The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'74 Delta 88 Royal The Cruising Begins

Old May 27th, 2018, 06:08 PM

'74 Delta 88 Royal The Cruising Begins

There comes a time when you have to call a project done and move on and that time has come for me. I just recently finished a project have been searching for a new one. trying to find the right car to suit my needs and since I have muscle in the project I just completed I've decided to go the other way in a cruising machine. The car I just recently purchased is a 1974 Delta 88 Royal 2dr convertible. Haven't sorted out the vin #'s yet but the car comes with a 455 rocket which I've confirmed and is original to this car with only 101,000 miles on it. It's pretty solid from what I can see and will be an excellent base to start this build. Its all there, top is new and works and interior is in great condition.
Old May 27th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, hail to the new boat capt. Post some pictures of your cars when you get a chance.
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:45 PM

Thank you, I look forward to this build. Lol "boat is right but I love the cruise. I picked this car up for $5700 Canadian and think I got a good deal on it. I've searched values and rarity a bit but they seem to be a bit vague. Some info and opinions would be nice. Undecided as to which direction I want to go with it yet as to whether it's an restoration project or keep it looking stock by make it my own.

Old May 27th, 2018, 08:03 PM

I'm a member of thirdgen.org and recently was voted April's 2018 car of the month. This project took me 5 years on and off driving it as the progress was happening. Most of the work was done during winter months. It's an awesome ride with tons of power especially for the weight of the car. I'm calling it done and ready to float. LOL

Old May 27th, 2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser 88
I've searched values and rarity a bit but they seem to be a bit vague. Some info and opinions would be nice.

Very nice car. I vote for keeping it stock as much as possible. They aren't making any more of these.

Production of the final era (1971-1975) full-size Olds convertibles (all Delta 88 Royales) is as follows. 1974 was second-lowest.

1971: 2,883
1972: 3,900
1973: 7,088
1974: 3,716
1975: 7,181

Your car is unusual in one respect. I've seen lots of full-size Oldsmobiles of the 1970s, but I've never seen one that did not have factory A/C. Your car does not have A/C, and the result is no vent opening on the left side of the dash (circled in the photo below). Rather, there is just this massive area of woodgrain, which looks weird at first glance. There is also a blank-off plate on the right side where the other vent would be. I see there is only a middle vent. Very interesting. That steering wheel is certainly not Oldsmobile.

Your car overall has an interesting mix of options. Power locks, but not power windows. Clock, cruise control (?), tilt wheel, radio with 8-track, but, as noted, no A/C.

I have an interest in these cars because I had one myself (a '75) which I bought in 1994 and sold in 2001.

Old May 27th, 2018, 08:25 PM

No the steering wheel is not olds and the guy I bought it from had it for the last 17 yrs. He said the metal ring imbedded in the wheel started to lift and cut him so he replaced it and through it away. Ugh. It has no A/C and no power locks. But has cruise (which doesn't work), tilt, clock and 8 track radio which is original and works. Lol and the 455 which is a good thing.
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:55 PM

With me being new to this site I'm wanting to start a build thread but unsure where to post? Another question I have is Did the Delta 88 come with buckets and a console from factory?
Old May 27th, 2018, 09:59 PM

I vote for keeping it original also.
If it was mine, those "gangster white walls" would be the first to go. They might be alright on a Duesenburg.

I had a 1973 red with white top and interior Delta 88 Royale. It was a wonderful car, I wish I had one again.

I don't believe they had bucket seats and console as options, but I could be wrong.
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:08 AM

With me being new to this site I'm wanting to start a build thread but unsure where to post? Another question I have is Did the Delta 88 come with buckets and a console from factory?

Hi and welcome. Great 88! I agree with Jaunty that it's rare to see an 88 or 98 without A/C, although I actually had a '76 98 Regency without A/C once...so odd! All of these era cars had such massive lists of options. You will never see 2 opted the same.

