The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Oldsmobile and hit the Jackpot

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2023, 04:32 PM

New to Oldsmobile and hit the Jackpot

Hello everyone. I am new to Oldsmobiles and I just hit the jackpot. Last weekend I picked up a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30, Sports coupe with a 4 speed manual. numbers matching engine, transmission, original intake, distributor, F code heads, OAI hood, carburetor, etc. From what I can find it is 1 of 142 made. The car is in need of a complete restoration, the only way a guy like me can afford one, but it is all there. I have read that there is a man named Stephen Minore that does verifications and inspections, basically an expert on these cars. Does anyone know how to get a hold of him? I would really like to speak with him before I do anything to the car. I do have the broadcast card, but it is in bad shape and of course it is ripped right at box 3 where it only states "W" (the 30 is missing). I look forward to learning more from all of you and if some one could point me in the direction to get ahold of Mr. Minore that would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Congrats on your find, welcome to the site. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:37 PM

Welcome, pics are needed. STAT!
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by BEYRES
I have read that there is a man named Stephen Minore that does verifications and inspections, basically an expert on these cars. Does anyone know how to get a hold of him? I would really like to speak with him before I do anything to the car. I do have the broadcast card, but it is in bad shape and of course it is ripped right at box 3 where it only states "W" (the 30 is missing). I look forward to learning more from all of you and if some one could point me in the direction to get ahold of Mr. Minore that would be greatly appreciated.
I do not know the gentleman (Stephen Minore); however, if you perform a "Search" (as I did), here are the results obtained. I'll leave it up to you to see if you can find his contact information. Good Luck. Welcome to CO.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=6796698
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Running On Empty

>>> Post 15
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Running On Empty

>>> Post 6
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Thank you for all the help. I messaged one of the guys and am going through the search. Thank you again!
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:08 PM

She is a little rough, needs complete restoration but how else can a normal guy buy one?
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:15 PM

Wow, very very lucky find..does she run at all? Few more pics if possible..Silver post, be beautiful when done..congratulations
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Old School Olds

Congrats! I'm along for the ride. Looks like some flat country, where are you at in the world?
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:25 PM

I saw that one for sale. Was a good deal! Now get her running and burning rubber!
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

Thank you for all the help. I messaged one of the guys and am going through the search. Thank you again!
You're welcome. I spent x5 years at (Barry) Switzerland (1984-1988) during grad school. During this time I was Norman from Norman.
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:29 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Congrats! I'm along for the ride. Looks like some flat country, where are you at in the world?
I'm going to guess just North of you across the Red River.

Old May 30th, 2023, 05:34 PM

Yep Oklahoma. And my wife is currently enrolled at OU for her Masters as well. Mama needs to hurry up and graduate to help pay for this...
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:46 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

This is the contact information I have for Minore:
203-623-3135 or casamperformance@sbcglobal.net

Does your car have the W27 rear-end under it?

Last edited by tnswt; May 30th, 2023 at 05:49 PM.
Old May 30th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Banned

Wow. Coupe even. Super cool. Even though it's raider colors. Super cool car.

Every time I see welcome to CO I think welcome to Colorado. Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile. Why people can't spell I just don't get. Super super cool car. Wing windows and sport mirrors!!!

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 30th, 2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old May 30th, 2023, 06:37 PM

Got ahold of Stephen and he is a really awesome guy and super knowledgeable. He was able to call out the stamping of Julian dates before I read them. Thank you all for the help.
Old May 30th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Very nice! That's what I like to see - unrestored and correct parts that look like they were born there. In a time when every 1970-72 Cutlass is an ersatz W30, it's refreshing to see a real one.
Old May 31st, 2023, 06:47 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Welcome aboard! Gotta save that beast!
Old May 31st, 2023, 12:25 PM
Olds Fanatic

Hello everyone. I am new to Oldsmobiles and I just hit the jackpot. Last weekend I picked up a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30, Sports coupe with a 4 speed manual. numbers matching engine, transmission, original intake, distributor, F code heads, OAI hood, carburetor, etc. From what I can find it is 1 of 142 made. The car is in need of a complete restoration, the only way a guy like me can afford one, but it is all there. I have read that there is a man named Stephen Minore that does verifications and inspections, basically an expert on these cars. Does anyone know how to get a hold of him? I would really like to speak with him before I do anything to the car. I do have the broadcast card, but it is in bad shape and of course it is ripped right at box 3 where it only states "W" (the 30 is missing). I look forward to learning more from all of you and if some one could point me in the direction to get ahold of Mr. Minore that would be greatly appreciated.
PM'd you Steve's email address.
Old May 31st, 2023, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Very nice! That's what I like to see - unrestored and correct parts that look like they were born there. In a time when every 1970-72 Cutlass is an ersatz W30, it's refreshing to see a real one.
Amen. Times ten at least
Old June 5th, 2023, 07:25 PM

Wow!!! What a beautiful car! Opinions are like small block chebby's, everyone has got one....so take my comment with a grain of salt.

