The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Member looking for advice on purchasing a 1951 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2019, 07:22 PM

New Member looking for advice on purchasing a 1951 Super 88

Hey! Really happy I found this forum, was worried there wouldn't be a good source of information for this car.

So to start this off, I have no particular experience or attachment to 1950s oldsmobiles, but I have always appreciate there style and build. I wasn't even looking for one when this one came to my attention and its actually being offered as a trade for my 1982 Austin Mini. And well the owners been super helpful I wanted to get some information from a 3rd party before I commit to the trade.

So the trade to start is a bit weird my mini is only worth roughly $8,000-$11,000 and the seller who currently has a ridiculous amount of classic cars is willing to do a straight over trade even though hes telling me reportedly the value of the super 88 is around $14,000-$16,000 in current condition and could obtain a valuation over $20,000 once the relatively minor amount of repairs are done. I've seen the car and its registration in person and talked to the owner in length, the deal is legit, he just wants a mini and happens to have this super 88 he doesn't need.

All prices converted to equivalent USD values.

The story on the car is that its a recent barn find in the last few years. Assumed it was stored for roughly 30 years at the time of discovery. Motor and frame are matching serials as well. It currently needs a out of province inspection (basically a over glorified safety inspection) as it was last registered in another province.

Couple notes on Condition I made when I was checking the car over.

Front and rear chrome bumpers faded and peeling, dented or significant rust pushing through on several areas.
Front window is completely trashed.
All 4 fender wells show light surface rust but no apparent structural penetration.
Undercarriage shows light surface rust in spots, largely centered around rear axle and leaf springs. No apparent signs of frame damage.
Interior fabric shows minor wear and moderate/heavy water staining on seat fabric and door cards. Owner is in the process of fabric spray painting the seats/doors/roof to cover the water staining.
Engine starts and runs. Minor hesitation when you give it gas but I largely attribute this to the fact it hasn't been run much or often.
Original fuel pump was changed for an electric fuel pump.
Turn signals currently non functional by fault in the wiring. Other functions tested well.

Photo Album of the shots I was able to get well checking out the car. Sadly some of them didn't turn out nearly as well as would have hoped. https://imgur.com/a/a7Ckdob

Anyways, so thats the deal and what I know. What I don't really know is how true to his estimations the value of these cars really is and how desirable they are to collectors. I've also never worked on a oldsmobile before, or frankly any car earlier then the 1980s so I'm a bit intimidated by potential oversights I might make due to unfamiliarity. Ideally my goal if I make this trade would be do restore it to the best of my ability drive it a bit and then sell it for a bit of a profit. I am also located in western Canada as I assume geographical location is going to play a large part in value and ability to resell this car in a timely manner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:39 PM

The bumpers can be re-chromed. There are places all over that do that. The paint is another story. Little spots of rust means the body is rusting under the paint and needs to be refinished. This is pretty expensive if you don't have the means of doing it yourself. To me the price seems too high for the condition it's in but then prices vary quite a bit around the country.
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by FN723
The bumpers can be re-chromed. There are places all over that do that. The paint is another story. Little spots of rust means the body is rusting under the paint and needs to be refinished. This is pretty expensive if you don't have the means of doing it yourself. To me the price seems too high for the condition it's in but then prices vary quite a bit around the country.

I should clarify there is no rust on the exterior at all. And the original paint is still decent and shouldn't really need much more then a good clean and buff. Though there might be the odd scratch. The surface rust I mentioned was in the inner fender well (theres some photos of the rust in the link)
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:21 PM

Things that I see that will cost more or are a devalue in my opinion.
The first thing that I noticed was it has to many doors, if you plan on somehow on making a profit after restoration I don't think this will happen, coupes are more desirable and bring extra money. The bumper dents from what I can see can probably be restored by a good chrome shop (not cheap). To me the upholstery will need to be redone depending how particular you are and if this will be just a driver, again not cheap. Lots of little things but it has it has good bones, it would be a great Saturday night cruiser in my opinion. I don't think that is original paint but I see places that have over spray that shouldn't be there. I don't think it is a super 88 but a regular 88. Engine certainly is a re spray.

Here is a value of classic cars certainly not the holey grail of pricing but it may help in finding where that car lies in value.http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...-88-value.html

Most of us do this for the love of the build or because it was dads old ride. Seldom is there a profit made especially on a flip.. Just my thoughts.... By the way I like 4 doors.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 12th, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I don't think it is a super 88 but a regular 88.

