The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1972 Cutlass Supreme HT Project

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 06:04 AM

1972 Cutlass Supreme HT Project

I need some advice. I am starting to restore my 72 Supreme. It is a numbers matching car. It has the 350/4bbl, Th350, console shift. The odometer reads 49,xxx original miles. The PO had paperwork to back up that it had not rolled over, not that it really mattered to me anyway. The car is bone stock and other than some rust under the vinyl and a few door dings, is straight as an arrow. I have the build sheet, all the original manuals in perfect condition, the window sticker, etc, etc. The interior has zero rips or tears, the dash is solid, with only the dirty carpet to be replaced. The PO included new front and rear bumpers (the rear having the exhaust cutouts which was not the style of the original bumper), and new carpet.
The way I see it, I have 2 options:
1. Simply restore the car to factory original...Period.

2. Build the car back with the following changes:
*Convert the front drums to disc
*Add the tic toc tach gauge package
*Add an OAI hood
*Add the hood striping kit
*delete the side moldings
*possibly add a dual gate shifter
*change the interior from dark saddle to black carpet/white upholstery
*add the 4 spoke steering wheel
*Possibly delete the vinyl top
*Install HEI ignition

I suppose the bottom line is this...is the value of this car completely restored (BTW, I am doing a frame off) high enough to not consider going with option 2? Especially considering that I have all the original docs, etc. in pristine condition. Or should I just build the car I want with an eye towards keeping it as original as possible, but still adding all the things I want in the car?

I will be posting some pics of my progress later.
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Its a Cutlass so its not going to absorb all the expense you plan with some sort of return. Eventually you will have more in the car than its worth based on your description. That being said its a blank slate to do as you wish and enjoy. Don't forget the entertainment value that comes with fixing it up and enjoying the journey.
Old August 12th, 2017, 10:14 AM

It's a 72 Supreme, they made lots of them so the value is never going to be as high as a 442, or Convert, W-30, etc. So most likely with a frame off, you will have more money in than it's worth.

Build it the way you want it, I never worry about what I am going to get out of cars because I never seem to sell the ones I really like anyway.

BTW... car in pic below was a plain jane Supreme when I bought it.. whitewalls and hubcaps..