The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie - will be seeking help

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
My other woman's an Old's

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
How'd he do dat?
International keyboard - and paypal!!
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM

"Oh"
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abbeylands
... a big thanks to all those who have bothered to read, comment and help on this thread. Have had some great leads, some interesting topics of conversation and learnt things I never would have known. I'm related to movies stars, cools dudes have luckies up their sleeves and the other side of the Atlantic speak on tongues sometimes. Special mentions to Wolfman, Aron and Bluevista - not forgetting Cutlassgal and countless others. Will update with more stuff as and when received. Currently waiting for a) original parts manaul, b) original owners manual and c) original bodywork manual. SOurced through you guys. No wonder your economy is booming - it's all in US!! My £'s becoming your $'s

Economy is booming??

Is that line an example of the dry English humor I've always heard about?

Benny Hill would have written a limerick in it's honor.

Your welcome for helping you get over thirty posts in the newbie forum Abbeylands.

I was looking for that thing on my keyboard forever.
I'm glad Jamesbo's question cleared up the confusion, over here it's spelled #'s or Lbs. .

I would want gold for payment my own self.

You know, like your evil arch nemesis Mr. Goldfinger likes.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cutlass Lover

Goat... Redgoat... you are funny!!!
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Just received .....

... the Fisher Body Manual for 1926 - 1932 Oldsmobile Cars. Brilliant. Will spend tonight going through it and finding out how difficult or easy repairs will be - methinks they may look simple but are in fact in need of real craftsmanship!! Car arrives on Tuesday - registration plate BF 5317. Nice old fashioned plate for an old fashioned lady. Still waiting for 2 more manuals - hopefully they will arrive before Xmas!! Will post photos as soon as the car comes. Garage space cleared - oil radiator installed to keep her warm - blankets and hot water bottles available if required!!
A
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM

I hate ....

.... snow. All that excitement waiting for my car and the snow means they can't deliver. Hoping for a better day tomorrow - come on Santa - do your stuff.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Registered

.... snow. All that excitement waiting for my car and the snow means they can't deliver. Hoping for a better day tomorrow - come on Santa - do your stuff.
Snow??!

It snows there too?

Hopefuly Santa will come through.

I know you're really big into winter sports over there so you can have some fun at least, chin up and keep a stiff upper lip.

Put on that bright yellow ski suit you have and ski off one of your mighty mountains and release that Union Jack parachute, will keep you busy, done it before.
Need pics.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, it rallyhard to type likerthisi thuouegh.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh God! I say there, old chap... you just ain't right!

Abbeylands.... always believe in Christmas magic!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM

How spiffing ....

... of you all to understand my dilemma and disappointment. Such a trauma all this waiting around. But as you say - let's see a trifle more of that true british grit - stiff upper lip, cycle clips on the bottom of my trousers and face the consequences. Well I'm going to walk the dog - I may be gone some time - don't wait up for me Gertrude - and give my best to Algie. Bye the bye, let Archie have my best suit and give Reginald my leather shoes - it's the least I can do.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM

The family ...

... taking your advice:
Attached Images

Last edited by abbeylands; December 22nd, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

... taking your advice:

Trousers???

Grit is right, you guys drive around in the winter with the tops/roof/lid/chapeau or whatever you call it down in all the movies.
Does everybody have an old MG with no top and a pipe??

Those are really mod yellow threads.
Shopping on Carnaby street?

You always take a 'chute skiiing though???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEU_A405zA

Pip-pip, cheerio and all that bloody rot I must say... y'all.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Does everybody have an old MG with no top and a pipe??
Having had an Austin Healey 3000, I can tell you that you leave the top down in the winter to let some of the unbearable heat coming from the transmission tunnel escape. The pipe is to send smoke signals for help when you drive thru a mud puddle and the distributor [on the bottom of the engine] drowns out.

How the RAF won the Battle of Britton flying Spitfires with Lucas Electical systems remains one of the mysteries of the modern world.

Those ole MG's, Healey's and Jag's were beautiful cars but Geeze Louise you had a 50/50 shot of them starting EVERY day. When you turn the key, if you don't her the clickey click of the fuel pump [in the trunk] going, you had to get out, open the trunk, Whack the fuel pump a few times with your shoe and try again.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:41 AM
Registered

I wondered about that top down deal.

Those Lucas systems have quite a reputation.

The Lucas Electric motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh My God..... those are funny!!!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

My mistress ....

... has arrived. Firmly ensconced in the garage - and only just fit!! Didn't realise that the roof line was so high. Will take tomorrow to explore her - and take her top down. Will make it easier to get out of the garage - but of course this means that I have to wait until dry weather - a rarity at the moment.

Lucas Quality Control often advised the engineering department that their designs had problems with shorting out. Engineering always made the wires a little longer.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1261587447
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lucas-Bottle.jpg (44.4 KB, 16 views)
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

That's funny!!! I'm glad you finally got her!!! See... Christmas magic!!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM

Had a triumph 500 TT motorcycle for a couple of years right after high school, when driving at night the head light would stop working for no reason then come back on, never could figure out the problem. You guessed it lucas electric's. A girl friend had an MG, a early sixty model, had inline fuses scattered around the car in different places, always chasing troubles in that car, when it rained everything stopped working, again Lucas electric's.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM

Good Grief

I left out Triumphs How silly of me. That is a red Triumph hood isn't it?
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Well, the last week has been .....

