The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself and make your first post.

Oldie but goody....

Old October 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Talking Oldie but goody....

Oldie but goody...(The car is nice too). After almost 68 years I finally have a car to play with. I just purchased this 53 Super 88 and am the third owner. The exterior is pretty nice but will have to clean up the interior a bit. I still don't have it home yet as it is still at the dealer getting an aftermarket A/C system, seat covers, and some nice dual exhausts....YESSSS... Going crazy waiting to get my hands on this baby. This is a great forum and I plan to learn lots here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
53 Olds Super 88 final2.jpg (109.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
53 Olds Super 88 final.jpg (89.6 KB, 35 views)
53super88 is offline  
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
citcapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rathdrum, Idano
Posts: 9,127
Welcome to CO

Looks great, you'll have lots of fun I'm sure. This is a great place to get information

Some photo shoot!
citcapp is offline  
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
  #3  
Registered
 
Bluevista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 4,430
Welcome

That does look really nice.

Good things come to those who wait.
Waiting will drive you crazy but it's a good crazy.
Bluevista is offline  
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:45 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Olds64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 10,961
Lookin' good!
Olds64 is offline  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
  #5  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 23,922
Originally Posted by 53super88 View Post
Oldie but goody...(The car is nice too). After almost 68 years I finally have a car to play with. I just purchased this 53 Super 88 and am the third owner. The exterior is pretty nice but will have to clean up the interior a bit. I still don't have it home yet as it is still at the dealer getting an aftermarket A/C system, seat covers, and some nice dual exhausts....YESSSS... Going crazy waiting to get my hands on this baby. This is a great forum and I plan to learn lots here.
Very nice looking car. Nice job with the picture cropping and background. U use Photoshop?
Looking forward to more pics and stories about your new ride. Welcome to CO. Wish I had room for one of those big 'ol cruisers!
Allan R is offline  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Oldie but goodie

Thanks...yes I do quite a bit with Photoshop in other areas so comes in handy with the car photos. These were taken on the dealer's lot and I just
blurred the background. Still don't have it home yet...Arrrgghhh
53super88 is offline  
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
1ATony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 235
Welcome to the site.
1ATony is offline  
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
  #8  
Administrator
 
Oldsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Red Oak Texas
Posts: 8,893
Glad to have you here with us at CO. Get that baby home and let us know more about it.
Oldsguy is offline  
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Oldie but goodie update

Here's some photos of my '53 Olds Super 88 showing some of the updates done so far. Interior redone throughout and a nice set of dual exhausts with
Smithy's mufflers and "flipper" hubcaps. Next step is to fine tune engine and transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
53 olds3.jpg (91.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
Front carpet.jpg (57.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg
Door panel front.jpg (46.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
Front seat 2.jpg (40.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
Door panel rear.jpg (46.1 KB, 16 views)
53super88 is offline  
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 53
Looks great and I really like the flipper hubcaps, I was wondering did you have the interior done ?
317rcampbell is offline  
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
  #11  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 23,922
Originally Posted by 53super88 View Post
Here's some photos of my '53 Olds Super 88 showing some of the updates done so far. Interior redone throughout and a nice set of dual exhausts with
Smithy's mufflers and "flipper" hubcaps. Next step is to fine tune engine and transmission.
Looking really excellent!! That interior looks awesome, just like factory. Normally I'm not a big fan of green on cars, but yours just looks right. Keep up the good work. Is this a resto mod or is the engine/tranny from 53 too? Love to see some underhood pics, and dashboard too. I'm getting 53 envy.....

I love the pic on your contact page. If I ever learn how to work with photoshop, I'm going to try that with some of my car. BTW, where are you located? Judging from the window tint, I guessing CA, NM, NV, TX or FL? Are you going to keep the tint now that the car has AC? Duhhhh, I just noticed the CA plates on the front.

Last edited by Allan R; December 1st, 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: xtra info
Allan R is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
  #12  
Administrator
 
Oldsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Red Oak Texas
Posts: 8,893
Well, I AM a big fan of green cars and I think yours is excellent through and through. Nice find!
Oldsguy is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
Looking really excellent!! That interior looks awesome, just like factory. Normally I'm not a big fan of green on cars, but yours just looks right. Keep up the good work. Is this a resto mod or is the engine/tranny from 53 too? Love to see some underhood pics, and dashboard too. I'm getting 53 envy.....

