The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Oldie but goody....

Old October 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Talking Oldie but goody....

Oldie but goody...(The car is nice too). After almost 68 years I finally have a car to play with. I just purchased this 53 Super 88 and am the third owner. The exterior is pretty nice but will have to clean up the interior a bit. I still don't have it home yet as it is still at the dealer getting an aftermarket A/C system, seat covers, and some nice dual exhausts....YESSSS... Going crazy waiting to get my hands on this baby. This is a great forum and I plan to learn lots here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
53 Olds Super 88 final2.jpg (109.8 KB, 34 views)
53 Olds Super 88 final.jpg (89.6 KB, 35 views)
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Welcome to CO

Looks great, you'll have lots of fun I'm sure. This is a great place to get information

Some photo shoot!
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

Welcome

That does look really nice.

Good things come to those who wait.
Waiting will drive you crazy but it's a good crazy.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Lookin' good!
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 53super88
Oldie but goody...(The car is nice too). After almost 68 years I finally have a car to play with. I just purchased this 53 Super 88 and am the third owner. The exterior is pretty nice but will have to clean up the interior a bit. I still don't have it home yet as it is still at the dealer getting an aftermarket A/C system, seat covers, and some nice dual exhausts....YESSSS... Going crazy waiting to get my hands on this baby. This is a great forum and I plan to learn lots here.
Very nice looking car. Nice job with the picture cropping and background. U use Photoshop?
Looking forward to more pics and stories about your new ride. Welcome to CO. Wish I had room for one of those big 'ol cruisers!
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Oldie but goodie

Thanks...yes I do quite a bit with Photoshop in other areas so comes in handy with the car photos. These were taken on the dealer's lot and I just
blurred the background. Still don't have it home yet...Arrrgghhh
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Welcome to the site.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Past Administrator

Glad to have you here with us at CO. Get that baby home and let us know more about it.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM

Oldie but goodie update

Here's some photos of my '53 Olds Super 88 showing some of the updates done so far. Interior redone throughout and a nice set of dual exhausts with
Smithy's mufflers and "flipper" hubcaps. Next step is to fine tune engine and transmission.
Attached Images
53 olds3.jpg (91.0 KB, 26 views)
Front carpet.jpg (57.4 KB, 23 views)
Door panel front.jpg (46.4 KB, 19 views)
Front seat 2.jpg (40.5 KB, 24 views)
Door panel rear.jpg (46.1 KB, 16 views)
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Looks great and I really like the flipper hubcaps, I was wondering did you have the interior done ?
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's some photos of my '53 Olds Super 88 showing some of the updates done so far. Interior redone throughout and a nice set of dual exhausts with
Smithy's mufflers and "flipper" hubcaps. Next step is to fine tune engine and transmission.
Looking really excellent!! That interior looks awesome, just like factory. Normally I'm not a big fan of green on cars, but yours just looks right. Keep up the good work. Is this a resto mod or is the engine/tranny from 53 too? Love to see some underhood pics, and dashboard too. I'm getting 53 envy.....

I love the pic on your contact page. If I ever learn how to work with photoshop, I'm going to try that with some of my car. BTW, where are you located? Judging from the window tint, I guessing CA, NM, NV, TX or FL? Are you going to keep the tint now that the car has AC? Duhhhh, I just noticed the CA plates on the front.

Last edited by Allan R; December 1st, 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: xtra info
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Past Administrator

Well, I AM a big fan of green cars and I think yours is excellent through and through. Nice find!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Looking really excellent!! That interior looks awesome, just like factory. Normally I'm not a big fan of green on cars, but yours just looks right. Keep up the good work. Is this a resto mod or is the engine/tranny from 53 too? Love to see some underhood pics, and dashboard too. I'm getting 53 envy.....

I love the pic on your contact page. If I ever learn how to work with photoshop, I'm going to try that with some of my car. BTW, where are you located? Judging from the window tint, I guessing CA, NM, NV, TX or FL? Are you going to keep the tint now that the car has AC? Duhhhh, I just noticed the CA plates on the front.
The engine and trans are original. (I am the third owner) I will try to take some photos of the engine compartment and dashboard soon. If you email
me a photo of your car I will be happy to create the same look as you see on my contact page. Just let me know...
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM

Here are some additional photos as requested.
Attached Images
53 olds dashboard.jpg (60.8 KB, 16 views)
53 olds trunk.jpg (79.8 KB, 12 views)
53 olds engine 1.jpg (73.9 KB, 19 views)
53 olds engine.jpg (74.0 KB, 17 views)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM

Here are some additional photos as requested.
Attached Images
53 radio.jpg (63.2 KB, 12 views)
53 speedometer and guages1.jpg (84.7 KB, 13 views)
53 dash clock.jpg (87.1 KB, 9 views)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Well, I AM a big fan of green cars and I think yours is excellent through and through. Nice find!
Thanks, the green is what attracted me to the car in the first place. Not sure
I would have gone with a 4 door sedan otherwise. Looks pretty good for an
oldie.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM

belgium 57 oldsmobile

welcome to the forum , nice 53'

belgium greetz

marc
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Relax Dan.... I totally agree with you on this beauty.

Looking at the picture of the speedo leads me to ask: Why is the reverse gear at the right side? If you slapped this car into reverse by mistake instead of low, wouldn't that cause all kinds of problems? Or was there a lockout to prevent the transmission from going to reverse while it was moving forward? Not trying to be stupid here, I honestly don't understand the location of the selector positions. It's completely different from todays cars, and from the 67 I learned to drive on. Do we need a new thread explaining the history, or can someone post a readers digest version?
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Welcome to CO. Your car is a great old classic in my book. It looks amazing for its age. Someone put a lot of love into that car and it is great to see it. I got mine about 6 months ago and it came to me much the same way and has been a pleasure perfecting it since - some great help and pointers from the members here. I know you'll have the same experience.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; December 4th, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

Relax Dan.... I totally agree with you on this beauty.

Looking at the picture of the speedo leads me to ask: Why is the reverse gear at the right side? If you slapped this car into reverse by mistake instead of low, wouldn't that cause all kinds of problems? Or was there a lockout to prevent the transmission from going to reverse while it was moving forward? Not trying to be stupid here, I honestly don't understand the location of the selector positions. It's completely different from todays cars, and from the 67 I learned to drive on. Do we need a new thread explaining the history, or can someone post a readers digest version?
When the Hydra-Matic was first developed in 1939 (for a mid-1940 introduction) by Olds, it was found that it could be made a little cheaper if the shift pattern was N DLR . Some engineers said that this pattern could be dangerous and did not follow industrial standards by having neutral between foreward and reverse.
The cost cutters won out though, and GM management declared "the die is cast". Buick ,when they introduced their Dyna-Flow in 1948 and Chevrolet when they introduced the Powerglide in 1950 both used this same pattern. Both divisions added a "Park" feature so the pattern was P NDLR.
Both Chevy and Buick changed these shift patterns to P RNDL in 1958. Hydramatic, however, forged ahead with the P NDLR pattern until 1964. Even though the Hydra-Matic was re-designed twice.
In 1965 "Gub-Mint" safety standards forced all manufacturers to go to the P RNDL pattern.
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Welcome to the forum really nice 53
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Administrator

This thread is 3 years old.