The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie - will be seeking help

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
GM Enthusiast

One day closer to spring? Does not look like it outside.

Oh well, hopefully soon.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Captain of my ship

Looking out the window this morning it is snowing again so it's not looking too promising. murphy's law always dictates that anything dropped always hits an appendage then scoots to the other side of the floor on the other side of the car
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
My other woman's an Old's

Sods law says that Murphy was an optimist!!
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Captain of my ship

Here's what it looks like today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002.jpg (54.5 KB, 7 views)
004.jpg (52.7 KB, 7 views)
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
One day closer to spring? Does not look like it outside.

Oh well, hopefully soon.

Come on Darrell... think positive! One day closer to spring - on the calendar, anyhow! Sunday we're supposed to get to 45 degrees and have rain. Then I'm sure it will freeze overnight and Monday will be slickery!!!
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Here's what it looks like today.

Wolfie.... I don't like that snow! You keep it there, okay??? We can actually see grass in places - it's been nice not to have any snow for the last 6 days!! Just a teaser, though.... we're far from over with winter!
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Captain of my ship

I am going to go and plow up some snow today so I could just load it up into some tandoms and send it to you Sandy. You would not want that grass uncovered if it turns real cold again.
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
Cutlass Lover

NO Wolfie.... Don't do it!!!!! We actually have some SUNSHINE!!!!! I took pics with my phone on my way to work!!! My Gawd... it's just beautiful!! The birds were out eating and singing this morning!! There were actually STARS I could see early this morning when we went out to go to the school! We've had this friggin cloud layer for weeks, making everything gray and dark and dismal... yuck!

I gotta figure out this phone connector cord thingy so I can get pics from my phone to my laptop.....
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM

Oh what a beautiful morning ....

... oh what a beautiful day - everyone waxing lyrical about snow - clear blue skies and birds singing - how lovely. On the car front the carb is fixed (I hope) and the engine running again. Hoping for a blue clear day tomorrow and take the green goddess out for a quick spin. So if you could send me some of that nice weather over here - be very grateful.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Cutlass Lover

"I've got a beautiful feeling... everything's going my way" It has been beautiful here all day!!! Sun is still shining, and around 37 degrees!!! I took a nice walk at lunch time and enjoyed it!!
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:26 PM

Yeah!

& I drove to work thru fog w/ visibility down to about 100 yds this A.M.!

Hey Sandy- quit rubbing it in! I need to take the beast over to the body shop to get the inner rocker panels & the rear panel "behind" the bumper replaced, I'd have to drive it thru more salt that you can imagine! As soon as the roads dry out (happened 3 times this week for about a total of 6hrs!), they're white- not black! GRRRRRR!!!!!

Ralph
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Brilliant ....

sun shine and blue skies meant I could at last take the green goddess out for a ride. Got 50 yards before the carburetor started to leak but a gentle tap with a hammer soon set it lose - and we were good to go. Found where the windscreen wipers turn on and off, got used to the accelerator pedal being in the middle and nearly cracked the awkward clutch - still crunching the gears a little but improving all the time. Cold today so perhaps a little R&R in the garage. Need to pump up the rear tyre and recharge the battery fully but otherwise we are good to go. A longer ride beckons at the first sign of fair weather. Ordered posh foot pump and 6v/12v battery charger - be here later this week. Happy days.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Cutlass Lover

Send that nice weather my way, please!! Rain and 40's here now, but temps to drop all day and snow to start.... SODS! It's nice you could get your car out for a while.... what would you men do without hammers of any size? LOL!!
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Captain of my ship

Yes sometimes those old cars don't shift really well , I remember that I would push in the clutch and wait for it to rev down before shifting the gears . that seemed to help them from grinding.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM

oddly enough ...

... it almost seems you can over-engage the clutch. Push too far down and it seems to disengage - just the lightest of touches needed. However - need a clear road now to see how quick it can be!!
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM

well there you go .....

