The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Proud new ‘67 owner... hello!

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2018, 10:46 AM

Proud new ‘67 owner... hello!

Greetings all, my name is Dean. It’s great to be a part of this forum and to read the knowledge that’s already been posted here.

I recently purchased a 1967 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe in Pennsylvania. It’s a mostly original example, having had one repaint in the 90s and that’s about it. It was fastidiously kept and is in really nice shape. A buddy and I had the ride of our lives, driving it the 3500-odd miles to California in it - through Iowa, Colorado and Utah. The car didn’t skip a beat, even at 8000ft in the Rockies!

Anyway, thought I’d introduce myself, say hello, and share a couple of pictures.

Also- any advice on finding the second VIN would be most appreciated... it’s got me and the DMV stumped.

Thanks!

Last edited by Deanio; August 21st, 2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: One question to add
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, awesome looking car.
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:56 AM

real nice looking sport coupe(dont believe it's a holiday with post) i think those wheel covers are the nicest style olds used.jc
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
real nice looking sport coupe(dont believe it's a holiday with post) i think those wheel covers are the nicest style olds used.jc
ahhh see I’m learning already... thanks. Holiday is what I was told, but I can see you’re right.
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:17 AM

Old August 21st, 2018, 11:21 AM
Randy C.

That's a beautiful car! Duel side mirrors! And you've got a good question about the "second VIN". Olds didn't start stamping VIN derivatives on the block and transmission casing until the '68 model year. I'm thinking the only other place you will find a VIN stamp is on the frame and that may very well require the body to be separated from the frame to read it! I'm surprised the CA DMV doesn't know this by now. Any possibility of using the Pennsylvania title and registration to verify the VIN?

Randy C.
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
That's a beautiful car! Duel side mirrors! And you've got a good question about the "second VIN". Olds didn't start stamping VIN derivatives on the block and transmission casing until the '68 model year. I'm thinking the only other place you will find a VIN stamp is on the frame and that may very well require the body to be separated from the frame to read it! I'm surprised the CA DMV doesn't know this by now. Any possibility of using the Pennsylvania title and registration to verify the VIN?

Randy C.
What Randy said (well, except for that "duel" part - the mirrors aren't shooting at each other ). Of course the problem is that the people working at the DMV weren't born when these cars were new and have no idea what the requirements were when the cars were built. FYI, the passenger side mirror was not available from the factory, only as a dealer-installed package. They are relatively rare. Beautiful car.
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:29 AM

Yes very nice car but some things aren't quite right. It looks like this car started out as an F-85 evident by the trunk badge and hood emblem. Can you post some interior picts of door panels and seats or even trim tag?
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Yes very nice car but some things aren't quite right. It looks like this car started out as an F-85 evident by the trunk badge and hood emblem. Can you post some interior picts of door panels and seats or even trim tag?
Good eyes. Actually, Olds didn't make a Cutlass Sport Coupe in 1967. You could either get an F-85 Club Coupe or a Cutlass Supreme Sport Coupe, but not a Cutlass badged version. The VIN will tell you exactly what this is. The wheel opening moldings suggest that this is an F-85 Club Coupe with the RPO Y68 molding package. Likely the front fenders were replaced at one time with Cutlass fenders.

Old August 21st, 2018, 08:25 PM

Beautiful car but i think the mirrors are not correct for 67. I believe they should be round not rectangular.
Other wise a 50 year old car who knows what it has gone through in its life, again beautiful car.
Steve
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Interesting - it definitely has the F-85 emblem on the dash, but I understood that to be an option from Fisher, the coach builder. Interested to know your thoughts. Dash pic and firewall badge included... from the VIN it's a 3407 - 2 Door Club Coupe... 7G, 1967, Framingham, MA assembly... So I'm understanding that these may not have been badged 'Cutlass' originally, but I've seen a few vehicles that carry both F-85 trim options and Cutlass badging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8277.jpg (1.36 MB, 15 views)
DSC00038.jpg (1.84 MB, 21 views)
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
Beautiful car but i think the mirrors are not correct for 67. I believe they should be round not rectangular.
Other wise a 50 year old car who knows what it has gone through in its life, again beautiful car.
Steve
Great point... I see those round mirrors on other models now I look a little closer. I'm lucky that this car was owned by the same old gentleman for 28 years, and kept well. Perhaps he liked the rectangle look better, and maybe added a couple of Cutlass badges too. It came with a trunk full of original parts, but the mirrors weren't among them. Thanks for your observations
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:00 AM

