The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Vacuum Questions - 66 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:09 PM

Vacuum Questions - 66 Toronado

Background - My son bought this toronado and the motor went in it a week later. Just rebuilt the motor and it runs great however, when the engine dumped, the pop up lights were stuck in the "up" position. My son disengaged the actuator on the one side and said he pulled a vacuum line to get the other to drop. I thought I had all the lines connected right but it's apparent that I don't because it's still not working. I found a vacuum diagram that was supposedly for the 66 toronado however, the vacuum tank in the diagram had 2 inlets or an inlet and an outlet. Either way, there were 2 ports. The vacuum tank in mine only has one. First of all, I am not a mechanic and am trying to figure out how a vacuum tank even works if it only has 1 port. Wouldn't it need to have an inlet and outlet? So here is my predicament. The diagram looks to be fairly correct regarding the diaphragm and actuators, etc. however the lines from the tank are not. Thanks, sincerely "getting frustrated"
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:56 AM

It's been a few years since I tinkered with one of these. I do remember the headlight switch having vacuum lines attached to it. I've got 1967 parts but don't think I've got any of the 1966 stuff still. I went through my photos and agree, it looks to be only one port on the large square vacuum tank. 1967 uses a plastic manifold tucked under the inside fender, and a small vacuum valve under the header panel near each headlight door but I don't remember if 1966 had those too. John