The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1976 Cutlass Brougham

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2017, 02:07 PM

1976 Cutlass Brougham

Hello,

Been a member here for a few years. My first car was a rusted out POS 77 Supreme with a V6. Bought it from my dad it was his daily driver. Destroyed that engine with-in a few weeks. Swapped a V8 in after that.

I've owned more 76-77's then I can count. Salon's, Supremes, Broughams, but no S or 442. Never cared for that style. When my son was born I had no time or money to continue the passion, so I got out of the game for awhile.

Had my eye out for one over the last few years when this 30,xxx mile beauty popped up on Facebook this last summer.

Original owner from Iowa ordered it from the factory with the options he wanted so he could tow his small boat. I believe it to be a one of one. I know it's highly unlikely with so many built, but here's the list.

Triple Black Brougham trim, red pin stripe, NO passenger mirror, NO rear defrost, power windows, locks, seat, lighting package, delay wipers, clock, AM/FM 8-track, rallye gauges, 110 speedo, Tempmatic HVAC, Sport steering wheel, Passenger lighted vanity mirror, Driver operated air ride, argent wheels, Rallye suspension, 3.08 posi, and the 455 under the hood.

It's mostly original with the exception of tune-up and maintenance items. He did have dual exhaust installed with the double hump cross member in 84'.

I drove it home about 4 hours away. The carb was rebuilt by his mechanic but it's not right. I had to replace the radiator, fan clutch as well as the belts. Kept the originals. She's in storage for the winter, can't wait till spring.

I have all the documents except the window sticker. They tried to remove it but it tore to pieces. The owners wife wrote it all down. Pics below.

Thanks for all the great information on this site. Keep up the good work.

Jake

He left me all his 8 tracks too. Some of it's good music.

Original Tire, jack has never been out of the car. Dealer trunk mat. Felt mat is under.

Found under the back seat

$6,039 New
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:19 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Wow very nice. 76 was the last year for the 455.
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:22 PM

Beautiful! has all the goodies too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2885.JPG (1.47 MB, 6 views)
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Welcome, nice ride.
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Hookers under Hood

Very Nice and clean, The 455 with posi is a nice option. Good find!

Eric
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and compliments.
Old December 29th, 2017, 08:18 AM

SWEET! Welcome to the site.
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:00 AM

She a beauty!!!
Old December 30th, 2017, 06:08 AM

Love that velour pillow top interior, really nice!
Old December 30th, 2017, 03:16 PM

That's beautiful car. Nice purchase. So how does the air ride work. If i remember correctly there is a vacuum actuated air pump. Never seen one could you take a picture if you get a chance?

Mike
Old December 30th, 2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
That's beautiful car. Nice purchase. So how does the air ride work. If i remember correctly there is a vacuum actuated air pump. Never seen one could you take a picture if you get a chance?

Mike
Thanks Mike. You're absolutely correct.
Old December 30th, 2017, 09:27 PM

thanks for the picture. Nice option. I am thinking it must rare, i haven't seen too many of those. I thought you might be interested in my Avatar picture. Is was a drawing done by Mr. Len Castillo. He was the head of the GM design studio that designed the Colonnade style of cars. Had many a good email conversation with him a number of years ago.

Last edited by Mike77; December 30th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:25 AM

I've only seen them in other Gm cars, but never on a 73-77. Mike do you have a larger picture of your avatar? I would have loved to talk to him. The great car designers are like royalty to me.
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:14 AM

I have the picture hanging on my wall right in front of me. It is one of my prized automobile collectibles. I will take a picture later and post.
Thanks for the interest. Very few realize the significance of the drawing. I am happy to share with another enthusiast.
Mike
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:03 PM

That's an awesome car! Congrats!

I think the story behind the car is just as great. You have yourself one heck of a great find.
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:56 PM

Welcome and very nice car. Not much work to be done on that car.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Welcome and very nice car. Not much work to be done on that car.
Thanks, mostly needs detailing. I did the interior after these pictures were taken. The original paint needs a good buffing. The engine bay is the worst. A good cleaning and some paint will bring it up to snuff.

Mechanically it needs very little. I have to go through the steering yet and the carb is not working as it should. Other then some new shocks the suspension is tight. Oh and the exhaust manifolds leaks make it sound like a grain truck.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:01 PM
Forward into the Past

That's a beautiful car, a real time capsule. It really surprises me that the original purchaser specced it out without a passenger side mirror when he was intending to use it to tow a trailer. And speaking of mirrors, I'd have to put a pair of bullet mirrors on it, if it were mine.

There's a really nice '74 or '75 Cutlass Supreme coupe parked below my parents' third floor retirement facility apartment. It's triple burgundy with a landau top and swivel bucket seats with the center console. It's in really nice condition and hasn't moved since they've lived there, although the renewal sticker on the license plate is up to date. My pet theory is the owner's mother lives there and doesn't drive anymore, so the son stores the Cutlass there.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:20 AM

My intent is to keep it original otherwise I would put the sport mirrors on it. I don't want to drill holes in the door either. My thought was to get the matching passenger mirror, remove the mounting studs and use magnets to secure to the car. That way I can take it off for shows and what not.

In fact any changes I make must all be reversible. For instance I have a pair of Salon buckets from one of my long gone 77's (the recaro version) that I want to recover with Brougham fabric to make it look like it came from the factory that way. I've even got all the floor shift parts to make complete. Don't get me wrong the bench is amazing, but I like to mix things up a little.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:53 AM

Congrats on that car! She's beautiful. I love trying to rationalize how or why certain option were selected and others not. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when my 73 442 was ordered.

I love the fabric pattern on the 76 Broughams. Very different than what was found on the 77s.

Seeing this thread also makes me think about the conversations I had with Len Casillo when he sketched both my 73 and 77 back in the day. Awesome!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:09 PM

I always thought the 77 pattern was to "disco" for my taste. I still have a full burgundy 76 Brougham interior that I've had since high school. I swapped into at least 5 different cars before being stored away for another day.

I asked him about his odd option choices. He ordered a car in the 60's with rear defrost but didn't like the box in the back window. He didn't know they put the lines in the glass by 76'. As for the side mirror, his words not mine, they didn't have them in 1976. I didn't argue with him. He made good choices otherwise. Makes it unique.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:39 PM

Very sweet ride!
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:43 PM

Thank you for all the nice pictures. I remember these new in 1976, very popular car.