The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie & my 1964 Starfire Convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Jeff

Newbie & my 1964 Starfire Convertible

Can't believe I hadn't found this site earlier. Anyway, here's my car. Owned since '98, bought from an Olds nut out in Kingston, MI, that hadn't owned her too long. He had a garage full of beautiful Oldsmobubbles, including a special '62 Starfire convertible.

Anyway, I always intended to replace the radiator and get her painted. Well, life happens, radiator stayed put and paint is still peeling and cracked. Fast-forward to Aug 2017, and I finally recored the original radiator, put new oil cooler lines on, refreshed fluids, poured A LOT of gas directly into the carb, and voila... she lives again. I went thru about 45 minutes of cycling thru the whole "pour a little gas in the carb, crank the engine for a couple minutes" before she finally roared to life and stayed running. I may have let out a very loud, "YA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" or "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH!" Not sure which.

Tucked back into the garage the night I got her running again, Aug 27,2017. Last time running was 2008, and registered properly was 2006.

Now that the calendar has turned to 2018, I'll start looking for little bits and pieces to get some of the other mechanicals and cosmetics back in order. Heater blower motor resistor, hubcap spinner, maybe a service manual to figure out how to reconnect the cruise control.

I couldn't bear to have an aluminum radiator built and installed. It would have bothered me every single time I popped the hood. Pretty sure most of you guys can understand that feeling... had to stick with the original look.
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Very nice car and congrats on getting here going again. 1964 was the year I graduated from high school.
Old January 25th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Jeff

Thanks. I posted additional pics in an album in my profile. I'm ready for spring to get here, so I can pull her back out, clean it up, and have a brake shop take a look at everything underneath. I know I could and should go thru the brakes myself, but if I wait, then I'll lose more driving time that I am not going to give up. She sat in one spot for too long, now it's time to enjoy again.

She leaks oil quite a bit, wondering if I should invest in having a shop put in a new rear main seal, or just keep replacing the cardboard on the floor of the garage.
Old January 25th, 2018, 12:59 PM

Nice car, I love them.
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sweeeet ride.
Old January 25th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your project... Paint doesn't look too bad in the photo...
Old January 25th, 2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Thanks. I posted additional pics in an album in my profile. I'm ready for spring to get here, so I can pull her back out, clean it up, and have a brake shop take a look at everything underneath. I know I could and should go thru the brakes myself, but if I wait, then I'll lose more driving time that I am not going to give up. She sat in one spot for too long, now it's time to enjoy again.

She leaks oil quite a bit, wondering if I should invest in having a shop put in a new rear main seal, or just keep replacing the cardboard on the floor of the garage.
depends just how much oil it leaks!
Old January 25th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Phantom Phixer

A rear main seal can be costly , if you have someone do it for you .
Cardboard and oil are really cheap . Your call .
Old January 25th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I keep a drip pan with oil dry on it under my 54. I think I can slow it down but you just can stop the leaks on some of these old cars. When I park it in my driveway I run in the garage and get a piece of cardboard and put under her real quick. I don't have a lift and I really hate working under a car at my age.
Old January 25th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nice car !
Come and join us "big car "guys on this thread ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ers-unite.html
Old January 25th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Welcome fellow Michiganian, or is it Michigander? I love the Starfire, Now get it on the road!!
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Jeff

Yeah, I have debated getting the rear main done for a number of years. I think *if* I do it, will also pull the trigger on having the trans gone thru at the same time. Just not sure it's worth the time and expense. For sale sign will be in it while out and about town, just too many things to take care of and keep maintained between having an old car, a cottage on a lake, a pontoon, and an old jetski. The stupid high price that I plan on writing on the for sale sign will probably result in having her for several years. Plus, I think the boys will never forgive me for selling it a year after getting it back on the street.
Old January 26th, 2018, 12:09 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your good taste in big Oldsmobiles. When I got my car it leaked so bad the entire underbody was oiled (Rustproofing!) I replaced the front engine crank seal, front rubber trans cooler lines, rear trans seal, trans pan gasket and trans filler pipe o-ring. I also carefully tightened the oil pan bolts. It still leaks but probably 90% less and cardboard works fine. Most of the leakage was trans related rather than engine...
Old January 26th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Paper train your classic

I be loving those Starfires. My ride has to be paper trained also.Seems I get one leak stopped when another appears. The big problem now on mine is the speedometer attachment on the transmission, can't seem to get that one stopped and as far as I know there isn't a seal there to replace as in the newer transmissions, anybody know of a fix for this on a slantpan hydro. Tedd
Old January 26th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Weezer, welcome, nice car. You need to go to the Oldsmobile Homecoming in Lansing, on the Saturday of Fathers Day weekend, usually have 500+ Oldsmobiles there.
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Nice car! You better replace your tires. I can't see them being safe after sitting in one place for ten years.
Old August 6th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Jeff

Original Window Sticker

IMG_2142.JPG
Realized the other day that I never posted a pic of my original window sticker, and also discovered that I have the original Protect-O-Plate in the glove box, too!

Seems to have gotten several of the available options, but would be curious to know what it did NOT get. A few things no longer work, such as the cruise and AC, but everything is still on the car, just needs to be repaired.
Old August 6th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

Wow ! $5,900 price tag was in Cadillac territory , back then .
You've got just about all the "gismos" they offered back then too .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; August 6th, 2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:34 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Yeah, sweet Starfire! Welcome to CO!

Old August 7th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Attachment 208608
Realized the other day that I never posted a pic of my original window sticker, and also discovered that I have the original Protect-O-Plate in the glove box, too!

Seems to have gotten several of the available options, but would be curious to know what it did NOT get. A few things no longer work, such as the cruise and AC, but everything is still on the car, just needs to be repaired.
I think yours is pretty well loaded, here is a copy of my 63 sticker to compare. I think most of these cars were loaded up back then and quite expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Window Sticker.jpg (555.7 KB, 8 views)
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Does not have AM-FM radio, 'super deluxe ' is signal seeking or Wonderbar AM radio, Safety Sentinel Speed Warning, Delco Pleasurizer Air Shocks, Bigger tires. I'm fairly sure 4-way underdash flasher was on the list for '64. Under dash snot box and some other stuff is dealer accy. Looks like a fun car.

EDIT: Your option list notes 'bi-phonic speaker', your car might not have reverberator. Not sure.

Last edited by coldwar; August 7th, 2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: ooops
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Jeff

"Pleasurizer shocks?" That made me laugh!

My Dad didn't think I had the reverb speaker, either, as that was a separate button to activate the reverb effect. I pulled the Wonderbar out and put in a tape deck / remote cd controller back in '99, and didn't cut any holes for speakers. I just wired up two 6x9 speaker boxes that sit in the back seat.

Thanks for the list, Coldwar!