The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

79 chevy c10 with 69 olds 350 !

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:38 AM

I'd like to add headers but I think I'd have to go custom,also I'd like to know what problems or common issues you guys ran into .thanks a lot !
Old March 1st, 2016, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Beenz
I'd like to add headers but I think I'd have to go custom,also I'd like to know what problems or common issues you guys ran into .thanks a lot !
Welcome. This was actually a relatively common swap for the GM trucks with the Olds 350 diesel motor. The 350 Olds gas engine (and most Olds engines, actually) are a bolt-in replacement for the diesel. Headers will be custom.
Old March 1st, 2016, 01:34 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I actually welded B body frame/motor mounts on my 78 C10 2wd truck. With those mounts, 68-72 SBO A body Flowtech headers fit not bad. One tube very close but didn't touch the frame and tubes just barely touched the A arm bolts. Either the Sanderson or Hedman's shorty headers will fit with plenty of room on a 2wd truck. Both shorties have thicker flanges, 3/8" on Sanderson.I had to use double gaskets to seak and had to cut the cross member with the Flowtech full length headers. Get custom exhaust and use the shorties, there is a lot of room there.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; March 1st, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 1st, 2016, 02:03 PM

i had a 455 in a 79 c10 and used headers for a 76 cutlass w/455 and they fit perfectly,i believe headers for a 76 cutlass with a 350 should fit your truck.i cant think of a reason why they wouldn't.i still have those headers but i believe they would hit the starter on a small block.
Old March 1st, 2016, 03:14 PM

suggestion

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...into-what.html

Scroll down in that thread to post #15 to see my 455 T400 install with headers in my 1980 GMC.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:00 AM

Thanks for info

Thanks for the replies!! Got a dumb question also ..where the hell is the thermostat housing on this 68 SBO ?? I can't find it for the life of me and can't find anything on Internet either .
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:32 AM

Stock diesel exhaust manifold

Does the stock diesel manifold turn down to the flange ? I think I read that some where . The ones on mine do .just wondering if flange gaskets are different?
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:36 AM

Found it ....duh

Nm about the housing hahaha glad it wasn't a snake !
Old October 31st, 2016, 11:32 PM

looking for some insight,tips,secrets ect .on this swap ..thank you all .
Old November 1st, 2016, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Which part of the swap are you looking for?
Old November 1st, 2016, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm assuming the Olds gas engine replaced a defunct Olds diesel. Ask specific questions. We don't know what information you are looking for, exactly.
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm assuming the Olds gas engine replaced a defunct Olds diesel. Ask specific questions. We don't know what information you are looking for, exactly.
yes you are correct ,ok ive replaces
d chevy dipstick tube but the olds is tough getting it to seat over the two flanges is driving me crazy ..wasting tons of time with this ..ugh
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
so first is the dam oil dipstick tube ! haha its a nightmare getting it installed
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:49 PM

oil dipstick tube

had the worst time with replacing the oil dipstick tube on the 69 350 rocket stock exhaust mani . so i ordered 3 different tubes from 3 different companies and none of them fit right so the one i could get to fit ,but it was a loose fit i just used oil resistant high temp rtv on it ,letting it cure over night .we will see how well it holds up ...
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:14 PM

what a great cutlass!!
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:22 PM

where im at

well im having an issue with the stock fuel pump to edelbrock carb now. got the dipstick in have the intake manifold and carb in just dont want to spend 50 bucks on the kit if i dont have too .im getting a new fuel pump soon but for now im going to roll with the stock pump ,also my temp sending unit is difficult to find the right one its a L shaped two prong sending unit ??
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:37 PM

Got a picture of the sending unit?
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:39 PM

nice

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i had a 455 in a 79 c10 and used headers for a 76 cutlass w/455 and they fit perfectly,i believe headers for a 76 cutlass with a 350 should fit your truck.i cant think of a reason why they wouldn't.i still have those headers but i believe they would hit the starter on a small block.
ive been checking this out might just save the day ,thanks
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:41 PM

ill take one

Originally Posted by svnt442
Got a picture of the sending unit?
ill take one tomorrow and post it ,thanks
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:09 PM

fuel pump issue fixed ..now vacuum

I just switched from a Rochester 2bbl manual choke and cast manifold to an edelbrock performer 1406 carb electric choke and the edelbrock 2711 intake , the motor is non EGR ,the distributor is accel performance replacement and accel super stock coil , the trans is an automatic th 400 . I feel good about the install of intake and carb all has been torqued fuel line is good electric choke is wired well , now need to know what to do with vacuum.. here is a pic of the motor as I bought it there were two vacuum hoses connected the sto manifold one in front one in back ,where do those come in to play now ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stock 350 olds.jpg (991.7 KB, 19 views)
20161112_092041.jpg (3.66 MB, 19 views)
Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:03 PM

