The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Oldsmobile

Old August 22nd, 2016, 01:07 PM

New to Oldsmobile

Hello all, My name is ryan. I am currently working on a 1949 Olds Series 76. This car hasn't been on the road in nearly 15 years. We are currently in the process of replacing suspension bushings and have ran into a problem. Does anyone know how to replace the drivers side track bar bushing? I am at a loss as how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 01:12 PM

Cannot be of help but did want to welcome you the both CO and the Oldsmobile family!

Am sure someone will step in and answer.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pics of your car when you gat a chance. Which stage, removal or install? Are you replacing with a 1 piece or 2
http://www.steelerubber.com/track-ba...ing-25-0080-32
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM

Welcome to CO. I can't help ether but if you drop down to the vintage forum and add a post there I'm sure someone will help. That is where all the fat fender and early V8 guys hang out..... Lost in the fifties ....Tedd
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:08 PM

It's the original track bar. I currently have it removed from the car. I'm looking for help on how to tear down the drivers side to remove the old dried out rubber bushing and replace with new.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:12 AM

Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:55 AM

1949 Oldsmobile Track Bar

Hello all, I have run into a snag while replacing rubber bushings in the suspension parts of a Series 76. I have removed the track bar from the car and for the life of me I can't figure out how to take apart the drivers side bushing set up. Does anyone have any information on track bar refurbishment?
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Oldsdruid

Julian Hilton in Concord NC had a 42 that I think he did this job on. I remember him commenting it was "different" in typical understated Julian style. PM me and I'll give u his contact info.
Old August 25th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Burn it out

Originally Posted by memorylaneC
It's the original track bar. I currently have it removed from the car. I'm looking for help on how to tear down the drivers side to remove the old dried out rubber bushing and replace with new.
__________________________________________________ _

I've replaced rubber bushings of that type and was taught by a mechanic to either saw off one flanged end if a hacksaw can get to it or lacking that to take a torch and just burn the rubber bushing until it is so soft it can be driven out. Yes its messy and creates obnoxious black smoke but it works. Have your water hose or extinguisher standing by.

When replacing use the two piece kit that (other) Eric provided the link for. Steele Rubber is kind of expensive but their quality is better than other suppliers in my experience.
Jerry
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I'm replacing with a one piece rubber set up from Fusick. My issue is with removing the drivers side bushing and mounting stud. I'm not sure how the mounting stud separates from the track bar. It looks as if it is pressed in place. If so, do you know if its replacable?
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Just thougth I'd let you all know, I solved the track bar mystery. If anyone is interested in how to replace the track bar bushings on a 49 olds and like models, just let me know!
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Thanks for all the input! I couldn't find anyone that has replaced these bushings before, so i just took a chance and started grinding. My guess was correct on how these were assembled in the line, so I was able to get it apart, replace the bushing on the drivers side of the track bar and with a little patience and welding it went back together as good as new!
Old August 26th, 2016, 02:06 PM

Provide some details please. Many on here will search the threads in the future and a description of how its done would be helpful...along with photos if you took any.
Congratulations on taking the bull by the horns and doing the fix.
Jerry
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:58 PM

Welcome to Classic Olds and glad you got the job done.Sometimes on these older model cars you just have to improvise,and sounds like you accomplished that. Larry