The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Oldsmobile Purchase

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Smile New Oldsmobile Purchase

I am looking at a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe to purchase from the guy who bought it new. It is all original, matching numbers, no rust, in very good shape with 54K miles on it. It is red in color with a black vinyl top. It has turbo hyd automatic and cold AC. My question is two part. How desirable is this car and how can I best determine it's value? Thank you in advance for any advice offered!
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Use google to search out similar Cutlasses (1970/71/72) for sale; compare general condition to help establish a price. Although not as desirable or valuable as a 442, W car or Rallye 350 there is good demand for the body style.

Options such as console shift, buckets and so on help add to the value and desirability.

If you can post some photos of the car others here may be able to put you in the ball park for value.
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:20 PM

This is the only picture I have at this time.
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Its not as desirable as a 442. If the rest of the car is as nice I would say $10-15k, more if the timing chain and other maintenance items have been taken care of.
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Runner

Looks like good condition from the picture posted. 12-15k seems to be average. Check out what has been on the market in the past in difference conditions/price.
https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/se...=any&color=Red

You can take off the color filter in the link above to expand the results.
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:47 PM
delete

If it looks that good in person, it will be on the higher end of the $10K-$15K range IMO. As previously stated, options will also have an impact. It is a desirable color combo with nice wheels.
Original cars are very hot in the market right now. I'd suggest to ask for any documentation he has that can prove the mileage. Also, post the codes from the data plate (on top of the firewall on the drivers side) so you'll know what was original and what was changed. Good luck.
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:40 PM

Thank you all! It does look just as nice in person! I can purchase it for 12,500.00. Seems like a no brainer. They are not making anymore of them but I thought 10,500.00 was more in line. 12,500.00 is his firm price.
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Michael Kelley
Thank you all! It does look just as nice in person! I can purchase it for 12,500.00. Seems like a no brainer. They are not making anymore of them but I thought 10,500.00 was more in line. 12,500.00 is his firm price.
Welcome to the site...
Based on the average $10/$15K estimates, $12,500 is right in the middle... As you said, "it's a no brainer"... Has he had any other offers, or perspective buyers... If the seller is not compelled to sell for less then his bottom line, you have to ask yourself is the additional $2K worth it to you from a financial/investment standpoint...
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Well you surely can't restore one for that. He might change his mind if some time passes, but then you take the chance of losing it if you wait.
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:25 AM
delete

IMO what it comes down to, is do you view it as a long term keeper or something you'll use for a few years & sell? If its the former, the price difference is inconsequential. A second thought is nothing is more expensive than body work. If the body is as clean as you say its worth the $$.
Looking back to my own experience (in NY), my car came from Dallas originally and looked to be very clean, with come minor bubbling on the lower fenders. I had my mechanic put the car on the lift before i bought it & he opined that I wasn't going to find a NY car that clean. I was wiling to pay a premium for that. After a garage mishap a few years later I had the car in for paint where it was taken down to bare metal and it was as clean as we thought. IMO def worth it.
That is what you are paying for. Really get into it & make sure its as clean as it looks. Get it up in the air and take a good look at the frame, floor, trunk drop offs, lower cowl, rockers, everything. If its a rust free car its worth it.
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Kelley
IMO Michael 12,500 is it's a bargain if you don't have to do major body work after your purchase. I learned after restoring my black Delta 88 to get the best car with the least amount of rust and pay a little extra up front then pay the bodyman later.The light blue Delta 88 had very little rust some my paint job was alot less..Good luck