The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My Inherited New Ride

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Eric:
How about that first car that pops up when you click on the link.
Is this a shameless plug?
Old October 28th, 2017, 07:25 AM

Eric:
How about that first car that pops up when you click on the link.
How about the second car( not mine though) .... Tedd
Old October 28th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have no shame. That second car is one of my favorite color combos for 55. I have never seen that car but it is probably a nicer car than mine.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I think it would look good with 22" spinners, digital dash, airbags for that slammed look and a full ground effects package, topped off with a cool custom chain steering wheel.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I think it would look good with 22" spinners, digital dash, airbags for that slammed look and a full ground effects package, topped off with a cool custom chain steering wheel.
Praying you're kidding here
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
Praying you're kidding here
Judging by the looks of his car I think that would be a safe bet.
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:40 AM
'59 Olds Super 88 Project

Success!! She's seen the light of day again. First time in 43 years. She's not quite home yet but staged at my buddies place and going to get a bath today!
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Very exciting thread!
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Old October 29th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Damn, that's as long as the truck!

Can't wait to see her cleaned up.
Old October 29th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Congratulations,you have won a jewel. These cars drove beautifully,stock from the factory
and with only 12,000 miles ,that has not changed. Clean the tank and fuel components as mentioned , clean the master cylinder and all brake components, check all fluids.
Original is the way to stay with this car!
I sold the '55 4 Dr. Holiday in my avitar, a year ago, for $20,500 because it was so original. If I had of changed it all up (hod rod style) !I have no doubt that it would not have brought that much! Larry
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am anxious to see this one in person Mike. Congrats.
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Rocket Renegade!

More pics when you get things tidied up, please!
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:35 PM

You mentioned different paint schemes,there was three different ways that the factory two toned the 1959 Oldsmobile's. One was top only a different color, another was top and a streak from the fender rockets on front fender to a line that ended below the Taillights which included the top of quarter panels and trunk lid ,an the third was the streak (listed above) but the top and remainder the original color. All three can be seen by googling '59 Oldsmobile Images. There was a color called Fawn Mist Metallic that would match the interior color.
Your choice,but if that black polishes up like I think it will,it will be georgous just solid black. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; October 29th, 2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Correct
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Can't wait to see her cleaned up.
As long as the truck and probably heavier.

Once you clean off the 43 years of dust and cobwebs you might want to start a new thread on the Vintage or Major Builds forum .As you can probably tell you have aroused in all of us a ton of interest. Not many 50 era cars are found these days with only 12,000 original miles on them.... Tedd
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
As long as the truck and probably heavier.

Once you clean off the 43 years of dust and cobwebs you might want to start a new thread on the Vintage or Major Builds forum .As you can probably tell you have aroused in all of us a ton of interest. Not many 50 era cars are found these days with only 12,000 original miles on them.... Tedd
X2. I am drooling waiting on more pictures
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:56 AM

Ok Gang. I moved my thread to here in the Builds and restoration group.

Posted under....
1959 Olds Super 88 (Inherited Beauty) – 12,685 Original Miles
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mapdrummer
Thanks Redoldsman. this is actual an all black ride, I have searched the internet to see all available color schemes for this vehicle but not having much luck. I cant wait to get to work on this. I am actually going to pick it up from my Grandparents house tomorrow.
Here you go for available colours that year:
https://www.expresspaint.com/automot...e=41&idModel=0

My guess is, you could order a two tone (like mine is) in every combination of those colours.
Anyway, keeping it black is better than my pink ride.
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:01 AM

So I've done some research and think I'm ok, just would like to have a confirmation before 4 show up on my door step. Can Anybody confirm that getting 15 x 8 wheels be an issue. I know theyll work for the rear, just want to make sure they work in the front and have no rubbing issues when turning.
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:30 AM
Olds Fever

