The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie with new 1951 Rocket 98 Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2017, 10:12 PM

Newbie with new 1951 Rocket 98 Deluxe

Hello to all! So I literally just completed the purchase of my 1951 Olds 98 Deluxe Rocket today and hope to have it delivered next week. I've been pursuing this car now for over 6 months so am thrilled that I was finally able to come to terms with the owner. Kind of interesting story with it, was originally purchased in Little Rock Arkansas in May 1951 (I have all of the original documents) and before the buyer could take delivery he passed away. The widow asked the dealer to store the car for her which he did for 18 years, running it once a month and otherwise storing it in a heated garage at the dealership. When the widow passed away the estate sold it to a fellow who brought it up here to Canada. The fellow I purchased from, technically the third owner, bought it in 1978 with only 1425 miles on the odometer. From that time until 2005 he only added another 15,000 miles which was mostly just club outings and one cross Canada tour in 1995. The car currently has 16,700 miles on it but, although stored indoors, has suffered severe paint crackling and the engine won't start (turns over and was fogged when stored so pretty confident she will go). No visible rust and interior seems to be in relatively good shape outside of some stains and mildew smells. Anyhow that's where I'm at, can't wait to take delivery and looking for advice from all of the olds experts out there. Never had a car of this vintage and particularly 6 volt electricals. Not sure if I'm attaching the pics properly but should point out that it's a true 20' car (nope...not even 10'!!), up close the paint is rough!

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited by 51Rocket; July 7th, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old July 8th, 2017, 02:51 AM
Frank Ignachuck

It's beautiful!!
Old July 8th, 2017, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, interesting story. The car looks to be in great shape for its age. As far as getting it started, go with the basics of air, fuel, and a well timed spark.
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Congrats. Very nice and what a story. If it turns over you should be able to get it started. I would almost guarantee the gas tank will need to be dropped and cleaned. I would caution against repainting the car. Cars are only original once. Even though the paint may be cracked in some places, original cars with their patina are very sought after.
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:39 AM

Thanks Frank!!
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Thanks (other) Eric! Agreed should start up, couldn't get it going back in December when I first looked at it but then again it was beyond freezing cold at the time (remember that we are in the Great White North up here!) so didn't really give it a good shot, at least it turned over. And of course not starting helped get me a much better price!
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Definitely looks good in the photos... Enjoy the ride...
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Congrats. Very nice and what a story. If it turns over you should be able to get it started. I would almost guarantee the gas tank will need to be dropped and cleaned. I would caution against repainting the car. Cars are only original once. Even though the paint may be cracked in some places, original cars with their patina are very sought after.
Hi Redoldsman, thanks, absolutely one of the first orders of business will be dropping the tank and cleaning, hoping it's not too big of a deal. Regarding the paint I would love to leave original but sadly I think the cracking (and some chipping) has gone beyond saving. Once I have the car running and on the road I will drive it over to my paint guy and decide the best course of action. This will be the last order of business! So I provided pics from 20' which of course look good but now I will post close ups of the paint condition I'm referring to. I guess it's best as well that I open a new thread about the paint outside of the newbie section but until I do that would love to hear some thoughts/ideas.

Cheers,
Ron

Old July 8th, 2017, 06:13 PM

Welcome aboard, nice find. Is the center of the searing wheel a compass? I think I remember a 54 Oldsmobile that had that center gold globe that was a compass, neat addition.. Tedd
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Ron: After seeing the close ups I would agree with you. When you have it painted you may want to use single stage acrylic enamel which will give you about the right amount of sheen to look original/ A lot of folks use base coat and clear coat which in my opinion makes the car over restored.

Tedd: I never saw a compass in the middle of the steering wheel. What you might be thinking about is the clock in the horn ring they offered as on option in 51 or 52 or maybe both years. They then replaced the clock on the dash with a compass. When you turned the steering wheel it wound the clock. If you find one of those in working condition, the horn ring and clock will probably cost $3,500 - $4,000. I have seen one of them on one of our members car.
Old July 8th, 2017, 09:07 PM

Hi Tedd, the steering wheel center is a kind of globe and stars which is the same as the front and rear emblems on the hood and trunk, I believe the globe was tied into the "Futuramic" styling introduced in 1948 and then carried through. I wont be offended if I am corrected by another member on the forum! I've attached a better pic of my steering wheel hub.

Redoldsman: thanks for the paint advice, this is exactly why I joined!!