The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Considering '56 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2016, 11:22 AM

Considering '56 Super 88

We are looking at a '56 Super 88, but it is missing a few things: valve covers, carburetor and power steering pump cap. Are any of these items hard to find? Trim is all there and the body looks okay, but it will need floor pans and interior.

We would appreciate any guidance any of you might offer. Thanks.
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Welcome aboard. Those Items,valve covers, carburetor and power steering pump lid can be found on Ebay quite often but don't limit your search to Oldsmobile or just 56.Valve covers will fit from 54 to 56 (acturally earlier will also fit but are lettered differently) and the 4gc carburetors can be sourced from Buick as well as Oldsmobile for a number of years before and after 56..... Tedd
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Thanks. I was a bit surprised not to find any offered when I looked, but it's only been a day or 2. The other issue is my project partner (younger son) is not enamored with the original color of this particular car (Citation Bronze with Shantung Beige) and I am pretty set on taking it back to original specs. Other than that it meets our needs, so this car may be the one.
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Frank Ignachuck

There are a lot of good things to be said about 56 Super 88's, and a lot of parts out there. Give us some more information about the car, and show us some pictures. We'll be happy to help you out.
Old September 27th, 2016, 06:25 PM

Color of a car is a subjective and personal thing. Putting a car back to what the cowl tag reads is commendable but certainly not written in stone. My car originally was a puke green off white single color car, it wasn't going back to that color ever. If you like your cars color by all means keep it original, if not change it to something else Oldsmobile offered ( first choice) or something else you or your son likes. If you choose wisely the value of your car will rise according and if kept a stock Oldsmobile color even though not born with that color you won't even lose points at a National show.... Just my thoughts.... Tedd

PS. We do like pictures.

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 27th, 2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:34 PM

I will post pictures if we buy the car. At this point I only have those on craigslist and a few additional photos sent to me via text. As for the color, I am not strictly opposed to changing from the original, but still prefer to stick with the way it left the line.
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Update:

After looking around a bit more, but finding no more attractive options, we are off to look at this car in person this week. If it is in the condition we predict, this is probably the one. I will post some photos once we have it home and cleaned up a bit.
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Good luck. We'd love to have another mid fifties in our group!!
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:16 PM

The original Carburetor would have been a Rochester 4gc as someone in an earlier thread has said. If you will search EBay for Rochester 4gc Carburetor, there are multiple ones listed.Most of them are used and are sold recommending a rebuild.Kits for these are easily located. Best of luck with your purchase,and you are very lucky to find the year and body style you were desiring,especially with air conditioner and a nice interior. Larry
Old November 8th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Good luck
Old November 9th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a carb if you get the car. Good luck.
Old November 11th, 2016, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have a carb if you get the car. Good luck.
Thanks! We are headed over there tomorrow (about a 2 hour tow). I will let you all know if we get the car.
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:09 PM

Okay, we did buy the car. It's rough, but was not expensive, and is pretty complete. It is a Doraville built car, which is interesting to us, and also appears to have been sold by Mitchell Motors here in Atlanta. I drove past the Doraville plant at least a million times over the years, and vaguely recall the downtown Atlanta Mitchell location. It also once belonged to someone working at the Redstone Arsenal, so it was a Rocket powered Olds at a rocket base.

Several of you have already offered to help, and we really appreciate that. We'll certainly need more before this is over.
Old January 29th, 2017, 12:42 PM

'56 Oldsmobile Super 88

A bit late, but here she is on the way home. We have been tearing the car down and collecting known missing items for the last few months. Several posters here have been helpful with parts and I thank you for that.

Yesterday we discovered that the block is scrap iron thanks to a broken piston that resulted in the #3 rod through the bore. We will likely try to find another '56 block and build it, but are considering alternatives at the moment.

I will be posting in the Parts Wanted section for that.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:09 PM

If it were me I'd be looking for a 371 Olds 1957- 1958 to slide in there. First generation motor so it will bolt up to a Jetaway transmission, Gets you about 300 HP without doing much of anything,and looks as stock as a 324 but goes like scat.

I would check out that rusted area between the back side window and back rear window. This could be a major problem if the rot has taken over and not a easy fix, It may not be as bad as it looks but something you should check before you drop a bunch of cash in that car then find out the rear window frame is dissolving from the inside. JMHO..... Good luck and keep us updated.....Tedd
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If it were me I'd be looking for a 371 Olds 1957- 1958 to slide in there. First generation motor so it will bolt up to a Jetaway transmission, Gets you about 300 HP without doing much of anything,and looks as stock as a 324 but goes like scat.

I would check out that rusted area between the back side window and back rear window. This could be a major problem if the rot has taken over and not a easy fix, It may not be as bad as it looks but something you should check before you drop a bunch of cash in that car then find out the rear window frame is dissolving from the inside. JMHO..... Good luck and keep us updated.....Tedd
Thanks! A 371 is a possibility depending on what we find. At the least, we will probably punch out the 324. That C pillar rust looks worse in that picture than it is in reality. The car does have some rust of course, but we should be able to rework what we have found so far.
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:52 AM

That's a very cool car!

It's interesting that a previous owner worked at Redstone Arsenal. Does it have a base sticker on it? I served there when I was in the Army. The Saturn V rocket is huge!
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's a very cool car!

It's interesting that a previous owner worked at Redstone Arsenal. Does it have a base sticker on it? I served there when I was in the Army. The Saturn V rocket is huge!
Redstone stickers on front and rear bumpers. Both say "CCL48." I have no idea when that may have been. I'll get a picture uploaded.

Last edited by TRWham; February 1st, 2017 at 06:04 AM.