ignition

Ok,edelbrock 2711 intake installed ,1406 carb ,all vacuum hoses and fuel hoses tight and connected . gas in the tank fuel in the filter electric choke hooked up to ign slot on fuse box ,electric choke set, mixture screws set out two turns throttle cable hooked up. Battery is good, starter good wont fire over . it has an accel timed vacuum distributor accel, super stock coil , 8mm wires ,new plugs .I'm going to run some tests in a couple day like spark plug test light ,voltometer ect. but was wondering where to start looking first here is a pic of it stock and a couple pics now
Attached Images
stock 350 olds.jpg (991.7 KB, 13 views)
20161123_102914.jpg (4.20 MB, 17 views)
20161123_102905.jpg (4.45 MB, 14 views)
Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Engines need air, fuel and a well timed spark. Make sure there is power to the coil + terminal, look down into the carb and work the throttle and see if there is fuel. If you removed the distributor, make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 when the number 1 cylinder is on the compression stroke.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:34 PM

w

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Engines need air, fuel and a well timed spark. Make sure there is power to the coil + terminal, look down into the carb and work the throttle and see if there is fuel. If you removed the distributor, make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 when the number 1 cylinder is on the compression stroke.
didnt remove dist. carb is getting gas.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:13 PM

hmm

just looking at the stock set up .. since the distributor is vacuumed to the intake should I not have it now connected to the timed vacuum port on new carb? would that cause it not to fire over ? if that is the case where do I find two non timed vacuum ports ? do I need to get an adapter for the intake like on the stock intake ?? hmm
Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:17 PM

hmm

just looking at the stock set up .. since the distributor is vacuumed to the intake should I not have it now connected to the timed vacuum port on new carb? would that cause it not to fire over ? if that is the case where do I find two non timed vacuum ports ? do I need to get an adapter for the intake like on the stock intake ?? hmm
Old November 23rd, 2016, 11:27 PM

No, no. That wouldn't keep it from firing.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
No, no. That wouldn't keep it from firing.
can u see any thing on my set up that seems out place ? like vacuums, fuel line route ect ?
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Ok, the carb is getting gas. Have you checked for spark?
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:14 AM

didnt yet

Ok, the carb is getting gas. Have you checked for spark?
havent had a chance to check spark yet . it would fire over before didnt run well because of the old gunked up carb but it would run
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:54 PM

no spark

checked with a spark plug light and none are getting spark , it ran before the swap ? I broke my multi meter but will get a new one in the AM ,when I do what should I check in order ??
Old November 26th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Do you have power at your coil + terminal with the key in both the start and run position?
Old November 26th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Do you have power at your coil + terminal with the key in both the start and run position?
just got my voltmeter wire ,im going out to check the power to coil,so just need to make sure im getting power to the positive post ? what if im not where do i check next ? what if i do would it be the plug wires
Old November 26th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Administrator

just got my voltmeter wire ,im going out to check the power to coil,so just need to make sure im getting power to the positive post ?

Yes

what if im not where do i check next ?

Are you still running points?

what if i do would it be the plug wires

It won't be the wires to the plugs, but may be the coil wire to the center post of the coil to distributor.
Before jumping to conclusions lets troubleshoot.
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM

Before jumping to conclusions lets troubleshoot.
ok so looking more into it now gas is not getting to carb but the inline fuel filter is full of gas but no squirt of gas shoots in the carb when i pull the throttle ....the new coil i had put in tested at 9.90 so its bad put the old one back on that tested good . how do i go about trouble shooting this gas issue ?
Old November 27th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Administrator

If you look down into the carb with the engine off and operate the throttle, do you see fuel spraying in there? Are you getting spark now?
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:18 PM

yes spark

If you look down into the carb with the engine off and operate the throttle, do you see fuel spraying in there? Are you getting spark now?
yea now i get spark but not fuel squirt in carb
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and point it towards a container while someone cranks the engine, see if it pumps fuel. If so then I'd look into the carb. Take the top off and see if there is fuel in the bowl. Could also possibly be the accelerator pump.
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:54 PM

cam

If you are using a points cap then wire it like a points distributor.
so when i got the truck it was a hot mess ,the fireing order was not 18436572 at all but it ran, not well but the carb was shot to hell so i replaced it and coil,wires, cap, rotor, plugs, intake ??? so now i do the correct order and it is wrong no spark?? spitting gas mist and occasional fire ball ,how can it fire with no spark ? so my question is if they put a different cam could my fire order be different? and if so how do i re find that order ??
Old November 30th, 2016, 10:14 PM

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and point it towards a container while someone cranks the engine, see if it pumps fuel. If so then I'd look into the carb. Take the top off and see if there is fuel in the bowl. Could also possibly be the accelerator pump.
jeez,haha so now plenty of fuel ,no spark ,well at least not lighting up my
tester.. . so i noticed the fire order was wrong so i changed it i had a pic of it as it was but that was lost when my phone broke .so now its way off ,wondering if a new cam was put in and changed the fire order ?
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:26 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

jeez,haha so now plenty of fuel ,no spark ,well at least not lighting up my
tester.. . so i noticed the fire order was wrong so i changed it i had a pic of it as it was but that was lost when my phone broke .so now its way off ,wondering if a new cam was put in and changed the fire order ?
No. Make sure your firing order is counter clockwise and number 1 is in the right spot. Make sure your point gap is right and not burned or is this the Accel electronic distributor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 79 chevy c10 with 69 olds 350 !