IF this beauty were mine, I would leave it AS IS!! Get that baby mechanically, and electrically road worthy and safe, have some fun with it. Remember, they are only original once, you can restore them a million times and it's still restored. Way too many people get "restore happy" and don't realize what's in front of them. I've seen it way too often in the vintage snowmobile world too!

Also, it would cost less to do the above until you have the funds to retore it. Don't get me wrong, i truly appreciate the art of restoration (I love sheetmetal work and painting!!), but when is the last time you've seen a beautiful original like you have? How many like your's are restored out there?

Sorry for my rant, just my opinion, and that patina is excellent! You've gotta make it your own, because honestly the only opinion that matters is yours!!!

More pictures please!!
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldsbigblock
wow!!! What a beautiful car! Opinions are like small block chebby's, everyone has got one....so take my comment with a grain of salt.

If this beauty were mine, i would leave it as is!! Get that baby mechanically, and electrically road worthy and safe, have some fun with it. Remember, they are only original once, you can restore them a million times and it's still restored. Way too many people get "restore happy" and don't realize what's in front of them. I've seen it way too often in the vintage snowmobile world too!

Also, it would cost less to do the above until you have the funds to retore it. Don't get me wrong, i truly appreciate the art of restoration (i love sheetmetal work and painting!!), but when is the last time you've seen a beautiful original like you have? How many like your's are restored out there?

Sorry for my rant, just my opinion, and that patina is excellent! You've gotta make it your own, because honestly the only opinion that matters is yours!!!

More pictures please!! :d
x10
Old June 6th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Rear end stamping

Original carburetor stamping

EB stamped master cylinder

The more I learn the more I'm finding out the originality of this vehicle.
Old June 6th, 2023, 10:41 AM

Steve Minore can answer any and all questions along with many on this site. I have an original car myself, if I can help any feel free to reach out..I have learned a ton about these cars not only from Steve but others on this site who currently or have once owned one of these special cars. Inevitably, you’ll have to replace a few parts, but when you do, save all the originals if at all possible. I had to replace a master cylinder but kept my original, same with a few select other parts. I have to replace the bushings in rear swing arns top and bottom.. I get a lot of wheel hop, bushings are shot , you can see it visually .. I’m not looking forward to because it’s a pain in the *** job, but it must to be done. Try to do most of my own work, actually, I try to do all of it every now and then I have a buddy that’s really really good master mechanic that helps me out. Thats a very nice find..Enjoy and keep posting pics
Old June 6th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Thank you. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I've been in contact with Steve and he is extremely knowledgeable. While I won't claim to be a master mechanic by any stretch, luckily I have a background as a helicopter mechanic for 20 years. Big thing that concerns me is body work. It does have some holes in her that needs repaired. But like I said for know, I am just trying to learn and learn. Thank you again, I will for sure be reaching out because I'm sure I'll have a hundred questions.
Old June 6th, 2023, 12:19 PM

Thank you. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I've been in contact with Steve and he is extremely knowledgeable. While I won't claim to be a master mechanic by any stretch, luckily I have a background as a helicopter mechanic for 20 years. Big thing that concerns me is body work. It does have some holes in her that needs repaired. But like I said for know, I am just trying to learn and learn. Thank you again, I will for sure be reaching out because I'm sure I'll have a hundred questions.
Shoot, u fix helo’s your good to go on this. The metal and body work I did mine myself. I see you have some of the same issues. Again if I can help..
Old June 6th, 2023, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
Shoot, u fix helo’s your good to go on this. The metal and body work I did mine myself. I see you have some of the same issues. Again if I can help..
Yes sir, just retired less than a year ago after 20 years as a helicopter crew chief in the military. I do have a decent amount of experience on vehicles as well. But again, very little body work. If it's okay I will PM you when I have some questions.
Old June 6th, 2023, 01:08 PM
Banned

Where is your car from? The body doesn't look bad from here. Good luck with your project. Keep us updated.
Old June 6th, 2023, 04:44 PM

Welcome sir, as others have said, go slow, and save every darn thing, and take a bunch of pictures. I hope Costpenn and 70Post see your pics, they’re both Texans with tons of W30 experience.
Old June 6th, 2023, 04:47 PM

What sized holes do you have on the car? My humble opinion, get her going and do that last. Wished I lived closer (I'm in MN), I'd love to lend a helping hand. If it's floorboard holes, I'd patch them up first, do body holes later.

