The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi! My name is ...

Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:20 PM

Hi! My name is ...

Jim Matusiak and I'm new to this site. I'm 66 and a long time Oldsmobile fan. In fact, I learned how to drive in my dad's 1968 Delta 88. Had my first accident in that car too ... on his birthday! I'll never forget that day. It was a minor bump but I had his cake on the front seat and needless to say it got bent along with the front nose . Many years later - 2001 - I bought a 1972 Cutlass Supreme - red with black vinyl top. Nicely restored by the owner and enjoyed by our family for several years, but this car is currently in storage waiting for me to find some cash to bring her out and refresh the restoration. If I can find some pics I'll post these. In the meantime about 10 years ago I found a wonderful 1979 Delta 88 Holiday Coupe with about 50k miles, stored winters and in excellent shape. I've been storing her winters too but over the years have added another 50K to the odometer as a summer driver. I have just put her in for restoration of the vinyl and headliner along with some other cosmetic work. I am looking forward to seeing the results of this work and will post some pics soon. So with 2 classic Oldsmobile's in my possession, I think I'll enjoy my time on this site sharing and learning with other like-minded car nuts. Cheers!
Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome to the site Jim. There are several Canuks here and plenty of Carnuts too!
Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:01 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... There are quite a few well seasoned Oldsmobile Enthusiasts here on the site and you will most likely fit right in... Looking forward to seeing pics of your Olds History...
Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome, look forward to some pictures.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:02 AM
Randy C.

Same age...same story...except my learning to drive and first accident was in my dad's '66 F-85 Deluxe, shortly after his 44th birthday. Won my first track letter later that evening after the accident at my high school invitational track meet...mom said it looked like I was running so fast because my dad was after me about the accident!

Welcome to this site, the best Olds site there is today. Show us some pics when you get the opportunity. Red and black is always an attractive color combination!

Randy C.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:16 PM

Welcome Jim, we're almost neighbours!
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:54 PM

Nice

Both of my 2 boys (16 and 13) have already showed interest in our hobby!! They will both have Olds Convertibles in our 2nd driveway very soon just like me!! Can't wait.
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:38 AM

Neighbours ..

Indeed we are neighbours RROLDSX! Do you ever cruise your SX along the White Rock beach? Should be busy with an impromptu car show this holiday weekend!
Here are a couple of pics of the '79 Delta Holiday I took last summer in Tsawwassen.
BTW - The boys at Rags to Riches are supposed to start working on the vinyl and headliner this week. Looking forward to the results. Pics of this will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2093.JPG (1.96 MB, 24 views)
IMG_2094.JPG (2.05 MB, 23 views)
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:01 AM

I was hoping to purchase an SX at the time I joined CO, therefor the RROLDSX I did however purchase a 1969 442. You can see my pics in my profile. The car is currently off the road temporarily. We'll likely run into each other at some event. Nice Delta!
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Nice Delta
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Nice car you got more pictures?
Old August 12th, 2017, 06:19 PM
golden rocket

Welcome, Jim. really like your Delta, especially the silver color.
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:35 PM

Silver Delta

Thanks Golden Rocket. More pics will be posted once I get her back from the shop. Brand new vinyl top and head liner and few othe cosmetic goodies! Hopefully soon ...
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:26 PM

79 Holiday 88 Pic

Here's a snap I found in my files from a couple years ago.
Attached Images
DSCF0725.JPG (2.30 MB, 8 views)
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM
golden rocket

Jim, sure looks really good. I passed on a 79 Delta coupe, black with the red interior, was really sharp looking, was priced around where I could negotiate. But then seller told me about all the electrical problems he had and that was why he was selling it. We finally got it to start, but the old bell knock sound told me don't throw good money after bad.

Have any interior pictures?
Old August 13th, 2017, 10:03 PM

Manning Pitches Oldsmobile

Sorry no interior pics but here's a fun link to Curbside Classics where Archie Manning appears in an ad pitching the Olds - could be my car he's leaning on in the showroom. I have copy of the 79 Olds brochure pictured in the article and the interior on mine is the red vinyl as shown. The small insert showing the silver Holiday with the sun roof is identical. I'll include interior pics when I get her back from the resto shop.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/...al-oldsmobile/
Old August 14th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Build Sheet & Dealer Confirmation

Here is the build sheet - which was found when the shop was repainting a few years ago.
Also here is the Dealer Order Confirmation which provides MSRP on the car and it's options. The original owner gave this document to me.
Attached Images
Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:44 PM
golden rocket

Jim, 1st time I have seen other than a 98 with the Astro Roof (sun roof). really good documentation on the car, too.

mike
Old August 22nd, 2017, 10:21 PM

Options

Thanks Mike - Hmm. I didn't know the Astro Roof was rare on the 88. I have a spare replacement glass for the sun roof which the original owner had ordered - just in case. I wonder what that spare part is worth? Also, the Order Confirmation mentions an 8 Track but the owner had that deleted and replaced with the then new tech cassette tape deck. So that - along with an oddly cool pop-up tape storage rack in the console - are what is installed. He also added a Delco equalizer under the dash (was that a factory option in the day?) and a tachometer (definitely 3rd-party). Another cool (rare? factory?) option is an analog temperature gauge mounted outside on the driver side just behind the mirror (visible in the pics already posted). I'll include pics of all of these options when I get her back - hopefully soon!