The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 Cutlass Supreme windshield wipers only work on one speed

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2018, 09:52 AM

72 Cutlass Supreme windshield wipers only work on one speed

My windshield wipers in my 72 cutlass only operate on the highest wiper speed and not the lower one. Does anyone know the reason for this? I知 assuming it may be the wiper switch but I知 not sure.
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by LJ72Cut
My windshield wipers in my 72 cutlass only operate on the highest wiper speed and not the lower one. Does anyone know the reason for this? I’m assuming it may be the wiper switch but I’m not sure.

Your Chassis Service Manual has a whole section on troubleshooting this problem. The round GM wiper motor uses a shunt winding design to get low speed. The shunt winding is wound in the opposite direction from the high speed winding. To get high speed, only the high speed winding is powered. To get low speed, BOTH the high speed and low speed windings are powered. Since the shunt winding is in the opposite direction, it partly cancels out the magnetic force of the high speed winding, which then gives you low speed.

Anything that prevents the shunt winding from being powered can cause this. It could be the switch, the wiring to the motor, the connectors between the switch and the motor, or the motor itself. This is why you need to follow the troubleshooting procedure in the CSM to avoid replacing parts that aren't bad.