronado reproduction stuff there is. I believe you can get a new pump to carb steel fuel line.

Does this thing have dual exhaust and a notched bumper? If it does check the trans code for OM. If so you have one of the 111 1968 W34 cars.
I got to work on the car a little yesterday and turns out im not getting fuel out of the pump. So either something is plugged up pre pump or the diaphram dry rotted and the pump is shot.

First thing I did when we drug it out was go around back to look at the bumper..... no notches, no indications anywhere of being a w34. Oh well I knew the chances were slim after I started reading up on these cars when her grandfather told me he wanted me to have it.