I also vote for stock but it's YOUR car so have fun with it and do what you'd like. The steering wheels for these cars are very hard to find in nice shape, especially in black. If you want to replace yours, plan on finding one that needs to be restored or cleaned up and wrapped.

As for the interior, there was either a bench or split 60/40 front seat. No consoles.

John
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Your car is unusual in one respect. I've seen lots of full-size Oldsmobiles of the 1970s, but I've never seen one that did not have factory A/C.
Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi and welcome. Great 88! I agree with Jaunty that it's rare to see an 88 or 98 without A/C
Dan/John
In Canada it was quite common to NOT have an AC car. Rather the opposite of the US market. Here (likely due to the climate) it was actually more rare to have one that was AC equipped.
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:38 AM

I am liking the ride of the car and they way the 455 was build to cruise. Very smooth engine. I've searched values and I'm debating what to do to it and how far to go but leaning towards an original look with some changes for creature comforts. I'm not a fan of the bench seat, they tend to sag on the edges after awhile and the lack of gauges I know is the norm but I like to see what the engine is doing rather than waiting for a light to come on which at that time it's probably already done damage.
The value from hagerty and other sites list the car at around 17K to 21K for all original, low miles and barely driven which this car won't be. To put 10K or more into this car would not be for profit but to make it my own and a keeper. Much like my Camaro, a stock look but upgraded mods for my pleasure. Keep the power train the same but rebuilt and new suspension. I agree with the white walls not being for this car so maybe different rim but not that big wheel look. Keeping the wheels some what a classic look. Majority of the money will be spent on body and paint. There is rust bubbles covered up with paint which needs to be addressed but not overwhelming to replace panels, just cut and patch. I'm going to take the summer to drive it and mull it over, maybe let certain things grow on me and form ideas.
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm not a fan of the bench seat, they tend to sag on the edges after awhile and the lack of gauges I know is the norm but I like to see what the engine is doing rather than waiting for a light to come on which at that time it's probably already done damage.
The front seat has been reupholsted, as it doesn't match the deep pleat pattern evidenced on the back seat. That may be why you have some sag in there - possibly an incorrect foam underneath.

I get the gauge issue. If you find some that are small enough, you could probably fit them into that space above the headlight/heater controls? They'd be in close enough eyesight to read at a glance instead of having them mounted down below the center of the dash.

Overall a very nice car. I've never been a fan of Black, but overall it shows nicely. It must be a nightmare to fill at the pumps right now.
Old May 28th, 2018, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
In Canada it was quite common to NOT have an AC car. Rather the opposite of the US market. Here (likely due to the climate) it was actually more rare to have one that was AC equipped.
Yes, yes, yes, I keep forgetting about that Canada thing. It's a foreign country. They do things differently there.
Old May 28th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Yes, yes, yes, I keep forgetting about that Canada thing. It's a foreign country. They do things differently there.
bahahahahaha nope. You do things differently....there
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Jeff

That's a great car as-is. I'd avoid putting too much into it, as the values just aren't there. 20 years ago, a buddy picked up a '73 Grandville (the Pontiac equivalent of your Delta) for $500. Rust holes thru the tops of the fenders next to the hood, top all torn up, smoked like crazy, but fun for a summer. I think he sold it for more than he paid.
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Administrator

...I'm calling it done and ready to float. LOL
Are they ever really done? Both are really sweet cars.

You can do your build thread here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ilds-projects/
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Very cool car. I like the wheels. I also like your 3rd generation Camaro.

Were the Delta 88s ever available without side trim? I noticed the only trim on the side of yours is the Delta 88 badge. It looks pretty slick, especially in black.
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:10 AM

i'm a fan of these as well. We have a 75.

I'd opt to change out the steering wheel and go with a narrower whitewall and leave the rest alone.
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Were the Delta 88s ever available without side trim? I noticed the only trim on the side of yours is the Delta 88 badge.
Good eye. There IS supposed to be side trim, but, in my experience, it is often not replaced if the car is repainted as removing it usually destroys it, and reproductions are not available.