The 3407 confirms this car as a 67 F-85 Club Coupe. Someone added the Cutlass badges to the fenders and possibly the wheel well trim. Now post a pict of the interior. The F-85 had its on pattern seat coverings and door panels.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:22 AM

The F85 did not get the chrome panel on the trunk lid as well.
Attached Images
742116_3.jpg (88.7 KB, 19 views)
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

The square outside mirrors are reproduction Chevy mirrors. This is a nice car, but it's been assembled from parts. Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:21 AM

Nice car, learn more about it. Drive it and enjoy. More pictures.
Thanks

Wayne
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:21 AM

Another f85 giveaway are the tail/backup lights
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dave26
Another f85 giveaway are the tail/backup lights
Cutlass used the same configuration for 1967. Only Supremes got the two red lenses on each side and the separate backup lights in the bumper.

Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You have a beautiful car.

Originally Posted by Deanio
Interesting - it definitely has the F-85 emblem on the dash, but I understood that to be an option from Fisher, the coach builder. Interested to know your thoughts. Dash pic and firewall badge included.
No, the option was to buy a Club Coupe or a Cutlass Supreme coupe. Badging the interior was part of the fitment of interior completed at Fisher Body Works at Framingham. The different trim levels also demanded different stitching for the seat patterns and door panels. Fisher was also responsible for the deck lid/trim and body side trim. Anything in front of the cowl was completed on the final assembly line. That included marrying the chassis to the body, front clip, and bumpers. The cowl tag shows your car is still wearing the correct Champagne color paint. The body side moldings you have look to be the plastic stick on variety. Hopefully the shop that did the dual exhaust used a proper block off plate, or does the car have headers now?

... from the VIN it's a 3407 - 2 Door Club Coupe... 7G, 1967, Framingham, MA assembly... So I'm understanding that these may not have been badged 'Cutlass' originally, but I've seen a few vehicles that carry both F-85 trim options and Cutlass badging.
The VIN will be on the A pillar stamped onto a tag riveted there.The Cowl tag confirms it's a Club coupe with V8. I don't know what vehicles you've seen carrying both f-85 and Cutlass trim, but they didn't leave the factory like that. Don't forget how old these cars are and what previous owners have modified into their preferences.

Although I hate to suggest this, some owners will list their cars for sale as upper scale models simply by changing a few cosmetic details in order to set higher FSBO pricing. If you look up the resale values of Cutlass vs f-85 the Cutlass always commands higher pricing.

The wheel discs you have on the car are 1972 (RPO N95 Wheel Discs, simulated wire). They require a special deep dish wheel to fit properly.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:01 PM

It seems to be mixed... here's an F-85 with the configuration you describe... https://www.volocars.com/vehicles/14...oldsmobile-f85
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Although I hate to suggest this, some owners will list their cars for sale as upper scale models simply by changing a few cosmetic details in order to set higher FSBO pricing. If you look up the resale values of Cutlass vs f-85 the Cutlass always commands higher pricing.

The wheel discs you have on the car are 1972 (RPO N95 Wheel Discs, simulated wire). They require a special deep dish wheel to fit properly.
I appreciate the knowledge! The car was purchased from a deceased estate, and the old fellow had owned it since '89... so perhaps he was the one that up-spec'd it for his own tastes, or purchased it like that. Interesting stuff. Meanwhile, I might source those original F-85 fender badges...

Last edited by Deanio; August 22nd, 2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Realized I was repeating myself
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM

Regardless of what has been done or changed on the car in the last 50 years, its a great car. Very beautiful, i would love to see interior pics.

Steve
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

It seems to be mixed... here's an F-85 with the configuration you describe... https://www.volocars.com/vehicles/14...oldsmobile-f85
That car isn't original either. The description is also incorrect. Olds never used a "Powerglide" transmission
Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:09 AM

The B-90 molding option would also give this car the side window frame chrome which this car has.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Note that the Volo car has a Cutlass Supreme bumper added to an F-85, so obviously that car has been messed with from original. It's extremely difficult to find a correct, original car these days. A LOT can happen in half a century. Don't rely on any photos from current dealers or body-off restored cars as "proof" of anything.

Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, B90 was a factory RPO for the f85. That doesn't explain the deck lid trim or Cutlass badging. That would never have been added at the factory.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:40 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Its a beautiful Olds! With some other GM parts, so what? Just drive it!

Old August 23rd, 2018, 07:28 AM

I have owned a handful in this same configuration. Cutlass Not Cutlass Supreme. 2 door post (club coupe) with the same full wheel opening moldings. As the op and I discussed a few days ago. No second vin on a 67 car. Nice car. the wheel covers are from a 70's car and I suspect it now has 15" wheels rather than the original 14" wheels.

