The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

What about a new windshield for that old wrap-around classic?

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM

What about a new windshield for that old wrap-around classic?

I've seen evidence of new windshields for a wrap-around old classic on the internet from EBAY. The one I saw was $500.00 for a 57 Olds. I suppose that is a little steep, compared to the $250 I recently paid for my Aurora.

Here in AZ, replacement windshields are a harsh reality as with most places, but with less vegetation the rocks come a-flyin. Not to mention many truck drivers that seem like they could simply care less on their exclusive highways, with dirt, rocks and debris spilling from the truck beds. Cement and dump trucks are my favorites (to avoid).

So what about windshield replacements - any insights on the wrap-around kinds for older cars. Is there some windshield businesses out there that don't charge an arm and leg?
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM

If you have a damaged windshield you either have to find a replacement from a parts car or have a shop modify the windshield channel and roof to accomodate a different windshield. I believe it would be much cheaper to find a parts car windshield.

In older cars (50s and older) the split windshield can be removed and a single piece windshield installed; however, this could get pricey. My friend had a 51 Ford that orginially had a split windshield in it. He replaced it with a single piece windshield but had a custom shop do it for him. He spent quite a bit of money on that car.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
So what about windshield replacements - any insights on the wrap-around kinds for older cars. Is there some windshield businesses out there that don't charge an arm and leg?
Keep in mind that you are talking about a car that is over half a century old! Your Aurora is relatively new, many are still on the road, and the market for windshields is large. The costs to retain the tooling and warehouse spares for a 1950s vintage windshield with a very low sales rate do add up. The company selling the windshield isn't a charity, so expect those costs to be passed on to the buyer. Sorry, but that's the reality of supply and demand. Be thankful you can still get them.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Truthfully, I think $500 is pretty decent. Especially if they can guarantee that it arrives in one piece.
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM

I currently have a cracked windshield on my 57 Super 88 and the best price I have found around the pacific nw is $620.00 installed and the best price I have found for just the windshield alone is $450.00 plus shipping and when I checked with a number of installers they want $90.00 an hour to install and up to four hours for the job plus a new seal. Looks to me like the $620.00 is the cheapest cost, have to mortage the house to get this done. If you find a better deal let me know
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM

I paid a local guy $60 to remove and reinstall the rear window in my 71 98. I doubt it would be much more for a front windshield.
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I paid a local guy $60 to remove and reinstall the rear window in my 71 98. I doubt it would be much more for a front windshield.
The bonded-in style like the one on your 71 is somewhat easier to R&R than a windshield that uses a rubber channel, in my opinion.
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM

The bonded-in style like the one on your 71 is somewhat easier to R&R than a windshield that uses a rubber channel, in my opinion.
Could be. I've only removed a few windshields and those were on 80s cars. Regardless, I was impressed with the service, quality, and price this local glass shop gave me in removing and installing my rear window.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM

I went out for six bids and they were all around the same price. Buying and having it installed was cheaper in each case then me supplying the windshield and having it installed by someone else. Now if a guy could find a used good windshield and then have it installed you could most likley beat the price by a few hundred.
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Great responses and thanks! I am floored by how serious a situation the replacement of a windshield in these older cars. Fortunately, my 57 Olds only has a few very minor pits I will be living with, especially after reading these threads! Thanks again - Dan
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:10 AM

Dan, if you only have a few rock chips and blemishes it would probably be worth it to have a window repair man fix the chips. I had a rock chip fixed on my 93 Buick LeSaber when I lived in KS and I was impressed with the repair. The guy came out to my work and spent about 45 minutes cleaning, deburring, filling, and polishing the rock chips. I think it was only about $50. Plus, he guaranteed his work for a year that the chips wouldn't crack further.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks Olds64 for the info. I have had pits removed in my truck awhile back and did not have good results, but will try this again soon with someone else. These windshield repair folks seem to be easy to find, that's for sure.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up doin' it right !!!

[quote=Dan Wirth;

So what about windshield replacements - any insights on the wrap-around kinds for older cars. Is there some windshield businesses out there that don't charge an arm and leg?[/quote]

So you're thinking about New Windshield replacement: and just a note about New Glass of today, and that is that the replacement glass is 1-2 mils thinner than Original Windshields. Apply a thin stream of Urethane Sealant around the outside of the Windshield in the rubber Gasket or it will leak when washed. If you need to purchase a New rubber Gasket from Metro, or Steele rubber parts they are all produced to original specs and the Urethane is still needed. Hope this assists you in your decision making venture....
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
67 heavy metal

I had to replace the windshield on my 67 but I have glass coverage so I just told the insurance co and had it done.Part of the reason was I worked on the car bodywork etc but there was a nice almost u shaped crack at the base in the middle of the windshield it was from rust and rot.fixed the area of trouble and had them install the new one.all the rest of the glass is origional.I even have a chip out of one of the door windows on the top.that old glass was thick.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM

If you are looking for a used windshield for the 50's to 60's cars, call John at Big M Auto in Williams, Ca. at (530) 473-2225.

He has quite a bit of the old glass and cars. If he doesn't have it he can look it up in his books to see what will work (Buick or all GM, etc).
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:13 PM

Windshield responses

Thanks for the additional responses. They were very informative and helpful. I can't help but wonder how many errors of not providing the right sealing process are made on that one mil difference in the glass thickness of today's glass replacements... this info is good to know if you are going for the glass replacement.

Best regards, Dan