Most of us do this for the love of the build or because it was dads old ride. Seldom is there a profit made especially on a flip.. Just my thoughts.... By the way I like 4 doors.... Tedd

Is there a way to decode the serial to know if its a super or regular 88?

Generally wouldn't try and flip for profit, but since I have a pending cash offer of $7200 on the mini I had intended to take before this trade offer it seems like it has potential to flip for a situational profit. Hell I'd be stoked to sell this as is for $10,000 and pocket the $2800 at that point. But I'm not afraid of restoring it to a point, I'm not capable of perfect show quality restores right now but certainly could bring it back to life in earnest.

Last edited by DonDaze; September 12th, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old September 12th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. IMHO, its a 4 door sedan that has little collectability and needs probably $10k worth of work to make it a very presentable driver. Its worth about $5k in its current state. I would not do the trade.
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:49 AM

From memory I don't think they made supers in fifty one but if you give us a picture of the cowl tag someone here will be able to decipher it. Do you know if it runs, stops or goes backwards in a decent order ?Lost in the fifties...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 13th, 2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old September 13th, 2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
From memory I don't think they made supers in fifty one but if you give us a picture of the cowl tag someone here will be able to decipher it. Do you know if it runs, stops or goes backwards in a decent order ?Lost in the fifties...Tedd
I posted a photo of the cowl tag in the picture album.

It does run, stop and and reverse. Only thing I noticed is it had a slight hiccup when you initially gave it gas were it takes a second to start going. I chocked that up to just not having enough time to warm up and having not being ran very often lately.
Old September 13th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Does it look like this?

Old September 13th, 2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Does it look like this?

yes.

Old September 13th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Eric and Tedd are spot on with their comments. Remember also that this car sat for 30 years.
Old September 13th, 2019, 03:24 PM

It is a Super 88. I agree that it's not original paint, and I might give it a higher value than the 5k mentioned, depending on how well it ran and drove, but the present owner has it way over valued.
Old September 13th, 2019, 03:48 PM

It looks like an older repaint, it looks to shiny for the original paint. "More doors" are not sought after, unless its an extremely rare model. I'd not want it myself, and its worth far less to me than what Oldcutlass suggested as a fair price. The biggest mistake people make is they are "smarter than the average bear" and can turn a profit.
......Just my two cents worth.
Old September 13th, 2019, 04:37 PM

I ended up declining the trade. Taking in what everyone has to say here it doesn't seem worth it. Thanks to everyone for information it was very helpful.
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There is no way in the world that car is worth $14,000 - $16,000. Probably about half of that. Granted the car looks pretty good but somebody had put lipstick on a pig. To rechrome just the bumpers is probably $2.500. The upholstery would be probably at least $5,000. Then if it has to have any mechanical work you are digging way deeper in your pocket. I spent $2,500 about 3 years ago having the hydra-matic in my 54 rebuilt. Then you have the issue that it is a 4-door. I think the Mini is a lot more marketable than this car. The seller is out somewhere in the twilight zone on his pricing. If it were a 2-door hardtop I would feel differently. Unfortunately cars for the 50's are starting to decline in value as the people that had them new are fading. Tedd and I were just kids in the 50's so we are a little unusual for guys owning and driving 50's cars. Sorry to spoil the party but those are just the facts.
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I see you declined the offer. I had started my post earlier then went to dinner and came back and finished it. I think this community served you well. Hopefully you find another Olds.
Old September 14th, 2019, 02:40 AM

Well at least a brother... Bill

Old July 18th, 2023, 07:13 PM
gpaul51

I'm about 2/3 done on a rebuild of a '51 Super 88 2dr sedan, also in Western Canada....Spruce Grove Alberta. My email is gpaul40@tyelus.net if you want to chat about my experience.
Gary Paul
Old July 18th, 2023, 09:55 PM

Old post that I just re-read. Things I missed or forgot tell I looked it over for the second time. Might be of interest to someone new in the game looking at a like car The car has no wiper motor and would need a Newport conversion or the original wiper motor put back on with a new fuel pump. My car re-chrome on just the front and back bumpers was about $3500.oo, but that was in California, it's expensive in this state. There is a reason there is water damage on the headliner and seats, check it out, something is leaking somewhere. And the shudder on take off is probably a bad accelerator pump and after sitting for 50 some years a com pleat re-build would be in order. That is with a quick from a distance look, I bet there is more and it all adds up quickly, it helps a lot if you can do most of these repairs yourself.. Tedd