The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbyloads
RROLD yes 3k makes a huge difference lol money is money I could of put in kids college fund could of updated kitchen floors yeah 3k I a nice chunk of change let alone the knowledge of being scammed if I over paid that much
I don't think you were scammed whatsoever. Like I said, you will save that $3K easily by not driving a fast depreciating newer model. As far as I'm concerned you lucked out on getting one in such nice shape.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Thanks herbie, and if I actually owed you the 1k I would pay it but what you said is honestly ridicoulas 3k
How is it "ridiculous". How could you even say this when I even showed you an example, and fast too. Did you not see the ad I provided or did. Thats a living example of how my price is far from ridiculous but reasonable. It's easy to agree with someone who sides with u. But one day you will agree with me, cars degrade your paint needs to be redone, old moters and tranny have no guarantee. Cars with low miles sometimes could be bad when you wanna go hard on them one day, I like to know a cars been around the block. If you want to sell this car after you had your fun with it you will see the money you'll have to throw at it to get 10k. Again I dont even know why you need to know the price of it if you plan on keeping it forever. Just try to sell it for fun right now, and see what people are offering. 1971 is a good year, the last good year if you ask me.

And if we lived in a world where a man's word was bond you would owe me 1,000 my friend.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Your smoking rocks bro, your the only one that's saying that.... if everyone was like yeah bobby your cars worth 3k I would chase quick pay you 1k but I wouldn't even say I would give you a stack if I though I was actually gonna pay it ? What kind of car you got ? What ever it is it's worth 3k you see how stupid that sounds? Unless you have a pos then maybe that's the case. But you telling me 3 k when a reputable source says 10k either yoursnokimg rocks or your a hater. If I do dump 10k to fixing it eventually I don't expect to get that money back and I signed up for this forum so I can get expert advice and feedback and so far everyone is being honest and some change their mind after they seen pictures but if you still truly believe this car is 3k god bless you hope you find
One for that price and it stays beautiful for you forever
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

While this give and take is amusing, it really is off the mark, because the '71 is from a different series, with a different chassis design, a very different appearance inside and out, and a different (low compression) motor, and the example in question is a modified car and not a low mileage original.

I would suggest a challenge, or a project, for someone who's got a spare hour or two (not me - my wife's giving me The Look as we speak):
Do a meaningful search of recent US sale prices (asking prices are meaningless), excluding the hyperinflated "BJ" auctions, for top-condition, all-original, under-75,000 mile, four-door luxury-trim full size cars, including not only Olds, but also Buick (Electra and LeSabre), Cadillac, Chrysler (New Yorker), Lincoln, and maybe even Mercury, from 1965 through 1970 (which is the year range for the particular "platform" of Bobby's car), and let's see what's out there.
Models outside of this group do not compare, though.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
How is it "ridiculous". How could you even say this when I even showed you an example, and fast too. Did you not see the ad I provided or did. Thats a living example of how my price is far from ridiculous but reasonable. It's easy to agree with someone who sides with u. But one day you will agree with me, cars degrade your paint needs to be redone, old moters and tranny have no guarantee. Cars with low miles sometimes could be bad when you wanna go hard on them one day, I like to know a cars been around the block. If you want to sell this car after you had your fun with it you will see the money you'll have to throw at it to get 10k. Again I dont even know why you need to know the price of it if you plan on keeping it forever. Just try to sell it for fun right now, and see what people are offering. 1971 is a good year, the last good year if you ask me.

And if we lived in a world where a man's word was bond you would owe me 1,000 my friend.
Ah, I'm going to jump in again.. Ronnie, you can not put his mint original 69 up against that non original 71. I look at the time for 69 98s for sale. trust me, you are never going to find an example like his car for 3500. Never.
Old April 15th, 2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Ah, I'm going to jump in again.. Ronnie, you can not put his mint original 69 up against that non original 71. I look at the time for 69 98s for sale. trust me, you are never going to find an example like his car for 3500. Never.
Sorry but the OP car is not mint. If I can see body and paint work needed that's just not mint. Never is a word that nobody can say.....

Can we stop acting like this is a 442 or a W car. Respecfully it's a nice car, but for "personal" reason any man will pay what ever price....