Here's a page out of the '74 Olds brochure. Note the side trim running the length of the car. That appeared on every Delta 88 Royale.

As I noted earlier, all Delta 88 convertibles were Royales, so the OP's car should have the wider, length-of-the-car trim piece.

Things were slightly different for the base Delta 88. There was still side trim, but it did not run the length of the car. Rather, it terminated just behind the front wheel opening.

Here's another page out of the '74 brochure. It's a little hard to see the trim piece because it's black on black paint in the image, but it's there. Note that the trim piece is a little thinner and passes below the door key opening, rather than "through" it, as it does on the Royales.

In the photo of my '75 Delta 88 above, the car has no side trim. That was the way it was when I bought it as it had been repainted as some point prior.

I was able to find some slightly thinner but otherwise decent-looking side trim from, of all places, J. C. Whitney, and I put it on at a later date. Here's the car with that side trim. I put it on myself, and I thought it ended up looking pretty good.

Old May 29th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What confuses me the most about the side trim on these cars is their placement. It's simply in the wrong place to protect against any type of door dings. If it was a cosmetic look that was intended, I think they would have been better off with stripe packages.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Allan, you are spot on. The trim is not on the widest part of the door, and it doesn't do as good a job as it could protecting against parking lot dings as it would if it were located farther down on the door. Maybe Olds just decided it didn't look good that low. Cosmetic considerations trumped practical ones.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Take a close look at the trim placement in this image. If they lowered the trim at all to make it more useful, there probably would have been a problem getting it to clear the front wheel opening. Or it would have simply not looked right being that close to the opening. Their only choice would have been to use the non-Royale style and terminate the trim behind the opening.

Old May 29th, 2018, 02:34 PM

The guy I bought the car from appears to have done his best with trying to keep up with the deteriorating age of this car and without the ability to do the work himself which would become a very costly venture for little gain to have to pay someone to do the work. I have an sentimental attachment to this car for my father had one when I was younger and good memories are attached.

This car is far from a $500 rusted source of transportation and deserves the respect to be restored for It's not that common and is not too far gone that the expense outweighs the value.
It's clearly evident that the car was painted for I can see the original color in some areas where it wasn't prepped properly and has started to flake off. It was originally a deep red or maroon in colour and more than likely the interior has been patched as well. I'm moving away from repainting the car black for I've got a few black cars and a bit of colour would be nice for a change. Lol but I do like the dark colours and thinking of going with a Black Cherry paint scheme like the picture attached.

My car has some nice rounded lines which I think will go good with this paint scheme especially with some white striping for accents.

I like the fact that you guys have good info on this car and keep it coming please! The molding on the side does break up the large body but I agree with Allan R that it's for cosmetic reasons and I would end up with a painted strip. The after market moldings are mostly glue on which tend to peal off in hot weather and just make a mess of things but definitely needs a little highlight. As for oldcutlass "are we ever done?" NO we are not! The major work on the Camaro is done but the little tinkering here and there will never go away in my experience. I just have a empty 850 square foot shop waiting to get messy and my hands dirty again. They don't get that way with the Camaro anymore! Lol
Old May 29th, 2018, 02:40 PM

If you can, post a photo of the cowl tag on the firewall. The paint codes on there will indicate what the original colors were.
Old May 29th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Absolutely! All info is good to ponder.

Old May 29th, 2018, 03:00 PM

You can actually see the red paint on the tag. But maybe it's been painted more than once.
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:30 PM

The 74 A paint codes indicate "cranberry poly" as the lower body color (74) and white as the upper body (top) color (A). See the second-last paint chip in the right-hand column and the roof color codes below that.

The 1E indicates 5th week (E) of January (1) 1974 as the build date, and the LAN indicates built at Lansing, Michigan.