... fun. Exploring the car and enjoying Xmas. I found out that the accelerator is the middle pedal which has caused a little confusion, that the battery is under the front seat, not found out how to turn on the windscreen wipers and that the engine turns as sweet as a nut. However given the rain, wind and salt on the rounds the excursion has been limited to the garage. The grandchildren love it however and think they have ended up in the movies. Hopefully the weather will clear in the next week or so and I can take her for a run on the country roads. Test the brakes, steering and generally learn to drive all over again. So happy Xmas to you all, will let you know any new discoveries as soon as I find them but suffice to say everything works and looking forward to any warm weather that passes my way.
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I wondered about that top down deal.

Those Lucas systems have quite a reputation.

The Lucas Electric motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

nice comments all of you!!
Nice car by the way, my father´s boss have a 1923 Chevy Touring. / Michael in Sweden
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Found a pic of the 1923 Chevy. Been stored since the 70´s, took the pic this fall when it was moved to the daughter of the boss. Her husband will make it drivable agian. They used to own a GM dealership in the town i live in. They still have N.O.S. brochures for 50´s olds and cadillac....
Attached Images
Bild0084.jpg (60.9 KB, 6 views)
Bild0085.jpg (72.3 KB, 7 views)
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Apart from the colour ...

... seems identical to the one sitting in my garage. Now I know where to go and ask for help. Great looking car .... let me know how the rebuild went.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Well!!

I just now had time to go thru the entire thread. First, congratulations on the great find! Other than a little "cleanup" on the engine, it actually looks to be in great shape already, & you want to make it concourse? My respect!
Not going to try to compete w/ all the amateur comedians around here, but it sure looks like you fit in just fine!
Keep us posted!

Ralph
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Had a triumph 500 TT motorcycle for a couple of years right after high school, when driving at night the head light would stop working for no reason then come back on, never could figure out the problem. You guessed it lucas electric's. A girl friend had an MG, a early sixty model, had inline fuses scattered around the car in different places, always chasing troubles in that car, when it rained everything stopped working, again Lucas electric's.
Old British cars!! - built so well. Used to have a Frog-Eye Sprite Driven daily but pent a lot of time coming home on the back of an AA truck. Generally electrics (Lucas!!) but once or twice real mechanicals - broken half shaft for example. Sadly long departed - sold when I moved to Far East for posting.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM

posting.
....means transferred to a new duty station!

'nother word that's different!

Ralph
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Posting is not ...

... a wrestling term!! For this side of the water it is when your are sent somewhere by your company (although it could also be military posting.) Spent best part of 20 years overseas with my company on business. Allows me to indulge myself in my older age with treats thanks to a generous pension scheme for putting up with third world economies and living conditions!! Although I have to say some where better than here - in fact most were!!
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Registered

Company?...Business?

Far East?.. Does "You Only Live Twice" ring any bells?

Cool... you got the car!, that means I'm glad you received the automobile.

Posting is posting the way I'm posting about posting in this post I'm posting.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh for God's sake!!!!!!
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM

... if I posted a post in the post and then posted a post in this post I'd be shaken but not stirred .... then I'd have to kill you However I won't, so I shan't
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Captain of my ship

same here , white T-shirt with a pack of smokes rolled up in the left sleeve. Blue jeans always and sneakers.
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:09 AM

...but don't you step on my .......?????

Ralph

Originally Posted by wolfman98
same here , white T-shirt with a pack of smokes rolled up in the left sleeve. Blue jeans always and sneakers.
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
... and white sports socks - that is if you can't find fluorescent ones!!
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

You are funny!!!!
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Captain of my ship

Always white socks to this day , at least they start out white
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM

.. I preferred the fluorescent lime green. Always helped you stand out in a crowd - especially with those purple lights.
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Sods/Murphy's Law strikes .....

... after waiting for almost 5 weeks for the rain and snow to clear went to start the Olds and take her for a leisurely drive in the early spring sunshine ... only to find a leaking carb!! Probably stuck through lack of use - so out with the tools off with the carb, in with the cleaning agents ... will put back tomorrow and charge the battery - hopefully will get a drive sometime this week if the weather holds - however forecast is more rain and snow - so maybe another week of waiting - should have been a doctor with the amount of patience I have!!
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Cutlass Lover

Sods?? I like that expression! Gotta remember it!!! I feel your pain... I'm going through major Cutlass withdrawl. Mine is parked in the garage behind the house - no driveway - so I have to wait to get her out until the yard dries up and the ground gets hard enough to drive on. It sucks! Sods!!
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Captain of my ship

... after waiting for almost 5 weeks for the rain and snow to clear went to start the Olds and take her for a leisurely drive in the early spring sunshine ... only to find a leaking carb!! Probably stuck through lack of use - so out with the tools off with the carb, in with the cleaning agents ... will put back tomorrow and charge the battery - hopefully will get a drive sometime this week if the weather holds - however forecast is more rain and snow - so maybe another week of waiting - should have been a doctor with the amount of patience I have!!

Early spring drive it's still Jan. is it not? I thought spring was in March but maybe over in the British Iles it comes earlier.No chance of spring here for quite some time yet , oh well I will get some TLC done on the Olds in the meantime.
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Two things I've learnt ....

... Sods and Murphys law dictate that anything dropped will always fall with the most inconvenient side on the floor and also that I am an eternal optimist - quite rightly spring doesn't start until March but with an amount of wishful thinking it could start earlier.
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Cutlass Lover

That's the spirit!!!! Each day I say "One day closer to spring"!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie - will be seeking help