The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New here, but not yet there :-)

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2018, 12:14 PM

New here, but not yet there :-)

Hello community,
my name is Ralf and I decided to register, as I am looking to buy an Oldsmobile Cutlass. I live on the other side of the pond in the middle of Germany. In between 1998 and 2007 though, I used to live in greater Detroit, Michigan working in automotive. During that time there was no other way but to get infected by the desire to drive a US-classic car. I spend 6,500 bucks and got me a '71 Buick Skylark GS convertible which I owned and enjoyed for almost 5 years. Time came to think about returning to Germany and as the seacontainer had space left only for one car (plus a motorcycle), my wife and I decided to part with the Buick and to take the Audi, which we bought for her in US, back to Germany, instead. Since then on many occasions I very much regretted that decision, but so what, life goes on.
Now that I parted from my motorcycle (decided to give it up completely) I need another toy to care for and to enjoy. I very much like the 1968-1972 Cutlass Convertible and so I made the decision to buy one and have it shipped to Germany. I am looking in the price range of 15 to 25k$, as I do not need showcar-condition, but still want to get a vehicle which is good to go and not in need of any major work (particular body). So, if one of you knows one who knows one,......please let me know :-)
I will in the meantime study the interesting stuff posted so far on this board. Most likely I will not be able to contribute that much, as I do not have a car yet.
Regards, Ralf (Skylark)
Old March 27th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Jeff

Welcome, Ralf! Big mistake on the Audi vs the Skylark! I cannot imagine what went into that decision, but I suppose it comes down to practicality sometimes (daily driver vs "the old car that takes up space").
Old March 27th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, there are many here form over there. Suggestion, make a list of items that you may want in your car, ie 350 or 455, automatic or manual transmission, any particular color, buckets or bench, etc... and post a Cars Wanted Classified ad on this site. Good luck in your quest.
Old March 27th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... This is definitely a good place to start looking for your Classic Oldsmobile (no pun intended, but if it fits, so be it)... Good luck in your search...
Old March 28th, 2018, 02:41 AM

Many thanks for the warm welcome so far.

Originally Posted by Weezer
Welcome, Ralf! Big mistake on the Audi vs the Skylark! I cannot imagine what went into that decision, but I suppose it comes down to practicality sometimes (daily driver vs "the old car that takes up space").
Yes and no. My wife is still driving the Audi, as it makes her remember the good time we had while living in Michigan.

@ oldcutlass: Thank you, will do. Being old school I first wanted to introduce myself.

Once done, I am hoping to get some honest feedback as to what to expect in my given price range.

Even though it would be fun to get a project car (I did a 3-year apprenticeship as car mechanic in a BMW shop before becoming a mechanical engineer) and like hands on stuff, I rather go for a solid driver. I believe is much easier to import a decent looking and mechanically sound vehicle (taxes and getting it street legal as historic vehicle). Also I do not like body work, I do not have the appropriate equipment to do frame off work and I fear that it would be terribly expensive getting body panels shipped to Germany. Good maintenance and minor upgrades however will not be an issue at all.

Let’s see, how it goes. A big block engine definitely would be great. I grew up in Mannheim and at that time we had quite some Army bases there. I admired the guys with their V8-engines and since then love the unforgettable engine sound. Bigger is better :-).
As I wrote in my introduction I had the 71 Skylark. At the same time, as my daily driver I had a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the HEMI. Great vehicle, great engine, but no comparison to the driving experience I had with my Skylark. I was somewhat missing the smell of fuel and all the little imperfections older cars naturally have compared to modern vehicles.
Once I figured out how to post pictures I will share photos of the rides I am referring to. To be continued ….
Old March 28th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Administrator

I think your price range is realistic @ $15-25k for a nice Cutlass convertible.
Old March 28th, 2018, 10:46 AM
KVP

Welcome! Look forward to pics when you purchase that dream car. In addition to watching the cars for sale section here, you may want to check out Oldsmobile Central which usually has Cutlass convertibles listed for sale.
Old March 29th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Greetings!

Definately think the price range is very doable for what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Troy
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:41 PM

Promised to post some pics:

Old March 29th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Had a girlfriend who drove a Buick back in the mid 70's same as the pictures you posted.
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:26 PM

Welcome aboard