The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to group but not to Oldsmobiles!

Old October 8th, 2017, 09:45 PM

New to group but not to Oldsmobiles!

First off let me introduce myself by saying that I've got a '70 Cutlass S that is a numbers matching, early build L-33 car that I have owned since 1976! It was my second car that took me through my high school graduation and many places since I grew up in the metro Detroit area to now in the DFW area of Texas. I bought the car on a family trip to Colorado as I wanted a rust free, western car. I'm kind of partial to the '70 models as my parents had special ordered an early version L-33 SX and I remember that day at Key Oldsmobile in Warren, MI that they ended up trading off. I looked at an SX in Amarillo, a used and abused 442 then my Astro Blue Olds in Denver. Seeing how it was equipped and an "S" car I knew it was different, almost a 442 in disguise!

As it turned out, I am the fourth owner and the car originated from Maryland and was produced in Framingham. The build sheet is intact, and I have documentation except from the original owner, and at some point the front end sheetmetal was replaced, but with a stressed frame! I had welded up one crack behind the drivers side crossmember on the outside perimeter. Must have been some accident. In fact, with the car running and standing still I could take the steering wheel, move it end to end and you could watch the bumper move from side to side! And to think I'd get in some wild situations with that!

But to fast forward a bit, my Olds has been sitting in the garage since 1986 and I am now able to plan it's restoration. I kinda' finished off the frame by avoiding a suddenly stopped car in front of me on an exit ramp and took the grass into a narrow but deep drainage ditch, catching it with the right side and the tire dropping down, bumper hitting the dirt. Ouch, pushed the frame back a couple of inches....oh well, I needed another frame anyways. Fortunately, the body itself is nice and straight and I've got a parts car and other goodies acquired over the years. Timing has finally come to light!! I've got myself involved with the local Olds club chapter and frequent the Cutlass/442 groups on FB too. I consider myself pretty versed with '70 models and it amazes me some of the manufacturing differences just in the one model year. I have some non-correct items that I will keep on my car because it came that way if possible, and I'm a bit of a purest as my car will always be an S as it has always been to me all these years. Okay, some upgrades and a re-refresh to the engine are in order and I lean towards the "what if Oldsmobile upgraded to a L-31 in an S too?" mode! Yeah, I'm definitely attached to it!!
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Maintained

Welcome to CO. You will find lots of good information here.
When you get a chance, post some pics of your car. Love to see um.

Cheers
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site from just south of you. Post some pics when you get a chance. I'm assuming you joined the NTOC, great group.
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Yes, The NTOC. Great group of folks and a very active club!
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... There is a lot to be said for owning the same vehicle for 40 plus years...
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:55 AM

I couldn't bring myself to getting rid of it besides the history (and the timeless stories) that the car has with me. I've got a lot of support to restoring it.
As for posting pics (which all of us like to share and see), once the car looks less like a garage fixture it will be fun to do so!
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Wanted to post some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0561.JPG (1.62 MB, 30 views)
IMG_0563.JPG (1.38 MB, 21 views)
IMG_0562.JPG (1.17 MB, 23 views)
IMG_0513.JPG (1.38 MB, 27 views)
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:04 AM

Not sure why my pics posted at -90 degrees but my build sheet came out okay so I'll leave 'em for now!
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:04 PM

I saw your pics on facebook. Keep us posted on your restoration. If you click on the pics and hit "view image", they should rotate to a normal viewing position.