The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1956 super 88 starter specs

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2018, 04:09 PM

1956 super 88 starter specs

Does anyone have the specs for the starter in the 56 olds? amperage, and crank speed.
Old March 16th, 2018, 03:18 AM
Frank Ignachuck

56 Starter Motor is Group 2.041 Part #1107638.

Shop Manual (you should get one) page 366 Section 13-40

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
56 Starter Specs.jpg (1.11 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by ignachuck; March 16th, 2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old March 16th, 2018, 05:14 AM

Starter specs

Thank you so much really appreciate it
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:47 AM

Crank bearing

The issue I am having is my car was running one minute then I washed it . Tried starting it and it was cranking but would not start. We checked spark fuel air now down to possible starter issue. Mechanic says it’s not turning fast enough. So my question is can the crank bearing cause it not to start? I washed the car the all of a sudden no start? Puzzling . Any help would be great.

Originally Posted by ignachuck
56 Starter Motor is

Group 2.041 Part #1107638.

Shop Manual (you should get one) page 366 Section 13-40

Hope this helps.
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Have you tried jumping another battery to what you have to get additional cranking speed? Doubtful its your starter if it worked fine before the wash.Could be bad connection at the battery/ starter or bad ground my guess.You could spray some WD40 in and around the distributor and wires and see if that will dissipate any moisture that's still there.

Are you sure the engine isn't just flooded from the hard starting. After it sets for awhile give it a short shot of starting fluid and see if you don't get a pop out of the engine.Keep us informed ...Tedd
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good advice Tedd. I don't think it is a starter.
Old March 16th, 2018, 08:05 AM

Hello Ted yes we changed out the battery swapped coil. There was a loose connection on the starter but that wasn’t it. Also had some oil dripping onto the starter from up above. Said cranking power is low on starter but will test it further. There was some fuel in oil prior so that’s why I was asking about crank bearing if it would restrict the starting of the car.
Old March 16th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Administrator

A lot of times when the engine gets washed, the inside of the distributor gets wet or condensation builds on the inside of the cap causing the spark to misfire on different cylinders.
Old March 16th, 2018, 03:13 PM

Have you found why you have fuel in the oil? Common fix for that issue is to rebuild the fuel pump. It's pretty important that you find the source where the fuel is getting into the oil, bad things happen if more than a little bit gets intermixed. I still think you have something else that is causing slow rotation of the starter or hard start. How do the points look? Do you have a good blue spark at the plugs? Put a light bulb or small heater under the hood (after you find where that fuel is coming from) and try to dry everything out over night then give it a shot of starting fluid and see if it doesn't fire. It's appears to me it is most likely moisture related. Keep us informed on any progress.... Tedd
Old March 16th, 2018, 05:41 PM

The car has an electric fuel pump. The point rotor and cap was changed out. Condenser, and coil changed. Everything is dry. Car is going on 4 weeks now being diagnosed. Last mechanic said crank bearing was bad $2000 but I can’t see that not causing it to start one minute and not the next. He’s testing the starter next may not be getting full speed. After that not sure
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess I am not sure what a crank bearing is. The only crank bearing I can think of is the main bearings. And the mechanic wants $2,000 to fix the crank bearing. One thing that has not been mentioned is the engine grounds to the body/chassis. This could cause your problem. Are all your cables on the battery and the starter clean. On my 54 and probably on your 56, the negative battery cable runs to the engine. Make sure that has a good clean connection.
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Is there any companies in your area that rebuild starters, alternators, and generators? Take it to them and get it diagnosed.
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:36 PM

You need to find a new mechanic! Unless the starter is drawing so much currant there is none left for spark I doubt if the starter is the problem.
Pull a spark plug and see if you have spark when turning the engine over (don't forget to ground the plug).
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Yes thereis a shop that rebuilds starters he will be testing it.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Is there any companies in your area that rebuild starters, alternators, and generators? Take it to them and get it diagnosed.
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:08 PM

This is my second mechanic and he is a good mechanic he is just troubleshooting all the normal stuff

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
You need to find a new mechanic! Unless the starter is drawing so much currant there is none left for spark I doubt if the starter is the problem.
Pull a spark plug and see if you have spark when turning the engine over (don't forget to ground the plug).
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:34 PM

I'm missing something here, I gotta ask but are we are talking about a seized or damaged main bearing causing so much drag that it is pulling down the RPM's on the starter?I could see diluted oil from a defective fuel pump doing that but you just stated that your car is fitted with a electric pump, does it still have the old mechanical pump also attached. Other wise an electric pump by it's self can't leak gas into sump. Somewhere we are missing some information. Or by quittance the starter did give it up at the same time as the wash job(doubtful)..Keep us informed... Tedd
Old March 30th, 2018, 06:22 AM
Woodeye

I sure would like to know the final verdict on what abua1969 was able to find out about the final fix.
Old March 30th, 2018, 06:37 AM

Verdict

hello everyone the verdict is in . My ballast resistor was bad. Also the starter was burned up from cranking. I replaced the both the ballast and new high torque mini starter and it started right up. So thank you all for your advice really game me a lot to go on.
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:30 AM

After reading this post !and a recent experience my granddaughter had while in Florida, I hope none of us have car trouble in Florida.
She had her air to quit working while there and found that something had punctured the condensor on the Air Conditioner .A mechanic there said he would replace the condensor ,drier ,vacuum the system, flush it and put in new freon for$1100!
I went to Rock Auto Parts online and had the new condensor and drier sent to my door for less than $125!
He could have held a gun on her and took her money and not been more guilty of robbery ,in my opinion. Larry
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
After reading this post !and a recent experience my granddaughter had while in Florida, I hope none of us have car trouble in Florida.
She had her air to quit working while there and found that something had punctured the condensor on the Air Conditioner .A mechanic there said he would replace the condensor ,drier ,vacuum the system, flush it and put in new freon for$1100!
I went to Rock Auto Parts online and had the new condensor and drier sent to my door for less than $125!
He could have held a gun on her and took her money and not been more guilty of robbery ,in my opinion. Larry
The cost of the parts is only a small part of the total cost of the job. You didn't tell us the year, make, and model, but I've worked on some newer cars that required removing the complete bumper, front facia, and grill to get to the condenser. Such a job could easily run ten hours or more. Depending on shop rates, that would be $750 in labor alone. You conveniently overlook the overhead costs of operating a shop - rent, insurance, EPA fees, taxes, etc, etc. You also seem to not want the shop to make a profit. Yes, shops mark up part costs. They also incur costs to order and get these parts. Finally, a shop needs to budget for returns - and customers are awful at this. Fix an A/C condenser and two weeks later the customer will be back complaining that it's the shop's fault that the rusty muffler fell off. $1100 may have been a bargain.