The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Tic toc tac Rally Pack installation 72 clone

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2016, 08:52 PM

Tic toc tac Rally Pack installation 72 clone

On the tac wiring I am to change the wiring order per directions to match the tach by removing the pins in the connector....does the tach have the color codes on it or is there a left and right side of the connector? Anything I should be aware of while performing this task will be appreciated.
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:56 AM
"Trying to fix her right"

For the tac itself, you just need to install the shielded fused wire to the negative side of the coil. Then connect the orange wire for the clock, (constant power) and the grey wire for the lights. There are no pins or plugs to switch around unless your installing the gauge pod.
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Your right, I am asking about the gauge pod.
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by J Morel
Your right, I am asking about the gauge pod.
Then your original post is confusing then. Anyway, yes, you have to change the wires around. They should be in the instructions. Otherwise, here's a pic of how the wires should go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (72.4 KB, 142 views)
Old June 11th, 2016, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the diagram dfire25! A pic is worth a thousand words! You are really good at this....may I ask another question....what is the extra short wire (on the interior end of the braided tach wire with the in/line fuse), perhaps a ground?
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:02 AM

what is the extra short wire (on the interior end of the braided tach wire with the in/line fuse), perhaps a ground?

Yes, it is a ground wire.
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the diagram dfire25! A pic is worth a thousand words! You are really good at this....may I ask another question....what is the extra short wire (on the interior end of the braided tach wire with the in/line fuse), perhaps a ground?
Thanks J Morel! But 90% of my knowledge comes from the people on this forum. The other 10% is going out there and doing it myself.
Old June 12th, 2016, 08:05 AM

Thanks indeed to you and the forum! I re-routed the wiring on the gauge pod yesterday per valuable diagram. I re adjusted the barb on each wire before re-enserting the wire into the connector to ensure proper hold. Now, I need to know where all this wiring is routed thru the firewall??
Old June 12th, 2016, 08:23 AM

Now, I need to know where all this wiring is routed thru the firewall??
The only wire you should have to run thru the firewall is the tac wire to the coil. The other wires for the temp and oil pressure gauges are ran thru the factory wire loom. When you install the temp and oil sensors into the engine, the wires should be by the old idiot light sensors. I memory serves me, I think it's a green wire for temp, and blue wire for oil. But I might have that backwards.
Old June 12th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Once again, thank you. I assume the coil wire location is the same bushing hole in the firewall the speedometer cable uses?
Old June 12th, 2016, 06:17 PM

Once again, thank you. I assume the coil wire location is the same bushing hole in the firewall the speedometer cable uses?
Nope, there should be a square hole with a plastic plug right around where the throttle cable goes thru.

Actually I just found this thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...eded-asap.html

Last edited by dfire25; June 12th, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old June 24th, 2016, 05:35 PM

One last wire to deal with on the rally pack installation. According to #6. per instructions, I need to cut or disarm a green wire under the dash column ribbon. I will atach their written instructions with bad pic. Will also take a pic of my own area they are describing. Hopefully someone will describe what green wire I need to cut in a better pic or description. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone see a cut green wire in this photo?<br/><br/>

This is my pic of the same <br/>area.
Old September 28th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Joe Ralph

Originally Posted by dfire25
For the tac itself, you just need to install the shielded fused wire to the negative side of the coil. Then connect the orange wire for the clock, (constant power) and the grey wire for the lights. There are no pins or plugs to switch around unless your installing the gauge pod.
dfire25 - the grey wire that comes out of the illumination feed on the back of the tach connects to what exactly? (72 convertible) I am having a heck of a time with that - I have the service and body manual - but all I can tell is “grey wire” any help would be appreciated - thanks ~ Joe (update - I found it - it’s the grey plug from the wiring harness)

Last edited by 72442455; September 29th, 2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Update
Old September 29th, 2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 72442455
dfire25 - the grey wire that comes out of the illumination feed on the back of the tach connects to what exactly? (72 convertible) I am having a heck of a time with that - I have the service and body manual - but all I can tell is “grey wire” any help would be appreciated - thanks ~ Joe (update - I found it - it’s the grey plug from the wiring harness)
Yep, that's it.
Old October 5th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Joe Ralph

Thanks!
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:42 AM

I installed an aftermarket tach & gauge set in a customers car a few months ago & it said to cut the green wire under the column. Right after that, the right rear lights were inop. Turns out the green wire is for those lights. We reconnected the wire & everything works like it should, so I'm not sure why those instructions are not there but you may not want to cut that wire.

Also, I think you were asking about tach wire routing? The braided wire should exit the interior of the car to the right of the master cylinder as you're looking at the engine. There is a rubber grommet with 3? indentations/holes in it. Then it should be routed above & behind the booster & over to the coil.
Old March 19th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Hi, I am a littlebit confused about this. My 70 Cutlass supreme had the "Idiot light" fuel gauge, but the wiring is exactly like it is shown to be in the Figure shown as "Gauge Wiring", which is strange, or what? Have bought rally pack to install. Brgds Morten
Old September 15th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
I have a 72, with the tic tac tic guages (no idiot lights). My Tac is not working, any suggestions on what I should look at first? I'm not that mechanically inclined so go easy, lol.
Thanks in advance.
Old September 15th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Have you tested the ground, and also the inline fuse?