... won't expect too much speed. Manual says: change from 1st to 2nd at 5 miles per hour, and from 2nd to third at 15 miles per hour. No more gears and no more speed - guess the maximum is about 30 miles per hour then. Now about those traffic jams I am about to cause - havoc is a word that comes to mind!!
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Can anyone tell me what spark plugs were used in a 1927 olds? Need to know particularly the thread/diameter size and reach. Currently there are spacers fitted which enable new, narrower plugs to be fitted. I don't want to take these out until I know I can get proper replacements. Have been through the manual but not a lot of real help. Tx all - Andrew:-)
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:39 AM

http://groups.google.ca/group/Olds?hl=en&pli=1 If no one here has the info, post at this site, Gene Crowdis has a '27 that he restored, and should be able to help. Also, consider the AACA, they have an Olds section there, and may be able to help.
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks 1969 - will follow up and let you know what happens.
A:-)
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hi there Abbylands!! We haven't heard from you for a while - how's things going?
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Hey Cutlass Girl - things going good. Some work done on the car - new throttle return springs, revamped carburettor, repair of paintwork - and the hood is down. Been out and about in the sunshine - raining now so back in the garage. Had to change the doors on the garage especially to accommodate the car. Old doors only gave about 2 inches clearance each side and couldn't get in or out with the roof up. SO new doors - more space - breathing easier.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Cutlass Girl - I'm well - and the cars good. New throttle return springs. some adjustment on the throttle pedal rod, changes to the carburetor and she's running a dream. New garage doors also mean she fits better without having to take the hood down everytime I take her in or out. Will post photos of her topless soon.
Take care
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:27 PM
...should get a life....

http://www.hagensautoparts.com/1927/...7%2502F8+Bore/

Found this via google. Might be useful.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Col, thanks for this - excellent resource and will bookmark so I know where to go. Have good friends down under and they can purchase and send.
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Now trying to find someone who will clean and recondition one of the old heads I have. The take away the adaptors and put in the set of original plugs I found!! Will probably wait until winter to do this - just in case it ends up of the road for any length of time - don't want to waste a summer in the garage!! Also found some unused original head gaskets - been a good week.
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!! Found a spare cast head for the engine - took it to be pressure tested - some problems but nothing that can't be fixed. Also found some exhaust valves, 6 new old plugs (or should that be old new plugs) and a couple of gaskets. So winter is already scheduled - new head - change plugs (new for old) and generally put some more lipstick on the old lady. Been out some as well - some nice sun and took advantage - of to the pub - a swift light beer and a trip round the lanes. Fabulous.
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM

forgot to add ....

that I'm looking for a new radiator gauge. Emblem goes on the outside of the radiator and operates as a temperature gauge as well - trouble is the thread is knackered and I need to repair. Have been suggested to use araldite but this seems a touch extreme. Anyone know of something between araldite and PTFE tape. Or how to rethread either the cap or the emblem?
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM
...should get a life....

Might be worth getting in touch with an engineering / metal fabrication company. They'll probably be able to tap new threads for you. Better than mucking about with glue.
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Back again after long absence. 2 Reasons - been busy enjoying the Oldsmobile and have also invested in a 1949 Triumph Roadster - so 2 old ladies to look after now!! However a question. Doing winter servicing on the Olds and need to try and understand the Transmission oil equivalent for Transmission Lubricant GMC specification either 15 or 9. The fluid taken from the transmission is very thick - but this may be because it needed changing - or it may be the original fluid was very high viscosity. Anybody have any clues?
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well welcome back, Abbeylands! Nice to know you're still with us!!! Glad you're enjoying the car, and now you have a new baby too! You're gonna be busy, lol!!
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Thank you Cutlassgal - good to hear from you - new baby pic attached.
Attached Images
Triumph Roadster.jpg (15.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by abbeylands; January 4th, 2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: include picture
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well isn't that just cute, lol! Very nice!!!
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:59 AM

Well spring is sprung - new MOT for both babies has been done so now all legal honest and truthful. Oil changed in gearbox, engine and differential, spit and polish and chrome buffed - hot to trot and ready to rock and roll.