The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

where to put my jack stands and where to jack up my 64 f 85?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2016, 05:20 PM

where to put my jack stands and where to jack up my 64 f 85?

Sorry for the ridiculous question guys,my dad is out of town and I don't have anywhere else to go.I just got a 1964 f85 and need to know where I can safely jack the car up and where to place my jack stands. I only have two jack stands.Thank you again and Im sorry for the rookie question I just don't want to mess anything up or kill myself!!!!!!
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:32 PM

No stupid..I'm not familiar with your car.....but my 64 olds 88 is very very specific as to placement of jacks due to its unique frame.
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:34 PM

I do have a manual that shows placement for your car..it's out in trunk...I'll look it up now...get back soon
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:48 PM

The manual "When supporting car on a floor Jack or floor stands, the car should be supported at the suspension points only. Under no conditions should the car be supported at the extreme ends of frame or at the center of a frame side rail" .....hope that helps
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1964-1988 GM mid-size cars all have a similar frame design. There are several acceptable jacking points, as detailed in the factory Chassis Service Manual. You can place a floor jack under the center of the crossmember that runs under the engine and under the center section of the rear axle to jack the car up. Once in the air, stands need to go either under the suspension (below the springs on the front and under the axle tube on the rear) or under the reinforced sections of the frame. The latter are more stable, so unless you need to have the springs compressed (such as when changing rear shocks) I'd recommend putting the stands under the frame.

Look at the side frame rails under the front and back ends of the rockers. You'll see that there are sections at each end that are fully boxed and reinforced. This is where you put the stands. The middle part of each rail is an open section and not nearly as strong or stiff as the boxed corners. Avoid those areas.

This diagram gives you a rough idea:

Old February 18th, 2016, 05:44 AM
344879M363895

So in my situation, where I have to do the gas tank reinstall, tailpipes, and possibly the control arm bushings I'm thinking the following points would be correct? These 6 tons stands I bought have a much wider base so if I can get that out of the way that would be great. Also, if I do have to take that transmission out this might work out the best too.

Old February 18th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
So in my situation, where I have to do the gas tank reinstall, tailpipes, and possibly the control arm bushings I'm thinking the following points would be correct? These 6 tons stands I bought have a much wider base so if I can get that out of the way that would be great. Also, if I do have to take that transmission out this might work out the best too.

This will work, but I'd put the front stands behind the wheels, not in front. The main reason is that the bottoms of the front frame horns aren't that flat, plus the front sway bar mounts are in the way. Yeah, having the stands behind the wheels puts them in the way when working on the trans, and I don't know how many dents I have in my head from that (), but I feel better with them there.

And yes, you DID hijack the OP's very FIRST thread on ClassicOlds...
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:53 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And yes, you DID hijack the OP's very FIRST thread on ClassicOlds...
Thank you, thank you. Bow...applause!
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:55 AM
344879M363895

And also a big welcome to Foster Sherman. Might as well go for the double post while I'm at it.
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I'll add that we do like pictures of members cars.
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Wow. Thank you everyone for the great feedback!!!! This is an awesome community and can't wait for more discussion. Thank you again!! Ill try and post some pictures once I've got these knew wheels on!! Thank you again so much>.
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;896680] I don't know how many dents I have in my head from that (), but I feel better with them there.

Lord tunderin' geez its not funny, nooo it isn't easy pushing those dents out either haha, I just laughed myself off me chair Joe !!
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
Lord tunderin' geez its not funny, nooo it isn't easy pushing those dents out either haha,
Sure it is. Just hold your nose and blow!
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Foster Sherman
Sorry for the ridiculous question guys,my dad is out of town and I don't have anywhere else to go.I just got a 1964 f85 and need to know where I can safely jack the car up and where to place my jack stands. I only have two jack stands.Thank you again and Im sorry for the rookie question I just don't want to mess anything up or kill myself!!!!!!

Welcome

what kind of jack? please tell me you are not using a bumper jack.

I use the front center crossmember right under the engine, with the aluminum hydraulic jack. That part of the frame is a beast and it lifts the entire front end. Then put the stands aft of the front wheels, under the biggest flattest beastiest part of the frame you can.

Place most of the weight on the stands. Wiggle the car to ensure it is stable and the stands are not about to slip. Then remove the jack if need be, or leave it as a 3rd member for safety.

At the rear, same thing, I jack under the center of the pumpkin or pig- the final drive gear housing. Then put the stands under the big beasty part of the frame just fwd of the rear wheels- about at the front of the lower control arms. Load the stands, check stability, then leave the jack in place for safety if possible.
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sure it is. Just hold your nose and blow!

Old February 18th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Ohh ya leave it to Joe & Eric you guys will attempt and fix anything haha !!! Good post!
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Administrator

What is the reason to jack up the car? In other words is there a specific job to be performed?
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

There's this too: if you're going to need to jack the car frequently, you might consider getting a pair of ramps. If you get decent ones, they're safer, sturdier and a lot less hassle. They even make ones with adapters that leave the wheels suspended for front end work.
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:32 AM

Removable ramps helps. I find they usually get pushed away by the car though.

A 2nd pr of stands is also a great thing to have.