The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy from Ontario

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2017, 12:05 PM

New Guy from Ontario

Hello All
My name is Byron and I reside in Ontario, Canada. Very recently my father who is 96 and still going strong decided to gift me with his baby a 1977 Oldsmobile Toronado Brougham. He has owned this car since new and it has approx 120,000 miles on it. Mechanically it is in pretty good shape but needs a new pan gasket and rear main seal which are on the to do list when it comes out of storage in the spring. The major work that needs to be done is the body which has some rust, needs a repaint and some of the trim needs replacing. Also the rear bumper and rear bumper fillers need to be redone. Oh and the a/c needs to be re-done.
Many of my friends question why I would want to spend any money on restoring this car especially in light of how difficult it is to find parts for it and that they have little value in the classic car market. They don't understand that I think it is important to retain and maintain a single owner family vehicle, nor do they seem recognize that my father is now 96 and it may soon be all that I have left to remind me of him. So be it I guess. The one thing I do know is that at any of the local cruise-ins there are no other Toronado's around so it is unique and I like that. Also it is still mechanically sound enough that I have no hesitation in driving it 400-500 miles to go some classic vehicle event. And it rides like it should - it just floats down the highway. And like all big cars of this era, the front end arrives at your destination a half hour before you do - lol!
Here are few pictures. Hope they come through ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20171005_104535.jpg (2.11 MB, 29 views)
20171005_104545.jpg (1.92 MB, 31 views)
20171005_104558.jpg (1.93 MB, 29 views)
20171005_104634.jpg (1.62 MB, 30 views)
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sweet car. Congrats on carrying the torch.
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:17 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Nice ride. Most may not get it but everyone here will . Enjoy your ride and you will find alot of help here.
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:25 PM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome, we get it haha, good to hear you want to continue driving that fine Oldsmobile.
Parts are hard to come by, but, that's the best part of this hobby. Meeting talking to Olds guys!
Their is a 77 very similar to your's, same paint, sitting by a shed north of Mount forest on Highway 89
From Canada here as well!
Enjoy the ride and this great Olds site.
Cheers,
Eric
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:43 PM

Ditto on all the above, keep em in the family.... Tedd
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:46 PM

Tell your friends to go suck an egg. These cars are beautiful, even if they aren't a part of your family history.

I bought a '78 Toronado XS earlier this year. It wasn't running, but I've since gotten it back on the road and had it repainted. I love it.

Regarding parts availability, I found anything mechanical I needed easy to come by except for one major thing...the radiator. If your car needs one of those, you'll likely have to have the one in the car recored. No one makes radiators for the second generation Toros.

My car needed the rubber fender extensions as well. These are available from several suppliers online. Most are made of fiberglass, not the original softer material, but with a little tweaking, they can work fine.

Here's a photo of my car taken last winter as it was being pulled out of the muck and loaded onto a flatbed on its way to a meet-up with the carrier who brought the car to me from Georgia. The car had not been started since 2003. It had spent the last 10 years outdoors under a car cover. There was significant surface rust, but the body and frame were really in not too bad a shape. No rust through on any of the body panels.

Here's the car after the repaint and with the new fender extensions installed (and a lot of other work done!)

Your car is beautiful. Keep it. Fix it up. Enjoy it.

Last edited by jaunty75; December 21st, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:51 PM

Here's a couple of places that sell the fender extensions. I bought mine from the first one.

left side:

http://www.replica-plastics.com/prod...quarter-panel/

right side:

http://www.replica-plastics.com/prod...quarter-panel/

Another vendor. I have no experience with this one.

http://www.sandkindustries.com/
Old December 21st, 2017, 02:09 PM

Welcome to the site. Always nice to get an original owner car, especially one from the same family. Have fun with your father's Oldsmobile.
Old December 21st, 2017, 02:50 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... It appears you have a fine piece of family history as well as Oldsmobile history... Two for the price of one, can't beat that...
Old December 21st, 2017, 05:57 PM

Hi All. Thank you so much for the welcome. It is really nice to be involved with a group that appreciates what these wonderful cars represent and are willing to share and help fellow enthusiasts out.
To Jaunty, first let me say that is an amazing restoration you did on your Toronado XS. Also thank you for the lead on where to get the rear bumper fillers.
To Eric, nice to know that there is another Oldsmobile nut nearby! Is that Toro you mentioned in Mount Forest running or might it be available as a donor vehicle for parts?
Was wondering if you fellows could offer any leads on where to find a driver side outer door handle, vinyl roof trim and a replacement rear bumper even one that needs chroming.
Byron
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ByronF
Hi All. Thank you so much for the welcome. It is really nice to be involved with a group that appreciates what these wonderful cars represent and are willing to share and help fellow enthusiasts out.
To Jaunty, first let me say that is an amazing restoration you did on your Toronado XS. Also thank you for the lead on where to get the rear bumper fillers.
To Eric, nice to know that there is another Oldsmobile nut nearby! Is that Toro you mentioned in Mount Forest running or might it be available as a donor vehicle for parts?
Was wondering if you fellows could offer any leads on where to find a driver side outer door handle, vinyl roof trim and a replacement rear bumper even one that needs chroming.
Byron
Byron, I've got the a door handle and vinyl top trim on a 1978 parts car. Pretty sure they're the same but we could compare pictures to be sure. John
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ByronF
a replacement rear bumper even one that needs chroming.
Why do you need a bumper? The one on your car looks fine from what we can see.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:25 AM

Welcome aboard
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:25 AM

Welcome Bryon;
Quite a few other Canucks on this site & a bunch from Ontario.
A new Olds Ontario club just started - goggle "Olds Club of Ontario".
Post your want ads in the parts wanted section.
Derek
P.S. I am from the Ottawa area
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:27 AM

Welcome neighbor, You'll find all that's needed on this site...
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=ByronF;1063385]

I'm not sure what they plan on doing with it. They have a few cars parked along side the shed. I've been going up to Pike Lake Golf & Country Club for the past 12 summers and it hasn't moved. Most members here help each other out when looking for parts, I'm sure you will find everything your looking for here. However, the more parts the better. I will inquire when I go up this spring and let you know.
Eric
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Hi All
Was away over Christmas and just catching up on things now.
2blu442 - thanks for the offer of the door handle and trim from the 78. I think they will fit as well just need to do a bit more research. What are you asking for the parts and what would you estimate shipping to be?
Jaunty75 - My dad decided a few years back to repaint the bumper (not the uprights) in silver to hid the scratched chrome. I know I could have this one re-chromed but was hoping for something that was solid and still in original and decent condition. Other that the body work and re-paint was hoping to retain some of the original 40+ patina if you follow what I mean. If I have to re-chrome then I will have to do both bumpers - not the end of the world I guess.
Rocket North - See you are from Ottawa. We just spent Christmas there. My wife wants to move there to be closer to the son. Good to know there is a cruising buddy up that way if we do move.
76 Olds - Thanks for the offer to check out the car next time you are heading that way. If you can give me more specific directions I could take a run up there myself and enquire if the vehicle or parts are for sale.
Happy New Year Everyone!!