​Bobby. I'm so far from a hater or a crack head. But it's cool I'm not trying to start with you, YOU ASKED. I answered. And in the end I'll still pick that car for 3500.

Lets think mathematicaly, my assesment of 3k and your purchase price of 10k. Go figure out the buyer/seller market for your car (from posts before looks to be at 4.5k. Now with those numbers im off 1.5k and your off 5.5k.

I like your car for the 3rd time, welcome to site.
Old April 15th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MDchanic
No offense, Eric, as you know that I respect you and your opinion and advice, but that was a non-answer to the OP's question of " just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?"

Jaunty and I, though without great diplomacy, each suggested actual concrete answers to his question.

I agree that if one has the cash to spend, and one spends it and feels happy with one's purchase, then that is all that is needed, but there is an actual (though somewhat vague, because of a low number of data points) answer to his question, and if he didn't like it, then he should have asked it before he opened his wallet.

It's a beautiful car, I've had one much like it, and I've always got my eyes open for another.

- Eric
The reason why I posted what I did is that everyone is going to give dollar values from low to high based on who knows what website or personal justification. The bottom line in is the OP already bought it and is in love, its worth every penny he paid for it. Its the enjoyment value.
Old April 15th, 2017, 04:50 PM

I am happy with it was driving all day got offers police loved it got so many compliments already def gonna be a classic car guy for the rest of my life hopefully it's the first of many more to come, thank you all for all your time and opinions and feedback... feels good driving it feels like I went back in time when my grandpa drove me around in the middle of the front bench seat between him and my mom in his Lincoln continental a feeling I do not get in my Audi that's for sure my son just started walking and as he gets older and starts to understand and have memories he will remember I hope one day he can have that feeling as well. $3 k (still funny to me) or $8k that's all that maters.
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:11 PM

All this being said , you are still the only one that can value your car . What your car is worth to you is not the same as someone else, never will be . Drive it enjoy it and let your kids worry about what it might be worth .
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:59 PM

lol might be a lot faster then expected

Old April 15th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The bottom line in is the OP already bought it and is in love, its worth every penny he paid for it. Its the enjoyment value.
I do agree with you.

- Eric
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=RocketRonnie;1007672]Sorry but the OP car is not mint. If I can see body and paint work needed that's just not mint. Never is a word that nobody can say.....

Can we stop acting like this is a 442 or a W car. Respecfully it's a nice car, but for "personal" reason any man will pay what ever price....

​Bobby. I'm so far from a hater or a crack head. But it's cool I'm not trying to start with you, YOU ASKED. I answered. And in the end I'll still pick that car for 3500.

Lets think mathematicaly, my assesment of 3k and your purchase price of 10k. Go figure out the buyer/seller market for your car (from posts before looks to be at 4.5k. Now with those numbers im off 1.5k and your off 5.5k.

That is right Ronnie, this is not a W car or a 442.... It's better and as the owner of a 70 W30 442 Convertible, I can say this. 98s are it and just where do you see this car being in need of body work and paint? For a 1969 model car that has never been restored, I would say it looks outstanding. Bobby, if you ever want to sell it, contact me and believe me, my offer will not be only 3500....
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Herbie;1008158]
Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
That is right Ronnie, this is not a W car or a 442.... It's better and as the owner of a 70 W30 442 ...
Whatever Herbie you and Bobby could go ride off in the Sunset with your matching 4 doors. I'm done with you guys, it's like trying to tell the north North Korea president about world piece or a hair cut.. I really can't no more if you can't see what I see. This is a 69.. not a 59 or a 49. Not a two door but a 4. I swear some guys go nuts over the original gas cap, but I don't. You should learn a lesson and take a flight to the west coast where the market is more crowded and lets for better prices, CA, AZ, NM..

I dont appreciate all of Bobbys rude comments and assessment of me calling me a hater and a crackhead after he told me "it's cool I don't get mad easy).

NOR did I like you guys taking of me in other threads..

And What's it to Bobby what kind of car that I have? To compare it or judge my knowledge ??? Because a round hear that's how HATERS think. Comparing sand castles...

Bottom line is one day I woke up and saw a post where a man asked what we all thought his purchase was worth...
This just looks like bobby needed justification for his overpriced purchase (my opinion) and some people need that justification. But why. Just buy it and enjoy it and shut up.