I have been leaning the most to keep this original as possible and to have a piece of history like this, not to mention belonging to a family member, is quite something and not much heard of these days.
Can Anybody confirm that getting 15 x 8 wheels be an issue. I know theyll work for the rear, just want to make sure they work in the front and have no rubbing issues when turning.
Thought originality was your goal... 15x8's may not clear the rear quarters, or at best very close to the wheel opening lip...
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Thought originality was your goal... 15x8's may not clear the rear quarters, or at best very close to the wheel opening lip...
Good Point. My immediate dilemma is that the car is on the trailer still and needs to come down and in my garage. I replaced 2 of the tires for transport and both of those are flat. I suspect rust around the rim or pitting somewhere. Long story short on that is i have 3 flat tires on rims that wont hold air (technically 4). Interesting though, the one holding air...the original spare tire. So, I want to get get the new wheels and tires on there so i can bring all the way home. I will address the original rims and put period correct tires on them and have them to slap on if i should ever get it to a car show etc. either way i am duplicating cost but i dont have the time in this instance. Once its home, I got all the time the good Lord will let me have with it. Thanks for insight on the 15x8...maybe i should stick to the 15x7
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:22 AM

Very Cool! What is your location, perhaps a member close to you would assist in lending some wheels with tires so you can move the car to where it will stay?
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike:

I have a set of chrome wheels that are drilled to accept either 5 lug pattern. They were on my 54 when it came from California. If you want to use them I will loan them to you. You should be able to get some used tires pretty cheap. I know a place over in Garland that cane probably fix you up. I think they will fit you car okay. You just have to drive to Rowlett to get them. I didn't even think about them until I saw Oldsmaniac's post.
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:05 AM

When i was giving her a bath, i noticed that the gas tank is indeed rusted though at about a 1/4 inch gap by about 4 inches long. is the best option on these situations to cut out the bad and re-weld it or find a replacement? If so, anyone have a good source for parts?
Old October 31st, 2017, 12:14 PM

You will find that it is difficult to get trim parts and things like a new gas tank for these cars. If it is repairable go for it but it may be worse than 1st thought.
Old October 31st, 2017, 01:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I checked tanksinc and they don't offer one and Fusick only goes through 1958. If you can find one for a Buick and maybe even a Pontiac they might be the same. You may have to get a used one and have it cleaned and resealed by a radiator shop.
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:02 PM

I checked tanksinc and they don't offer one and Fusick only goes through 1958. If you can find one for a Buick and maybe even a Pontiac they might be the same. You may have to get a used one and have it cleaned and resealed by a radiator shop.
Thanks Glenn, I appreciate it!
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:16 PM

But what ever you do don't throw away that tank. Even if it is no good the dimensions will be there for someone to copy and build.

Wish I was closer also I also have a set of custom wheels left over from when I did what
you are going to do. Eight inch rears will work but seven inch is is about all you can do on the fronts depending on tire size. I think chevy 1/2 ton pickup wheels 5x5 late seventy's era will fit and should be cheap at a junk yard with roller tires already mounted.

If this sounds like I would prefer you to leave this car completely, stock well... yep been there done what you intend to do and have never regretted reversing myself as I'm sure Redoldsman is also.. That being said it's still your car, your money and your family that you have to please. I'll still gawk at it like I just fell in love but hold my breath as I gaze at the wheels. Kinda like seeing Linda Vaughn today in a string bikini, I'd look but some how she would have lost some class. ...Just my buck and a half which is worth about 2 cents these days..... Tedd
Old October 31st, 2017, 03:48 PM

WOW how cool... welcome
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:17 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
But what ever you do don't throw away that tank. Even if it is no good the dimensions will be there for someone to copy and build.

Wish I was closer also I also have a set of custom wheels left over from when I did what
you are going to do. Eight inch rears will work but seven inch is is about all you can do on the fronts depending on tire size. I think chevy 1/2 ton pickup wheels 5x5 late seventy's era will fit and should be cheap at a junk yard with roller tires already mounted.

