The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just bought a pre-war Olds and have no idea what I've gotten myself into

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2018, 03:51 PM

Just bought a pre-war Olds and have no idea what I've gotten myself into

My buddy and I just bought this beautiful monstrosity on Craigslist. It's a 1941 Oldsmobile 98. It has the straight 8 and Hydramatic transmission. It was apparently painted by a German grafitti artist of mild repute, some years ago. Reportedly ran about a year and half ago, but probably hasn't been driven in decades. I love a good challenge, but most of my experience is with 60s Mopars, so I have a lot to learn. This is my first flathead, first Oldsmobile (actually first GM of any kind, aside from the modern Holden-lineage sport sedan in the background), first pre-war anything.

With some mild cancer in the doors, a lot more in the floor pans, slightly dinged-up bodywork, and a lot of pieces missing, it's not a good restoration candidate. This is great for me, because I have no interest in a detailed restoration. The grill, headlights, front bumper, all the trim, most of the door handles, and the back seat are all gone. The good news is that the frame and suspension parts appear solid, and all the mechanical components are there including a radiator that doesn't leak.. My plan at this point is to get it driveable and perform some upgrades for safety and reliability. Probably a 12-volt conversion, electronic ignition, and a more modern brake system that I can actually buy parts for through normal channels (preferably with front discs). I definitely intend to keep the stock drivetrain; that's a big part of the appeal of owning a classic car to me.

Not sure yet if I want to fabricate my own grill or source a used one that's in rough shape. It doesn't have to be pretty, either way.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Welcome from another Texan, interesting car there. The Vintage Forum here has a lot of knowledgeable folks always willing to help point you in the right direct. You may have some luck finding parts here with a parts wanted classified. Good luck
Old April 22nd, 2018, 05:09 PM

That's really cool. I also have never worked on/restored a really old car until I started on a 56 F100. You will be surprised the differences between a 60's and 40's car as far as parts availability and just plain condition goes. My Ford is a 56 and it's surprising the differences between it and my 2 early 70 Olds' .Sounds like fun! Keep us posted on your progress. Welcome!
Old April 22nd, 2018, 05:52 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by SpaceFrank
My plan at this point is to get it driveable and perform some upgrades for safety and reliability. Probably a 12-volt conversion, electronic ignition, and a more modern brake system that I can actually buy parts for through normal channels (preferably with front discs).
I just don't get the rush to go to 12 volts . The 6 volt system is adequate , if properly maintained , to start the car at 30 below zero . And indeed did that for many years . Long before 12 volt systems came to be .
You don't plan on driving it at 30 below , do you ?
The biggest problem with 6 volt systems , is when somebody uses "skinny" 12 volt cables . The proper " thick " cables are often available at tractor places . They will also have the "long Tom " batteries for it . Because John Deere used that battery in many of it's two cylinder tractors . As far as brakes , the stock parts are available . If , you know where to look .
Rock Auto , Fusick , Mobile parts , and Kanter are good places to look .
Disc brakes are unnecessary with that old flat eight .
However , if you must , Scarebird makes the best kit . They supply the brackets and hubs . And the rest of the items come from your local parts store .

One more tip , get yourself a 1941 Oldsmobile Shop Manual . E-bay is the best place to look .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; April 22nd, 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 06:15 AM

Very cool car!

I saw it on Craigslist recently. Should be a fun project.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 06:42 AM

Welcome aboard

Cool car
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:28 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Looks like you have a good starting point project...
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:37 AM

Welcome. I'd vote to keep it as original as practicality dictates. If everything is brought back to original specs it should function well. After all, in 1941 it was somebody's "pride & joy".
Old April 24th, 2018, 07:45 AM

I agree with Ozzie and Charlie no need to go full out with go fast parts on a slow cruiser, just no need, they worked 70 years ago and still will if brought up to specks. Keep your eye out on Ebay for a grill, stuff like that comes up from time to time. Floors may be a do it your self job as I doubt anyone reproduces floor pans or ever has. Enjoy your ride doubtful if you will run into another at most any car show no matter how large..... Lost in the fifties.... Tedd
Old April 27th, 2018, 01:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Should be a fun project, looking forward with your build thread. Welcome and enjoy!