The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

62 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:50 AM

62 cutlass

Hello from WA. Wife and I just bought a 62 Cutlass yesterday. I have been looking online for parts catalogs....Do not see a lot for the 62...This forum page is a lot different than the one I use for my Comet... As I told my wife we now have the worlds smallest auto museum...lol...Anyway I am trying to find a shop manual for starters. The shift linkage for the automatic is sloppy. Also being that this is a Y body, why wont the front suspension, or at least the front hubs from a 62 Tempest fit? Thanks for being patient if these questions have been asked and answered.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
Hello from WA. Wife and I just bought a 62 Cutlass yesterday. I have been looking online for parts catalogs....Do not see a lot for the 62...This forum page is a lot different than the one I use for my Comet... As I told my wife we now have the worlds smallest auto museum...lol...Anyway I am trying to find a shop manual for starters. The shift linkage for the automatic is sloppy. Also being that this is a Y body, why wont the front suspension, or at least the front hubs from a 62 Tempest fit? Thanks for being patient if these questions have been asked and answered.
Welcome. As you have found out, the 61-63 cars are not well supported by the aftermarket, and frankly, the customer base isn't there to justify it. The Cutlass/F-85 and Skylark/Special use the same suspension, steering, and brake parts. The Tempest is completely different. Even the Tempest wheel bolt pattern is different.

As for the Chassis Service Manual, 1962 is a funny year. It's the only time Olds did not issue a dedicated CSM, only an update. This means you need to purchase both a 1961 CSM and the 1962 Supplement. Be sure the 1961 manual you get is the Revised Edition, not the first printing. There are at least half a dozen of the 61 manuals on ebay right now, starting at about $14. Get an original, not a reprint or CD, for best resolution and completeness.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:20 PM

thanx
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lets see your new toy.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:14 PM

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:15 PM

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:16 PM

needs the body panels aligned, paint redone, leaks fixed, and reverse fixed.
Old July 4th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Welcome, looks pretty nice.
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:47 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Four matching wheels and not so tired paint is a great start.