W​​​​​​hen I 1st joined this forum my 1st post was not heart felt, I was told by some one my project was impossible, some people looked down on me because I wanted to take my olds and put an LS or non olds in it..
But you knon what I did?
​​​​​I took it like a man, I didn't call him names or offer some BS 1000$ treasure hunt.
And today me and the guys who originally told me this in my 1st post are real cool and I didn't fold, i still will do with my car what I want to. And when I'm done I'm not gonna start a thread to see if people like it or not. I Don't need justification.
​i would say I was 1,000 off my 3k original price. But that's it..

I'm done hear.
​​​Ronnie
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:46 AM

I went back through and read the posts. It's a bummer the thread went to name calling.

FWIW, the 71 98 Ronnie posted earlier is identical to mine (only it's in black and mine is Sandalwood).

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6070090978.html

I was surprised to see it on the local CL. There was a 71 98 2 door for sale recently in OKC that went for a bit cheaper than $10k as I recall.

FWIW, I bought my car for $1500 in 2009 and it was a 4. After years of work and WAY TOO MUCH money I can proudly say it's a 3. I have it insured for $12k through Hagerty (following their guide for a Cadillac DeVille), if I went to sell it I know I couldn't get that; heck, I probably couldn't get 10k either. But, I enjoy it and I hope I still own it when I keel over. Whenever that happens my daughters can fight over it.
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Your comparison you posted is for a 1971 in good condition guy probably won't get 10 for it and unfortunately I did say a few things I shouldn't of said but also I'm new to this especially oldsmobiles and I know for 100% my car is not worth $3k so I got a little offended. And I enjoy the crap out of my car as well and don't even care if I can get 6k or 12k for it cause I'm. It selling either instead hoping this will be the first of a few for me. Maybe it was a bad idea asking what it's worth I simply just wanted the opinion of people that know what they are talking about. And yes we should forget about all this bs move on and enjoy our cars, today I went to get an oil change just because and it was worth it. Got to see the car on a lift got it checked out and everything is perfect. So I'm happy �� �� ☀️
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Administrator

As I said these type of threads always range from very low to high opinions and they are just that, opinions. Don't take it personal, enjoy your car.
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Bobby, we should have mentioned: Don't get full synthetic motor oil in old, unrestored engines.

Full synthetic flows well. Too well. It will find spaces between gaskets that you didn't know existed and create leaks you never had.

Just a word of advice...

- Eric
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:26 PM

Thanks the mechanic also said it to use it and used regular oil, found a place by the house that works on classic cars so that's good. The guy even had a few nice cars in a garage he built on the shops property. He seemed very knowledgeable. If i do a front brake disc conversion and keep my original parts is that cool? Or leave them be. I think I asked that but don't feel like rereading the whole 2 posts I have.
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

We will all have different opinions regarding disk brake conversions.

In regular, low-stress driving, with no racing or towing and no long downhill mountain roads, drums will be fine, you will never notice a difference in operation, and switching to disks will be wasted money.

That being said, disks are more resistant to overheating, which you are only likely to encounter in the situations listed above.

Just remember what they used to tell everyone in driver's ed, but probably don't anymore:
If you drive through a deep puddle, gantly touch the brakes as soon as you are through it, in order to displace the water and dry the brakes, or their operation may be unpredictable if you need to stop within the next mile or so.

- Eric
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:38 PM

Well, I guess it ok for me to chime in

IMHO, It's a beauty ;and I don't give a rats a$$ what you paid for it

I wouldn't change a thing, It's only original once I'd keep it that way
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Ok not changing brakes lol thanks! By the way what does IMHO mean?
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:47 PM

IMHO=In my humble opinion
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion.

Sort of like "With all due respect."