The hood emblem is common to an F85 and The mirrors look more like the ones that came on many Chevy cars. I suspect someone did some changes when it was repainted and somewhat restored.

Very nice car.

Larry

Last edited by lemoldsnut; August 23rd, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That car isn't original either. The description is also incorrect. Olds never used a "Powerglide" transmission
this might be the only time a powerglide is called a "jetaway" instead of the other way around
Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

this might be the only time a powerglide is called a "jetaway" instead of the other way around
It's not a Powerglide. Oldsmobiles with the Chevy I6 used a Jetaway with dual bellhousing bolt patterns.

Here's a picture of a dual pattern Jetaway.

Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I have owned a handful in this same configuration. Cutlass Not Cutlass Supreme. 2 door post (club coupe) with the same full wheel opening moldings
The 3407 body style on the cowl tag shows the car to be an F-85, not a Cutlass. Cutlass used 36xx, Supreme used 38xx. There were no 3607 body styles made in 1967.
Old August 26th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Getting There

Awesome car Dean !
Old August 26th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Beautiful car, those pictures could pass for original brochure ads. A cross country cruiser like that must've got quite a few thumbs up. Good score, I hope it brings lots of enjoyment just as Olds designed it to do. Welcome.
Old August 31st, 2018, 03:36 PM

Thanks again for all the comments and knowledge.

One thing I'm really keen to replace is the window felts... I'm looking at OPGI, but their descriptions are a little vague and I want to make sure I get the right set.

Given that my coupe has a 'post' - do you think that sometimes this is described as a 'two door sedan'? I've searched under Club Coupe (F-85 option) and Sports Coupe (Cutlass option) and got a bit of a generic list. Can anyone please help me narrow it down?

https://www.opgi.com/searchpart.asp?...d=window+felts

Thanks D
Old August 31st, 2018, 04:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Some vendors distinguish between post cars and non post cars with the description "Holiday coupe" for the non post, and 'Sport Coupe' for the post.

Supercars Unlimited 66/67 sport coupe
Old August 31st, 2018, 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=Allan R;1121594]Some vendors distinguish between post cars and non post cars with the description "Holiday coupe" for the non post, and 'Sport Coupe' for the post.

Great - thanks Allan - understood that the 'holiday' was postless. I've since learned that 'Sport' and 'Club' coupes are also described as 'two-door sedans' by OPGI - which is helpful

Appreciate the help!
Old September 1st, 2018, 05:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Personally, I would get rubber parts from Steele Rubber. They list a 2dr Hardtop and 2dr Sedan. The latter is what Olds called Club Coupe or Sport Coupe. There are two styles of window fuzzies - the more expensive ones that look like originals (P/N 80-0509-57) and the less expensive generic ones that have the incorrectly-shaped chrome bead (P/N 80-0087-57).

https://www.steelerubber.com/search?...e=2-door-coupe
Old September 1st, 2018, 07:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

........... Steele Rubber. They list a 2dr Hardtop and 2dr Sedan. The latter is what Olds called Club Coupe or Sport Coupe.
I did look at Steele Rubber for those fuzzies to link here too. BUT, unlike your computer, the reference on the Steele page showed me the 2 door hardtop and 2 door Coupe, NOT sedan. The only reference they have to sedan is the 4 door sedan. That's a phone call to Steele AFAIK to verify the right parts, and they aren't cheap.
Old September 1st, 2018, 09:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
I did look at Steele Rubber for those fuzzies to link here too. BUT, unlike your computer, the reference on the Steele page showed me the 2 door hardtop and 2 door Coupe, NOT sedan. The only reference they have to sedan is the 4 door sedan. That's a phone call to Steele AFAIK to verify the right parts, and they aren't cheap.
Sorry, you are correct. I apparently WANTED it to say "sedan". Of course, "2dr coupe" is redundant (unless you are a German automaker apparently).

In any case, the hardtop part numbers are different from the ones listed for "coupe". The correct fuzzies are expensive, but to me it's worth it to get the correct chrome bead. The OP's car is beautiful.
Old September 1st, 2018, 03:30 PM

Of course, "2dr coupe" is redundant (unless you are a German automaker apparently).
Hahaha this has always been at the top of my list of peeves, dating back to whenever the CLS series Mercedes was released... Although I had to say I did a brief double-take when I read two-door sedan also
Thanks Joe for taking the time to check this out on my behalf.

As an aside, I caught up with a friend and his ‘77 280z today. We took a moment to marvel what happened to automotive design in a brief 10 year period...! I still prefer mine, of course.

Last edited by Deanio; September 1st, 2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Proud new ‘67 owner... hello!