The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member with a new (to me) Olds

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2019, 08:35 AM

New member with a new (to me) Olds

Hello all, I'm so glad to have found this group!.
I'm not what you'd call a "car guy" but I've had a real love for the Olds 442 since my first ride in one at 8 years old.
I'm not really sure what I've gotten myself into but as I write this there is a '71 convertible inside a car carrier heading my way. With any luck (and weather permitting it should arrive early tomorrow morning (7/19).
Hopefully you will have some patience with this nube because I have a feeling I'm about to ask a whole lot of questions.
I plan to make the car into a touring vehicle. I don't want a show car, just something that starts up and goes whenever I'm in the mood to drive. I'll plan to spend some time driving it "as is" before I start any projects, but I'm already thinking about disc brakes all around, larger tires/wheels, suspension upgrades and maybe EFI and a new exhaust system.I know that there are a few things wrong with the car (temperamental top, windshield wipers, heater blower and idle/timing adjustments) so my first need is any recommendations for a trusted shop in North Eastern PA.
Any tips, advice or useful information will be very appreciated!
I'm adding some picture from the dealership and I'll add more when the car is sitting on my driveway because who doesn't like pictures?
Wishing you all the best,
-Jeff

Old July 18th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Congrats and welcome to the site.
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Really glad to be here!
-Jeff
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM

Good looking car Congrats!. That looks like a nice example of a 442 convertible.
FYI, this is just my $.02 but if that car has paperwork documenting authenticity and if all the drivetrain components match the VIN (numbers matching) and it still has original parts on it, It may decrease the value by upgrading to disc brakes and EFI. It is your vehicle to do what you want but to the Olds purists and some car collectors, the originality adds to the value. I guess if you change anything its important to keep original parts so it can always be put back to original.
The 1971 Olds 442 was the last year for the model and after that it was a pick your parts option. That car has a VIN that starts with 344671 and that alone denotes its a 71 442 conv. In 72 the VIN could be similar to any cutlass so those cars are easy to fake without paperwork. Your 71 is a 442 if the VIN starts 344. It automatically came with a 455 cu in among other things and after that year that was not the case.
You will find a wealth of knowledge here and varying opinions.
Looks nice and good luck with car!

Last edited by scrappie; July 18th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:21 AM

Welcome aboard
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:54 AM

First of all, welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by Jeff Fed
I plan to make the car into a touring vehicle. I don't want a show car, just something that starts up and goes whenever I'm in the mood to drive.
Second, that IS a show car. Very nice. You could bring it as-is to any show and it would fit right in. I was expecting to see a rolling project from your description.

As for a local shop, I suggest you do the work yourself. Nothing on that car is insurmountable, you just need some tools and guidance. Start by asking specific questions here and you will get very informative responses to help you work on the car yourself.

Last edited by Fun71; July 18th, 2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Old School Olds

Damn... Beautiful. A 71 vert, sweet. Is that bittersweet? Looks like it needs nothing. If it is a drum brake unit, discs would be all I would do. Welcome to the group. Enjoy and congrats!
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Wow! I'm really excited to see the replies I've been getting to my post. Thank you Jamesbo, Fun71 & Scrappie!

Fun71 - please let me clarify my "show car" statement, I just mean she will never be a trailer queen, this car will be driven and enjoyed.
Also, I'm very encouraged by what you said about doing my own work. I have a garage with a bunch of tools and I'm not scared of turning a wrench. I'll get into that this winter. For now I just want to have a professional iron out some issues so I can enjoy the car before PA starts pouring salt all over the roads.

Scrappie - Thank you for your $.02, very much appreciated!
The car's Vin is 344671Mxxxxxx so it checks out as a '71 442 convertible.
I've confirmed that the engine # matches but the TH400 is new(er). I don't yet have the car in my possession but I will look for other numbers to see what matches when I do. The car is supposed to come with an accordion folder full of receipts and other documentation that I'm looking forward to going thru. We'll see what I come across when I get into that stuff (is a window sticker and original build sheet to much to hope for?).
I have thought a little about resale value but the car was bought for my personal enjoyment. When I'm done with it (ie: dead) it will go to my daughter because I know she will care for it (I'd never let my wife drive something like this, she's a menace and deserves the Mini Cooper beater she abuses on a daily basis).
The upgrades I'm looking into are bolt-on because I can't weld (yet) and I don't really want to drill into anything. I may have to do some mods to fit larger brakes and wheels, but I'll cross that bridge when (and if) I come to it. Oh, and I'll be asking questions on the forum before I do ANYTHING!

