The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

62 Dynamic 88

Old May 19th, 2017, 11:15 PM

62 Dynamic 88

My car 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 two door have owned for 17 years been parked for 10 it was a clean car so trying to clean it up and get it back on the road ten years ago I was updating brakes disc in front disc in back updated power booster the back disc were the easiest at that time fast forward the back still has drum. Ok here I go new to any forum here is my pile of questions where to post and where to find answers to lower vent vacuum actuators , where to find used door outer window rubber like the picture , where to get question answered on if the heater runs with the key on or when the car starts, where to find an wiring diagram on the heater only , how many inches of vacuum from the fuel pump , should a vacuume check from the line at the fuel pump hold vacuume or bleed off. I will stop now even I am getting confused . Thanks Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0027.JPG (1.11 MB, 39 views)
IMG_0028.JPG (943.9 KB, 33 views)
IMG_0029.JPG (1.02 MB, 33 views)
IMG_0030.JPG (1.26 MB, 30 views)
IMG_0031.JPG (1.19 MB, 33 views)
Old May 20th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks like a solid car. Questions can be posted in the appropriate sub-forums.
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:53 AM

Welcome aboard Steve and congratulations on your good taste in big Oldsmobiles. Join the Darksiders thread (others will give you the link) also start a project thread and list your topics one at a time. Also use the search feature, there is a lot of good info here.
Old May 20th, 2017, 10:59 AM

I am having a little trouble trying to comprehend what it is you are asking/seeking in terms of information.

You state: where to find used door outer window rubber like the picture

Why in the world would you want "used?" I believe the item you seek is readily available from suppliers like Steele Rubber.

You state: where to get question answered on if the heater runs with the key on or when the car starts

In all seriousness, this one has me boggled. If we start with the premise that the heater never runs when the key is off, it would seem to follow that it only runs when the key is on; that is with the engine running. That said, on the '62 Olds the ventilation system/heater controls are vacuum actuated.

I am not an authority on this by any means, and invite anyone else to jump in and correct my errors. The position of the dampers determine whether fresh air, heat or no air is directed into the cabin and/or onto the windshield. Those dampers are all vacuum actuated. The fan, which is electrical, controls the rate of flow of the directed air.

The routing of the ventilation vacuum hoses has been discussed here before. Those discussions may be able to be found making use of the search feature. Maybe someone else has a link to that discussion thread. If they do, I am sure they will provide it.

Hope that answers a couple of your questions. Good luck!
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:50 PM

The dark side I think l like that thanks. Eric thanks. now mr dave Yaros have you really ever looked at a original car the beauty of how it was manufactured when you look at the stainless 1/8 bead on the beltline it perfect it is larger on the leading edge that slides in to the wing window I want to Keep the bead and replace the rubber I don't have the drivers door side. The heater fan motor don't mistake it for the engine . the key has three options to the left acc to the right on and farther right monetary start run you release it runs we all understand that I hope. when I turn the key to the right the heater fan motor runs without the engine running how and why because at the heater fan motor there is this a vacuum actuator with the engine off at the conecters no continuity with vacuum there is continuity and the motor runs. This is not rocket science or is it it is a Rocket . This is a forum where fans of olds look for help I hope ?Thanks Steve
Attached Images
IMG_0029.JPG (1.02 MB, 24 views)
IMG_0032.JPG (862.0 KB, 26 views)
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:34 AM
Administrator

The accy key position will operate all electrical for the car with the exception of the ignition. The on position operates all electrical including ignition. The start position operates starter/ignition only. Whether your heater fan runs with the key in the on position is determined on whether it is selected to be on or not. I'm not familiar enough with the way your vacuum system interacts with the fan motor to tell you, but by your picture if the black wire runs to the fan motor apparently that actuator has something to do with it.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:57 AM

Welcome to the forum. I know the guys on here can help you, they have helped me a bunch!
Old May 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM

Hi Eric I think you are wright. So how can the fan motor run without starting the car there is no continuity at the connection in the picture before or after you turn the key on. There is a two speed switch that works when I manually activate the switch in the picture when I manually put the switch back in it's park position the motor runs at a lower speed. Does any one know if it is a true off switch or is it like a Low resistor. Can a bad ground do this . I have seen a bad ground do weird things.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:47 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Lots of knowledge here for the asking as you have already most likely realized...
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Duneracer
now mr dave Yaros have you really ever looked at a original car the beauty of how it was manufactured
Can't say I "have ever really looked at a original car" or know a whole lot about them.

Sorry I was not able to be of help to you.
Attached Images
2007 Show 4.JPG (740.0 KB, 14 views)
2013 OCA-Wi Show 3.JPG (3.05 MB, 12 views)
1st Pl Award.JPG (2.57 MB, 15 views)