If this sounds like I would prefer you to leave this car completely, stock well... yep been there done what you intend to do and have never regretted reversing myself as I'm sure Redoldsman is also.. That being said it's still your car, your money and your family that you have to please. I'll still gawk at it like I just fell in love but hold my breath as I gaze at the wheels. Kinda like seeing Linda Vaughn today in a string bikini, I'd look but some how she would have lost some class. ...Just my buck and a half which is worth about 2 cents these days..... Tedd
Look up tank renu
nationwide warranty

I do indeed love these olds mobiles
hope you have way much fun with your czr
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:47 PM

I had tank Renu done on the fuel tank for my 1940 90 series coupe, not concourse correct, but decently functional and still the original tank. Have patience when trying to bring this car back... It has sat for more years than many folks on this forum have been alive. It is a treasure and should be appreciated as such. If you'd like to modify it, it is your car and you can do as you'd like to make it yours. If you choose to do so, please bear in mind it's originality and try to make your personalization reversible so that the next caretaker can return it to its original state if desired. Wheels are easily changed in and out, injected 5.3/6.0 liter power plants, not-so-much. Try to not throw away the "junk" parts you remove. These "junk" parts have a way of becoming priceless or at a minimum a blueprint for what a point car restorer is looking for. If you happen to join the NTOC, I'd look forward to seeing the car first hand... I've been around a little while, and can say that these are not commonplace. Fantastic colors,..two doors,... Factory air.... Wow!
Old November 1st, 2017, 02:06 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Late to the party but loving the fact you too have an original. PLEASE keep it that way. Let your son mod it when it is his. Original is just that. Get those photos up.

Original '64 D88, 29,700 miles

Old November 1st, 2017, 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=btw;1053393]Late to the party but loving the fact you too have an original. PLEASE keep it that way. Let your son mod it when it is his. Original is just that. Get those photos up.

Original '64 D88, 29,700 miles

Man, thay is one good looking ride.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:28 PM

I should probably put a notion to bed here that my son would want to mod this car out. It's me that I have to put restraint on. My first car was a 74 Chevy Malibu Classic and rebuilt that motor when i was 16. Next was a 79 Z28, that one was strictly for racing. After that, college, job, and family took over. All good things for sure and i am truely blessed. I am giddy at the chance to work with this car. I have resigned myself to heed the advice of many at this point and keep it as original as possible. I know its the right thing to do. I will even restore the original wheels with caps etc as time goes by. When it comes time to build another hot rod I will do that too, it just won't be with this.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:30 PM

Here's a couple more pics, thin time without 43 years is dust and dirt.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:36 PM

I also wanted to share with y'all this pic. I spent maybe 20 minutes or so working this one spot and was amazed at how clean it came. Lots of work still ahead, but I think it's a motivator for sure.
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

So you got it home and got it in the garage. I still have the wheels you can use if you need them. You will be surprised how much you will enjoy driving this car when the time comes. It is a totally different experience. I call 50's cars romantic. Oldsmobile was building really great cars at that time.
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:57 PM

So you got it home and got it in the garage. I still have the wheels you can use if you need them. You will be surprised how much you will enjoy driving this car when the time comes. It is a totally different experience. I call 50's cars romantic. Oldsmobile was building really great cars at that time.
No, still not home yet those were taken while it was still at my grandparents house. It's still on the trailer. I have wheels coming in though and I appreciate the offer. That's super nice of you. I am out of town later this week, but my hope is to have the car at my house by the end of next week.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:38 AM

I should probably put a notion to bed here that my son would want to mod this car out. It's me that I have to put restraint on. My first car was a 74 Chevy Malibu Classic and rebuilt that motor when i was 16. Next was a 79 Z28, that one was strictly for racing. After that, college, job, and family took over. All good things for sure and i am truely blessed. I am giddy at the chance to work with this car. I have resigned myself to heed the advice of many at this point and keep it as original as possible. I know its the right thing to do. I will even restore the original wheels with caps etc as time goes by. When it comes time to build another hot rod I will do that too, it just won't be with this.
Nice. I've got a heavily modified car to play with, but my Olds is stock and I enjoy keeping it that way. 1 of each is the way to stay happy. That's a really, really cool old hardtop there. What style.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
Nice. I've got a heavily modified car to play with, but my Olds is stock and I enjoy keeping it that way. 1 of each is the way to stay happy. That's a really, really cool old hardtop there. What style.
I always thought it be cool to get a 1971 something car to hotrod out. Seeing how that was the year I was born, thought it would be cool. Plus cars still had style and Thanks man, Im looking forward to the journey.

Quick Reply: My Inherited New Ride