The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member from Delaware; 1955 Olds 98

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM

New member from Delaware; 1955 Olds 98

Greetings from the great state of Delaware! I'm a new member that recently purchased a 1955 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday. She's a great car that needs a little bit of work to get her on the road I don't have any pictures yet, but as soon as I get some I will post them. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I've never owned an Oldsmobile before.

I also own a 1950 Ford Shoebox.
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Welcome! Yes pic's when you get em!
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Here is a picture (hopefully if it posted it right) of her at the place I bought her at. She was listed on the HAMB. I thought she would be a pretty nice project because the body is in decent shape but she doesn't run, the brakes are inop, the fuel tank is out, and the interior is apart. I was told that she was last ran about 10 years ago.

A couple of days ago I had her running off of a soda bottle and she sounded great! I'm getting ready to send out the fuel tank to get sealed. I've used moyer tank renu in the past so I think I'm going to use them again. They did a great job last time.

I've been doing some research on the brakes. I would like to install a dual system master cylinder and maybe do disk brakes up front. I want her to be a safe ride because this is going to be my wife's car.

I was trying to look at the thread by "hialeah56" which seems to have a boat load of pictures in it but I can't view them. Do I need a photobucket account? I'm not very good with computers.

I'll get some more pictures taken of her in the near future.

Old July 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Welcome aboard, love those 55's

Disks brakes are very doable Scarebird makes a kit and so does Mike Pendleton(SP?). With common tools and patience most any one can install this setup. A dual reservoir master cylinder on the other hand requires quite a bit of changing around. The early master cylinders were all single reservoirs and 55's had a separate vacuum tank, all this is mounted under the floor.To change it around you must move it to the firewall you will need to change how the swing peddles work( change to something like a S10 peddle setup) and adapt a later type of master cylinder(S10 will work here also) and vacuum booster combo. Then mount all this to the firewall where the air box is now located, match it all up so everything lines up correctly. All doable but a lot harder to do than to say or type.

It looks as though Hialeah56"s photo- bucket account may have run out and all the photos have been deleted (just a guess) sorry about that it was a great post on this very subject... Lost in the fifties... Tedd
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:26 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, nice looking car. Where in DE are you? I might not be to far from you. I live near Easton, MD on the Eastern Shore. Maybe we could get together if you need a hand.

Larry
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Welcome satan! (Now there's something I never figured I'd say.) Very very sharp 98, and what a perfect project car. I'm in Baltimore, so like Larry I'm wondering where you are in DE.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM

It's been a little while since I've been on Classic Olds. I live in Wilmington. Good to know theres some Olds guys close to me to help if I need a hand.

I found a great thread on installing a dual master cylinder in the orginal location. It was posted by "Olds Dad". Hopefully if I can pick up some OT to get the parts, this will be one of my winter projects.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Wow, nice car.
Old November 15th, 2020, 10:36 PM

Wellcome.
I cannot see the pics?!?

Last edited by Pat55Olds; November 15th, 2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old November 16th, 2020, 03:06 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Pat, one of the fun things about this site is that you have to check the thread dates. You're replying o a 2012 thread.
Old November 16th, 2020, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Pat, one of the fun things about this site is that you have to check the thread dates. You're replying o a 2012 thread.
Hahahaha, yes I saw that
I though he was a fellow newbie with a 55 too.... Hahaha
Thanks Franck