I love the pic on your contact page. If I ever learn how to work with photoshop, I'm going to try that with some of my car. BTW, where are you located? Judging from the window tint, I guessing CA, NM, NV, TX or FL? Are you going to keep the tint now that the car has AC? Duhhhh, I just noticed the CA plates on the front.
The engine and trans are original. (I am the third owner) I will try to take some photos of the engine compartment and dashboard soon. If you email
me a photo of your car I will be happy to create the same look as you see on my contact page. Just let me know...
53super88 is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
Looking really excellent!! That interior looks awesome, just like factory. Normally I'm not a big fan of green on cars, but yours just looks right. Keep up the good work. Is this a resto mod or is the engine/tranny from 53 too? Love to see some underhood pics, and dashboard too. I'm getting 53 envy.....

I love the pic on your contact page. If I ever learn how to work with photoshop, I'm going to try that with some of my car. BTW, where are you located? Judging from the window tint, I guessing CA, NM, NV, TX or FL? Are you going to keep the tint now that the car has AC? Duhhhh, I just noticed the CA plates on the front.
Here are some additional photos as requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
53 olds dashboard.jpg (60.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
53 olds trunk.jpg (79.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
53 olds engine 1.jpg (73.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
53 olds engine.jpg (74.0 KB, 17 views)
53super88 is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by 53super88 View Post
Here are some additional photos as requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
53 radio.jpg (63.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
53 speedometer and guages1.jpg (84.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
53 dash clock.jpg (87.1 KB, 9 views)
53super88 is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
53super88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Oldsguy View Post
Well, I AM a big fan of green cars and I think yours is excellent through and through. Nice find!
Thanks, the green is what attracted me to the car in the first place. Not sure
I would have gone with a 4 door sedan otherwise. Looks pretty good for an
oldie.
53super88 is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
  #17  
Registered User
 
belgium57olds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: belgium (europe )
Posts: 177
belgium 57 oldsmobile

welcome to the forum , nice 53'


belgium greetz

marc
belgium57olds is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
  #18  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 23,922
Originally Posted by Oldsguy View Post
Well, I AM a big fan of green cars and I think yours is excellent through and through. Nice find!
Relax Dan.... I totally agree with you on this beauty.

Looking at the picture of the speedo leads me to ask: Why is the reverse gear at the right side? If you slapped this car into reverse by mistake instead of low, wouldn't that cause all kinds of problems? Or was there a lockout to prevent the transmission from going to reverse while it was moving forward? Not trying to be stupid here, I honestly don't understand the location of the selector positions. It's completely different from todays cars, and from the 67 I learned to drive on. Do we need a new thread explaining the history, or can someone post a readers digest version?
Allan R is offline  
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Dan Wirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Southwest
Posts: 470
Welcome to CO. Your car is a great old classic in my book. It looks amazing for its age. Someone put a lot of love into that car and it is great to see it. I got mine about 6 months ago and it came to me much the same way and has been a pleasure perfecting it since - some great help and pointers from the members here. I know you'll have the same experience.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; December 4th, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
Dan Wirth is offline  
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
  #20  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,302
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
Relax Dan.... I totally agree with you on this beauty.

Looking at the picture of the speedo leads me to ask: Why is the reverse gear at the right side? If you slapped this car into reverse by mistake instead of low, wouldn't that cause all kinds of problems? Or was there a lockout to prevent the transmission from going to reverse while it was moving forward? Not trying to be stupid here, I honestly don't understand the location of the selector positions. It's completely different from todays cars, and from the 67 I learned to drive on. Do we need a new thread explaining the history, or can someone post a readers digest version?
When the Hydra-Matic was first developed in 1939 (for a mid-1940 introduction) by Olds, it was found that it could be made a little cheaper if the shift pattern was N DLR . Some engineers said that this pattern could be dangerous and did not follow industrial standards by having neutral between foreward and reverse.
The cost cutters won out though, and GM management declared "the die is cast". Buick ,when they introduced their Dyna-Flow in 1948 and Chevrolet when they introduced the Powerglide in 1950 both used this same pattern. Both divisions added a "Park" feature so the pattern was P NDLR.
Both Chevy and Buick changed these shift patterns to P RNDL in 1958. Hydramatic, however, forged ahead with the P NDLR pattern until 1964. Even though the Hydra-Matic was re-designed twice.
In 1965 "Gub-Mint" safety standards forced all manufacturers to go to the P RNDL pattern.
Charlie Jones is offline  
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
  #21  
Registered User
 
Chuck_66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 153
Welcome to the forum really nice 53
Chuck_66 is offline  
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM
  #22  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 32,301
This thread is 3 years old.
oldcutlass is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CHARLOTTE
General Questions
18
March 31st, 2019 03:31 PM
34toddster
The Newbie Forum
6
April 19th, 2012 06:14 PM
1961oldshardtop
The Newbie Forum
2
July 6th, 2011 05:00 AM
Driftr
The Newbie Forum
8
March 29th, 2011 05:17 AM
oldspackrat
The Newbie Forum
9
December 24th, 2010 03:24 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oldie but goody....


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.