The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hey all! I'm here and brought a nice olds with me

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2018, 02:07 AM

Hey all! I'm here and brought a nice olds with me

Hello! My name is WiLiV and I'm the proud owner of a 1982 Olds Delta 88 Coupe. So naturally this forum seems like the ideal place for a guy like me. I'm a mechanic and spend my days wrenching on cars in upstate NY. I bought my olds last fall and only got to drive it for a few months before laying it up for the winter, but in that span of time it quickly became my favorite car ever.

I've had a long string of cars, but my most recent one was a 1969 Chevrolet Impala 4-door, and New York state had not done that one any favors. It was pretty rotten and would no longer pass inspection. I had put two new tires on the thing as well as a new Rochester 2bbl, and was able to recoup those losses and come out about $500 ahead when I sold the thing. So the very next day, I see an ad out for this car- it said: "1982 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale- an attitude adjustment car".

Intrigued, I clicked on it, and was greeted with a picture of a B-Body coupe, painted two tone in GM Silver and Dark Redwood, riding on rally wheels wrapped with Futura Super Sports. It had true dual exhaust, a sway bar, new air shocks, and a heavy duty trailer hitch. It had the stock 307 under the hood with that notorious computer controlled quadrajet, with the TH200R4 4-speed. And as soon as I test drove the thing I knew that this would be my car. Because while the 307 is no powerhouse, the car rode so smooth and quiet for it's age, it blew me away. Especially coming fresh off my Impala, with it's cherrybomb exhaust and horrible manifold leaks. So I didn't even try to lowball the guy, I just gave him his asking price, a very fair $2800, and drove the thing home the next day.

So that's the story. Hopefully I can use my experience to help someone out on here, and should any one ever need diagrams, I have an '82 Fisher Body manual as well as an '82 Oldsmobile Electrical Manual.

Cheers!

-WiLiV
Old February 4th, 2018, 02:47 AM

Welcome to the forum. Hope everything is well upstate. Spent 72 to 82 living in Chili. Lots of nice cars and people on this forum. I am sure they will find your expertise a real addition. They also like pictures so when you get a chance post some.
Wayne
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new DD.
Old February 4th, 2018, 05:48 AM

Welcome, aboard when you get time post some pictures.
Old February 4th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. That 82 Delta is a nice car. Years ago I had a 78 Delta coupe that my aunt bought new. We made a trip to California in that car in 1985. What a great road car. That was one of the best cars I ever owned. We would love to see some pictures of your car.
Old February 4th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group from another upstater... Good luck with your new acquisition... If you should need an 82 Chassis manual in addition to your other two manuals I have one available for sale...
Old February 6th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Welcome. Yes, I'd like to see your 82. I have a 78 Coupe and previously had an 84 Coupe.