I learned from an older Hot Rodder buddy of mine when I was 15 years old doing my first Hot Rod long ago, get it going and have some fun, then take time later and do it how you wish. He has built every car like that, and I now know why---you get to work all the bugs out and if you scratch it you won't lose sleep, or swear...much

I'm doing exactly what I preach, and what my friend taught me, with my 455 Olds powered 76 GMC dually---all mechanical, electrical, safety items, floorboard patches, new carpet, re-built rearend, brakes, springs...etc. The patina stays, body rust and holes included!!! I'm gunna have some fun with this baby!! When my 4 beautiful daughters get older I may do bodywork and paint her up.

I should make this truck more Olds though, maybe she needs a Hurst 4-speed rock crusher...hmmmm.

You got a beautiful car there!!! Really appreciate the pictures you're posting! "If" I ever find my dream car (68 Olds 442 W30), I only hope it's as nice as yours!!! Most are trashed, or restored and unaffordable.

Old June 6th, 2023, 06:19 PM

Nice, Keep us posted of your progress with pics....we like pics.
Old June 7th, 2023, 06:31 AM

This is the worst spot/hole. Talking with Stephen, at some point someone installed a vinyl top. All documents and tags Stephen and I reviewed shows from factory it did not have one. Well, unfortunately, that top seems to have caused the most damage. Ate a hole in it and the roof is pretty rough. Quarters are a bit beat up. And there is just a few bad spots in only the drivers side floor pan
Old June 7th, 2023, 07:35 AM

This is the worst spot/hole. Talking with Stephen, at some point someone installed a vinyl top. All documents and tags Stephen and I reviewed shows from factory it did not have one. Well, unfortunately, that top seems to have caused the most damage. Ate a hole in it and the roof is pretty rough. Quarters are a bit beat up. And there is just a few bad spots in only the drivers side floor pan
Ouch..with all that pitting and thin spots you would be better off finding a whole top that is rust free and installing the top..there are a lot of old cutlasses around the top is good but the lower body is smoked..
Old June 7th, 2023, 07:42 AM
Banned

Ouch and yikes 😬 Definitely a car worth saving though.
Old June 7th, 2023, 08:29 AM
Rocket Renegade!

That is a big honkin' hole. Not being from the Northeast, I've never seen anything quite like it.
Old June 7th, 2023, 09:41 AM

If you have the room and the means, might be a good idea to find the best parts car you can?
Old June 7th, 2023, 10:37 AM

I figured an entire roof replacement. Like I said that is the worst and it's pretty bad. Luckily frame is solid and underside is nothing like the top.
Old June 7th, 2023, 10:58 AM

I agree but a roof panel will not include the sail panel where you have that hole below the lead seam, that is part of the quarter panel and only available on an original OEM or NOS piece if you can find one. I don't know of anybody reproducing that piece. The reproduction quarters are more like a skin and don't go that high. You may just have to fabricate a patch that would need a little work on an english wheel perhaps? I have a parts car that was invaluable for unique patches that were needed.

Last edited by scrappie; June 7th, 2023 at 02:38 PM.
Old June 7th, 2023, 06:56 PM

Now I see, thanks for posting up that picture! If you don't have a donor, I totally agree about a patch and english wheel if possible. A very good "makeshift" steel forming tool is a firm barstool pad, or a thin seat cushion, or a dense carpet patch. Hammer and dolly sets are affordable, a small sheet of steel goes a long ways! This is how I started, a bit more labor but it worked!

If you want to patch it yourself, cardboard is your friend too. Draw out a simple cutout around that hole (chalk, or sharpie, do straight lines like a square), cut a piece of cardboard a little larger than your lines, form cardboard with your fingers and trim as needed. When close, flatten the cardboard and trace it to that steel. Cut & form that piece of steel. Cut your rust hole out, perfectly fit the steel (magnets are also great to have!), then start tacking.

The above is only if you want to tackle it yourself though! I love doing this kind of stuff, especially for something like you have there! Man you got an awesome car!

Best of luck to you! That car is worth the time, and money!

These guys here would be another valuable source for info and parts too! I've bought some headers from them for my 455 (replaces factory manifolds, without modifying your factory exhaust!). Good people.

https://www.thorntonmusclecars.com/

Quick Reply: New to Oldsmobile and hit the Jackpot