- Eric

edit: Beat me to it, James.
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Got it
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:49 PM

He was being nice lol
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:02 PM

Some where hidden too deeply for me to search for is an Old tread I started about Growing up in the 60's when no one ever wanted any factory options. No one would ever have ordered a tic toc tach, [everyone wanted a big Sun tach taped and wired to the steering column] and SW gauges hanging below the dash. SS II and III were junked for mag wheels etc etc

My long awaited point is..................... many of the "restored" cars add a plethora of options that weren't so popular in their day. A truly unmolested "original" car is what is really rare.
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:16 PM

I was born in 83 so I missed all the good decades to grow up in 60's 70's and 80's I think the 90's were the start of the crappy decades. Now a days forget about it my step son is 11 going on 12 sits home all day on tablet or PlayStation iPhone whatever when I was his ages I rode my bike all day and night causing mischief. Nothing is gonna be the same ever again like I mentioned before these cars remind me of driving around with my grandpa big front bench seats big engines floating in a boat. Just that smell of the engine running brings me back .
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:20 PM

I was born in 83 so I missed all the good decades to grow up in 60's 70's and 80's I think the 90's were the start of the crappy decades. Now a days forget about it my step son is 11 going on 12 sits home all day on tablet or PlayStation iPhone whatever when I was his ages I rode my bike all day and night causing mischief. Nothing is gonna be the same ever again like I mentioned before these cars remind me of driving around with my grandpa big front bench seats big engines floating in a boat. Just that smell of the engine running brings me back .
It's more of the back seat of my mom's at the drive in that's nostalgic to me

Sorry you missed those days
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:22 PM

��
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Get your mind out of the gutter. We kids rode in the backseat of moms car, cept in my case mom didn't drive.
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
... many of the "restored" cars add a plethora of options that weren't so popular in their day. A truly unmolested "original" car is what is really rare.
Exactly. And, as you said earlier, "It's only original once."

... And I was lucky enough to have my own car with its own back seat.

But not lucky (or smart) enough to always be able to find a quiet spot that her father couldn't also find.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
. And I was lucky enough to have my own car with its own back seat.

- Eric
Me too Eric, Only an Austin Healey 3000 has a few limitations [besides the ^%(&^(*(** Lucas electric system]
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Had gf who owned a Carmen Gia...
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Past Administrator

Nice car, I would go for a ride in it if you offered.
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:31 AM

IMHO, It's a beauty ;and I don't give a rats a$$ what you paid for it
x2

Sorry I brought up the 71. I guess I was surprised to see it since I drive an identical 71 and it's not too far from me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your car Bobby. Keep it on the street and make sure you teach your little one how awesome these pieces of history are.

Last edited by Olds64; April 18th, 2017 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Oops...
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Had gf who owned a Carmen Gia...

She sure spelled it funny
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:10 AM

Sure will he already loves the car, every time were outside he points at it and screams to get in and play in it.
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:18 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

A truly unmolested "original" car is what is really rare.
Getting to the party a little late, and total agreement on the above statement. Whatever you paid for your car is what you paid for it. Justify it up, justify it down - it's a circular argument. FWIW, this is a hobby for 99% on this site. When you and your car part company, it is highly likely that you'll have invested more in the car than it is worth but you will have emotionally, spiritually, physically and conceptually enjoyed the hound out of it and just maybe that will offset whatever you paid.

Keep it original to what the Olds Division had in mind in 1969. It will still turn heads and if you take it to the local show or cruise-in, you might come home with survivor hardware for the shelf. You'll provide an experience to your kids/grands that most never will see as the youth idea of an "old car" is a 2000 Honda minivan.

I paid $8800 for my ride in 2015, original and unmolested with 29700 miles. I've driven this 88 more in the last two years than I drove my antique Corvette Stingray in the last decade. No regrets. And the wife loves it. And that - is that.

Last edited by btw; April 20th, 2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:53 AM
delete

I was born in 83 .

You are certainly a young man for such a ride. That's pretty cool.
I'll offer my $.02 on this. Your car will def bring some nice coin from the right buyer. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, and that is alright. While it's true the big sedans don't bring the same $$ as the higher performance models, your car occupies a sweet spot in the market right now. The largely original, untouched survivor. If you watch the auctions or the shows that is what is hot right now, so it's hard to pin a value on it.
Use it & enjoy it knowing you got a nice ride, and understand there are things people value more than other people. Some people like restores, some like original.
When I bought my car I put a premium on working AC (happy wide happy life) where a lot of people couldn't care less.
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Thank you sir appreciate that.. solid opinion, that's why I'm having a council on the floor built so I don't drill into dash or mess with original audio things in there .

Quick Reply: just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?