The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1961 Dynamic 88 Holiday Coupe

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2016, 07:59 AM

1961 Dynamic 88 Holiday Coupe

Hello everyone! Excited to find this forum and I see there are some other guys on here with 61 Oldsmobiles so I'm hoping to get some good tech and tips. I just had my car delivered yesterday, 1961 Olds Dynamic 88 "bubbletop" in factory black with red interior. Paint looks fresh, not too bad and it is rust free. Originally from California according to the previous owner.
The paint job and body work look really good for a fifty five year old black car and all the stainless trim is very nice with no dings. The chrome will need to be stripped and replated on the bumpers and the interior isn't too bad but the seats have been recovered in a generic maroon vinyl so I want to either have them reupholstered as original or go with a Starfire inspired bucket seat interior. Currently the car has Olds pie pan hub caps on black steelies with red line tires, I plan on some large diameter rims (I want to do bolt on upgrades mainly, but I do weld and fabricate so something like an air ride system isn't out of the question), maybe upgrading to disc brakes and some suspension mods. I'd like to add dual exhaust though I'm finding that may be problematic. I'm not really interested in any "performance mods" to the engine I want it stock and reliable (odo shows 68334). I'm also interested in adding some air conditioning possibly.

My previous ride was a 1969 GTO that I did a frame off restoration on. I deviated from stock with the powerplant though utilizing a BB Chevy and a 671 blower running through a Tremec 5 speed. I'm also a former moderator on the Pontiac GTO forum. Really looking forward to talking with other 61 owners and Olds nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150423_130748.jpg (2.89 MB, 44 views)
20150423_130923.jpg (3.11 MB, 41 views)
olds 88 1.jpg (268.7 KB, 62 views)
olds 88 2.jpg (243.0 KB, 60 views)
olds 88 3.jpg (191.6 KB, 47 views)
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Thumbs up

I absolutely LOVE this car!!! Steelies and pie plates look GREAT!! Congrats on a great score on this car
Old April 30th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile.
SMS auto fabics offers original upholstery fabric and vinyls;
https://www.facebook.com/SMSAutoFabrics/
X2 on the steelies and pie plates.
Before you decide to "upgrade" the suspension, drive it a while . You may be surprised at how well it rides and handles in stock condition. That is, provided the control arm bushings and other steering and suspension parts are in good condition.
Dual exhaust is easy on a '61 The manifolds are the same for single or duals so it is a simple matter of having a muffler shop with a pipe bender make the left side pipes for you. The attached diagram will show you how it was done. The resonators are not really necessary, unless you want a really "whisper quiet" ride.
Come and join the "darksiders" on this thread;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ers-unite.html
Attached Images
Group 3.000 Illus 17.jpg (312.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Charlie Jones; April 30th, 2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, awesome bubble top. Sweet Poncho also.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:00 AM

Welcome aboard, great looking 61. Listen to Charlie, get used to the car before you start cutting it up. Big Oldsmobiles are pretty awesome as they came from the factory.
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:59 AM

Yeah, after driving it around yesterday I was pleasantly surprised how great it drove. I think I'd like to do a bigger sway bar in front but I'm going to concentrate on the interior and leave the big wheels on the back burner for now. So, probably dual exhaust (thanks for the help there Charlie), interior and getting the bumpers chromed this winter.
Old May 1st, 2016, 03:13 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 61Bat
I think I'd like to do a bigger sway bar in front
98 models and also station wagons in '61 had a larger front sway bar. It's a "bolt-in"swap.
Also Fab Craft offers a rear sway bar for Pontiacs, but it can be made to fit an Olds as evidenced by this post by Nav Vet see post #455;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nkyard-12.html

You may also want to read the whole thread, pretty interesting .
Old May 2nd, 2016, 09:22 AM

Not sure how similar a 61 is to a 63 but check out DutchInjun's suspension mods. He also did a lot of "Stealth" mods that are interesting:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-starfire.html
Old May 2nd, 2016, 03:24 PM

Thank you guys! So glad I joined up here what a wealth of info. To be honest I have been looking at a bunch of different cars to see what would meet our "classic cruising" needs and when this car turned up I couldn't pass it up it just looked so cool. I'm thinking the path I'm taking is enhance the handling and braking with sway bars and front disc for now and work on cherrying out the interior. I love the fold down back seat Dutchinjun did also. What a great site!
Old May 2nd, 2016, 04:33 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Man I am glad you are leaving those big wheels on the back burner. I love this car.
Old November 4th, 2017, 06:16 PM

61 88 front disc brakes

Hi 61bat,
Just saw your post from last year , GREAT ride you got. 61 88 bubblecoupes are badass cars. I'm in the process of building a pro cruizer 61 .
I noticed you might be interested in putting disc brakes on yours.
I had put a retro fit set up from scarebird on mine , never put it to use cause i decided to put a IFS mustang rack & pinion set up on it ,that uses wilwood calipers & discs with airbags, so I wont be needing the Scarebird setup.
If your interested let me know its a first class setup
Don