Other info at the top

3 = Oldsmobile division
BN = Delta 88 Royale
67 = convertible body style

The TR327, A65, and B8 are option codes that I don't have info for. Someone else might. The TR (TRim combination number) code tells you the color of the interior and translates to black, which is the color of the car's dashboard, etc. I think the A65 just means front bench seat. The B8 could be something like power antenna or tinted windows or something like that.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 29th, 2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:11 PM

That's awesome information. Well the top definitely isn't white but it does look in good condition. It was replaced in black.

Old May 30th, 2018, 05:34 AM

The car looks tougher without the side trim. My father; Oldsguy, removed the side trim from his 69 Delta 88 when he repainted it.
Old May 30th, 2018, 05:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

RPO A65 - SEAT, FRT BENCH, SPLIT BACK, CTR ARM REST
TR937 is the interior trim theme of the car - white naugahyde
B8 is partly covered up - it should read B84 - ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG, BODY SIDE
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
B8 is partly covered up - it should read B84
Wow, you must have x-ray vision! All I see is a B, an 8, and phillips head screw!

Old May 31st, 2018, 03:19 AM

I am liking the ride of the car and they way the 455 was build to cruise. Very smooth engine. I've searched values and I'm debating what to do to it and how far to go but leaning towards an original look with some changes for creature comforts. I'm not a fan of the bench seat, they tend to sag on the edges after awhile and the lack of gauges I know is the norm but I like to see what the engine is doing rather than waiting for a light to come on which at that time it's probably already done damage.
The value from hagerty and other sites list the car at around 17K to 21K for all original, low miles and barely driven which this car won't be. To put 10K or more into this car would not be for profit but to make it my own and a keeper. Much like my Camaro, a stock look but upgraded mods for my pleasure. Keep the power train the same but rebuilt and new suspension. I agree with the white walls not being for this car so maybe different rim but not that big wheel look. Keeping the wheels some what a classic look. Majority of the money will be spent on body and paint. There is rust bubbles covered up with paint which needs to be addressed but not overwhelming to replace panels, just cut and patch. I'm going to take the summer to drive it and mull it over, maybe let certain things grow on me and form ideas.
Nice car,Thanks for savings another big girl from the crushers or being stripped of her heart.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:04 AM

Both your cars are very nice. I really like those 82-92 Camaros! I think you got a great deal on the Olds. That, I'm sure, is a very comfortable and smooth cruiser.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:09 AM
same but different

Welcome, thanks for sharing your cars. The 88 makes for one of the best cruisers. Smooth and room for friends!
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:24 PM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome to the site. I value all input and ideas. I owned a 73 442 about 20 years ago and loved that car, wish I still had it, so I'm quite familiar with Oldsmobile in general however the convertible is very new to me. Never owned or worked on them and their operation but I'm confident I can figure it out with some help from this forum when the time comes.

If any of you may be interested in my build thread on the Camaro to see the work I did to it, just follow the link.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...orn-again.html

I may go as far as taking the body off of the 88 for body mount replacement. I'll know more when I start tearing it apart this fall but for this summer I'm gonna drive it and enjoy some smooth sailing. Lol
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:56 PM

nice car, i love the big whites, if you want to add ac, i have 74 & 75 delta 88 parts cars.
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:23 PM

Thanks bigdooly, I've been getting mixed opinions about the wheels. I don't think I'll add A/C to the car. I pretty much just drive it on nice days with the top down but I will be looking for a factory black steering wheel to replace the one that's in now.
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:07 AM

Steering wheel

Yes, I see the mixed reviews. I wish I had a set of those for my 73 Sedan Deville.
Steering wheels that are not cracked are far and few between.
Is your wheel itself cracked, or is the trim in the middle falling apart.
I may have an extra black steering wheel, that is not cracked, but the trim ring is gone.
I would ask $100 + shipping U.S.D.,
If interested, I will dig it out and post photos, if I still have it.
Keep the big whites.
Old June 5th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

About the wheels... Have you ever considered looking for and installing a set of SSIV's? They were 2 year only - 71/72 and specifically only for Delta 88

SSIV wheel is a polycast surface over metal.
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:11 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Drive it! Alot!