Thank you all again for welcoming me to the forums, I really think I'm going to like it here!

-Jeff
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome tru-blue 442!
I just figured out how to look at user albums and I have to say that your '66 is SICK! I love it!
Best,
-Jeff
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:39 PM

Fun71 - please let me clarify my "show car" statement, I just mean she will never be a trailer queen, this car will be driven and enjoyed.
Also, I'm very encouraged by what you said about doing my own work. I have a garage with a bunch of tools and I'm not scared of turning a wrench. I'll get into that this winter. For now I just want to have a professional iron out some issues so I can enjoy the car before PA starts pouring salt all over the roads.
That's the attitude! Drive it and enjoy it.

As for the issues you mentioned (temperamental top, windshield wipers, heater blower and idle/timing adjustments) those are things that we can help you with, and should be fairly simple for you to resolve. Lots of folks here have been there, done that and will be able to guide you. Make sure it runs, stops, and steers properly, then hit the roads!
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:49 PM

Welcome! Beautiful car!
Old July 18th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Old School Olds

Last edited by tru-blue 442; July 18th, 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 01:25 PM

It's official, I really like it here! All you guys have been so helpful and I haven't even asked any questions yet.
I really do appreciate all the support, encouragement, compliments and advice that I've received so far, you really make a guy feel welcomed!

Fun71- "runs, stops, and steers", gotcha, those are the immediate priorities. Can't wait to get to the "hit the roads" part but I'll need to get some plates and pass inspection first. Hopefully I get all that done early next week.

Best,
-Jeff
Old July 18th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Old School Olds

^^^That was supposed to be a quote, I need a beer,.

Ha ha, I don't know what hell is going on. So much for an edit, lol.
The Pic, lol.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; July 18th, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 01:44 PM

tru-blu 442 - Great pic, great story, great car! YOU ROCK!
Thank you,
-Jeff

I need a beer too!
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:06 PM

I will look for other numbers to see what matches when I do
The only numbers that "match" are the VIN to a derivative of the VIN on the engine and on the transmission. You've already said that the transmission is not original, so the number on it won't match. So there's only one potentially matching number to look for, and that's on the engine.
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:34 PM

Thank you jaunty75,
I understand that the drive-train numbers are the important ones. I was under the impression that there are other parts that are stamped with date codes and other codes which could identify them as original. I have a lot to learn. I appreciate your input.
Best,
-Jeff
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:40 PM

I was under the impression that there are other parts that are stamped with date codes and other codes which could identify them as original.
There are date codes here and there, but they don't "match" anything. What you want to find is that the date code on, for example, the alternator (assuming there is a date code) is shortly before the build date of the car if you want to see if the alternator might be original. But even that only proves that it was made prior to the car's assembly, so it could be original, but it doesn't prove that it is. The original alternator could have been replaced in, say, 1976 with another one that was NOS from the year the car was built.

The bottom line is that there is no way to absolutely prove that any part, other than the engine and transmission, are original to the car. Other parts can be date correct for the period, but that doesn't prove they are original to the car.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Very nice car. Is the 442 Sable brown or Sienna? Good time to get the convertible, especially with the short summer season in the Poconos. lol
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:02 PM

Looks like you found a really nice car! Like everyone said make sure the brakes and steering are all good,check to make sure there are no fuel leaks etc and enjoy.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:38 PM

jaunty75 - Great info, Thank you!

Tj Pal - Sound advice. I'm getting a full mechanical inspection done by a trusted trusted neighbor before I even drive to the local auto shop for my state inspection. Looking forward to posting a pic of the car with the PA sticker on the windshield!

Happy motoring,
-Jeff
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:51 AM

Beautiful ride Jeff and welcome to the group!
Old July 19th, 2019, 04:09 AM

Welcome. Definitely a cool Olds.
Old July 19th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Holy crap, nice. Best of luck
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Jeff,

Congratulations on your new '71! My brother-in-law, who lives in the Tampa area, took it for a test drive several months ago and he told me that it was a really nice car and that it was a lot of fun out on the road. From what I saw of the restoration photos, a previous owner had put a lot of love into making it a car of which you can be very proud. Have fun, enjoy it and welcome to the forum!