The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hey boys and girls needing help from you knowledgeable peeps

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2017, 08:29 PM

Hey boys and girls needing help from you knowledgeable peeps

I have recently purchased from auction a 455 olds motor I'm looking for some help with what this baby is worth I was told by a cutlass group to discuss this with all of you so I will post some pictures. I'm not going to keep the motor I'm a small block guy , so any help I would appreciate thank to all of you. It's hard to make out but I'm hoping you guys know

The motor is completely rebuilt

This stuff was in a box under the plastic wrap

This intake was also with the pallet all plastic wrapped together

Last edited by Chicagoshane; July 11th, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:38 PM

Welcome to the site! It looks like you have a franken engine, but one with some good parts on it. The stamp in the block shows it to be a 1971 engine. But the D heads are from 1968-69 W30 or Hurst Olds, very desirable heads! The O4B intake is an older one that's not made anymore, not worth anything like the heads but still easy to sell.

If you bought it just to flip it you'll likely get more money selling it in pieces. I think the last set of D heads I saw sell on ebay went for $3,000 but that can depend on what's been done to them. The less machine work done the better. Odds are you won't have to take less and you'll probably get more than that. Are both heads D castings?

John
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:41 PM

What do you want for that complete engine? I'm possibly very interested.
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:41 PM

One other thing about selling a rebuilt motor, without paperwork there's no way to know for sure what's inside it, or how skilled the person was who assembled it. People will be more likely to purchase parts that can be verified as new or rebuilt. John
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
yeah I'm selling everything
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
One other thing about selling a rebuilt motor, without paperwork there's no way to know for sure what's inside it, or how skilled the person was who assembled it. People will be more likely to purchase parts that can be verified as new or rebuilt. John
Thanks t
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:50 AM

Welcome to the site! It looks like you have a franken engine, but one with some good parts on it. The stamp in the block shows it to be a 1971 engine. But the D heads are from 1968-69 W30 or Hurst Olds, very desirable heads! The O4B intake is an older one that's not made anymore, not worth anything like the heads but still easy to sell.

If you bought it just to flip it you'll likely get more money selling it in pieces. I think the last set of D heads I saw sell on ebay went for $3,000 but that can depend on what's been done to them. The less machine work done the better. Odds are you won't have to take less and you'll probably get more than that. Are both heads D castings?

John
thanks, I went to the auction because I had been in the shop before I purchased 3 engine packag 2 GM 6.2 and this one I'm going to sell it thanks for your help .
Old July 12th, 2017, 09:14 AM

John
yes both are Ds
Old July 12th, 2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
make me a reasonable offer
Old July 12th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

71 Olds Block from Lansing but those last 5 numbers don't look right. Not factory number fonts. Like a PO has restamped this using their own stamps.
Old July 12th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
71 Olds Block from Lansing but those last 5 numbers don't look right. Not factory number fonts. Like a PO has restamped this using their own stamps.
It looks more like the stamps were simply not held square to the surface when they were struck I wouldn't read too much in to that. It's not like there is a lot of money to be may faking a 1971 block. Heck, if the seller wanted to fake a VIN derivative, he'd have made it a 1969 stamp and claimed it was an H/O motor...