The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newb

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:39 AM

Newb

Picked up a very solid 65 jetstar 2d hard top bucket seat center console years ago. Been a very slow off and on project. Finally really started at it over the last few weeks. No experience with paint/body work. Trying to get it to primer so it's a respectable driver. Got the front bumper off today. Rechrome shop is suppose to call with a price quote tomorrow. Waiting on my new coil springs and shocks in the mail. Should be here any day. Checked the rear diff fluid level today and the plug started to cross thread going back in. It's always 2 steps forward 3 steps back with me and projects. Loving the forum and looking forward to learning.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lets see it.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Be sure you are sitting down when you get the quote for the chrome. I'm guessing about $700.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. Be sure you are sitting down when you get the quote for the chrome. I'm guessing about $700.
I'd be happy with that.... over here in Germany, they ask 1500 euros for one bumper...
Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:50 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your project... Chrome work prices can very quite a bit... Depends on your requirements for quality... Double versus triple chrome plate etc... As well as the location of the chrome shop... The closer to your location with the best references is always a good thing...
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, lets see it.

thank you. She's pretty ugly right now but here ya go.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:45 PM

I don't think you mentioned it was a Jetstar I, which is a whole different beast and way more desirable than a plain Jetstar...very cool.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I don't think you mentioned it was a Jetstar I, which is a whole different beast and way more desirable than a plain Jetstar...very cool.

awesome! Great to know. Parts have been next to impossible to find. I grew up in the back seat of a 65 olds 98 and found this one in my searches for a 98. It was all the same dash etc as I remembered as a kid but much sportier. I honestly never even heard of the jetstar before buying this one. So am not very knowledgeable about it. Read about people poo pooing on the model. So that must have been just the jetstar model? I knew I couldn't go wrong when I saw the interior package and solid bones.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:27 PM

You have a 425 engine (providing it is original) with factory dual exhaust and a Turbo 400 trans. There are differences between the small block Jetstar such as differential, wheel bolt pattern and suspension parts. Always ask for parts for a Delta 88, Dynamic or Starfire when it comes to brake parts, engine parts suspension parts. Do not even mention the word Jetstar as you will get no part or wrong parts.
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:31 AM

FYI it also looks like wheel adaptors are on the front drums, this is not quite the way to go for aftermarket wheels. It is better to get the proper bolt pattern wheels.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1965Jetstar
awesome! Great to know. Parts have been next to impossible to find. I grew up in the back seat of a 65 olds 98 and found this one in my searches for a 98. It was all the same dash etc as I remembered as a kid but much sportier. I honestly never even heard of the jetstar before buying this one. So am not very knowledgeable about it. Read about people poo pooing on the model. So that must have been just the jetstar model? I knew I couldn't go wrong when I saw the interior package and solid bones.
Olds built two different cars in the 1964-66 timeframe, both rather confusingly called "Jetfire". Both were versions of the B-body platform, which included the Eighty Eight family. The Ninety Eight is a C-body, but except for the longer wheelbase, it is nearly identical to the B-body mechanically. As you correctly remember, the B-body and C-body use the same dash and (except for grill details) are identical from the front seat forward.

On those two different Jetstars, there was the low-rent Jetstar 88 and the sporty Jetstar I. Yours is the latter. The J88 was a loss leader full size that used the smaller 330 engine, Jetaway automatic, brakes, and differential from the Cutlass line. People downplay the J88 due to it's low-rent station in life.

The Jetstar I was intended to be a slightly less expensive version of the Starfire. Engine, trans, suspension, and brakes are pretty much the same as those in the Starfire. Trim is slightly toned down. The Jetstar I is a pretty cool and unique Olds from that vintage.

As noted above, the Jetstar I is really just another version of the Eighty Eight line, so order parts for an Eighty Eight, since few will have ever heard of the Jetstar.

As for the wheel "adapters", they look more like spacers. In any case, your car uses a 5 x 5" wheel bolt circle and wants wheels with close to zero offset. Adapters or spacers are not a good choice, as most are cheaply made and have questionable strength. People often use them on cars like this to run "bling-y" wheels designed for a FWD car that have far too much positive offset.
Old January 4th, 2018, 11:36 AM

Thanks very much fellas. The 425 seems to be long gone and engine codes pulled as a 69 455 I believe. Do you know if the delta 88 front and rear bumpers are the same? Great information and really glad I joined the site.
Old January 4th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Do you know if the delta 88 front and rear bumpers are the same?
Yes they are. Unfortunately, these have the mounting brackets on the backside that trap dirt and salt, causing the bumper to rust out. Nice used ones will be difficult to find.
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:59 PM

Yes they are. Unfortunately, these have the mounting brackets on the backside that trap dirt and salt, causing the bumper to rust out. Nice used ones will be difficult to find.
yes. I can't get 2 of the bracket bolts off the back of the bumper. They just spin. Can't get the backside to grab to get the nuts off. Frustrating stuff.
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

yes. I can't get 2 of the bracket bolts off the back of the bumper. They just spin. Can't get the backside to grab to get the nuts off. Frustrating stuff.
Unfortunately the bolts are supposed to have a square section, like a carriage bolt, that fits into the slot in the bracket to keep it from spinning. Once the bolt or bracket rusts, the bolt spins. This is what a cutting torch is for.
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Unfortunately the bolts are supposed to have a square section, like a carriage bolt, that fits into the slot in the bracket to keep it from spinning. Once the bolt or bracket rusts, the bolt spins. This is what a cutting torch is for.
got the quote from the chrome shop. $1,000-$1500 per bumper. Damn. How do people sell finished projects for $15-20k???
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

got the quote from the chrome shop. $1,000-$1500 per bumper. Damn. How do people sell finished projects for $15-20k???
They take it in the shorts. These cable shows are total BS as far as turning a profit. It is always much less expensive to buy a completed car than to build one.

That fact has not yet stopped me from acquiring more projects, however.
Old January 5th, 2018, 01:26 PM

That seems high to me, Ogden Chrome does mail order bumpers and I use Tri City, they are usually at Carlisle swap for drop off and pick up. The last one I had done 3 years ago was 500 bucks.
Old October 24th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Slow progress updated pics.

Old October 24th, 2018, 04:41 AM

Old October 24th, 2018, 05:29 AM

Looks like a pretty darn solid car! I love the 65 Jetstar 1! Very nice..
Old October 24th, 2018, 05:19 PM

Nice work .What color are you painting the car?
Old October 26th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Thanks much! This is the color I am going with for my first round learning the process. It’s taken forever to get to this point. Zero experience working with any of this stuff other than watching my dad a few times when I was young.